09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
10:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 07:59:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[315] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[250] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[42] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[37] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[18] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[17] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW are good are they?  (Read 2021 times)
Jim

View Profile WWW
« on: September 19, 2007, 06:53:52 »

Made several journies on Saturday, whilst chasing tours/freight:

Start on a good note, I got the 0638 Trowbridge-STJ (Severn Tunnel Junction railway station), got a seat on a pretty rough looking 158, with, O yes, the windows open.

Next I took the 0825 STJ-Bristol TM(resolve), which was a 150, not exactly clean and tidy, but we did get some seats.

The next job was to try and do some HST (High Speed Train) moves (which got abandoned in the end) Firstly we got the 0900 from BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) to Bath, 180102 which was full and standing, and I'm pretty sure it would of turned pax away by Swindon

Next was 0923 Bath Spa - Trowbridge, Full and Standing, but the timekeeping wasn't too bad, got in about 5 late.

After spending some time foting in Trowbridge, we were going to try and go to Bath, we ran for the 1118 (which arrived at 1136) which had a SWT (South West Trains) 158 on the front, but it was still wedged, and there was about 15 people left behind. 1144 pulled in, and only just got everyone on, one of those noses against the window jobs!

We decided to get the 1150 to Westbury in the end, which was a roasting 158871, which we got seats on, at each end of the carrige anyway!

Next we took the 1238 to Oldfield Park (to fot a spoooon) and it arrived 2 minutes late, but, you guessed it, FULL AND STANDING. Turned 1 person away at Freshford

The best unit journey of the day, came on the 1421 from Oldfield PK-Bath Spa, which was FIVE coaches, of which we got 3 to our selves, however I must stress that it had come back from Cardiff, after going there 5 car full up earlier on.

On to a HST, formed of extremaly comfertable un-refurbished  coaches. 1513 Bath-Chippenham. Obliviousally it was a high speed, so didn't get ticket checked. Arrival was 5 late

Next was 1525 Chippenham  - Westbury, being a Melksham line train, it was emptyish, but TWO people got off at Melksham and ONE got on! Local service, so we did get ticket checked, however it was 158816, with, you guessed it, the windows open!

Next journey after foting some HST's, we took the 1632 to Freshford, of which there was a massive FIVE bikes on! 150219 did the trip, getting us in 7 late, of which we got a seat after AVONCLIFF!

Finally 150233 took us to STJ, which we got a TABLE on.

For me though, the day wasn't over, I needed to get back to Trowbridge!

1924 from STJ, arrived at 1948, when I say wedged, I mean it. 150 vice the amended booked 150+153. The muppets operating the 'q' at Cardiff put a FULL LOAD on the train. There was 2 of us at STJ waiting to get on it, and we both did, in the guards door on the 150. Had to stay there to Bristol, where nearly everyone got off, and I got a seat back to Trowbridge.

Someone tell me FGW (First Great Western) operate a good service!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 07:20:23 »

I wont tell you they operate a good service Jim because they dont operate enough rolling stock at weekends and soon won't have enough rolling stock to operate an acceptable service to cope with demand.

What concerns me is that commuter groups such as MTLS (More Train Less Strain) and 'I Hate FGW (First Great Western)' are doing a great job at highlighting the woes of travelling Monday to Friday, but not many people other than yourself are highlighting the huge problem of overcrowding on services at weekends.

Occasional travellers who decide to use the train one weekend either end up getting crammed into a dirty unrefurbished train or worse still get left behind at the station. Do you think when they need to go somewhere again on a weekend they will consider using the train again after a poor experience? Probably not and this is what the new MD Andrew Haines, or whatever his job title is, needs to sort out. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: