Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:12:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  
Author Topic: No Standard Class standees in First Class vestibules.  (Read 41585 times)
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2011, 02:58:47 »

Incidentally, East Midlands First Class scores some points over FGW (First Great Western); china crockery laid out on table, prompt at-seat service, glossy 'welcome' brochure incorporating menus and a little more generous with the freebies (!). However, the seating layout of the Meridians (?) is poor, with several seats having no window and the general feel and decor inferior to FGW HST (High Speed Train). Long live the Mk 3!

I travel occasionally on East Midlands Trains, but I'm in steerage. And on the Meridians, the experience is so so much better than the cattle truck that is an FGW HST. Light and open coaches, and tables as well.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2011, 05:58:46 »

While the seating density of a FGW (First Great Western) HST (High Speed Train) Standard Class carriage is greater than a Meridian, surely more bums on seats is a good thing? With room for upwards of 20 extra seated passengers in a FGW HST Standard Class carriage over the old layout. That's 20 less standees. Cows don't get to sit down in their transport so I would hardly call it a cattle truck.

Unless I was Bob Crow.  Wink
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 06:21:15 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2011, 16:35:55 »

This was tweeted by Nigel Harris editor of RAIL magazine this morning:

East Coast not just asking, now ORDERING standard px not to walk thru 1st class to leave train at KX!

It did seem a bit heavy handed. Very stern - you WILL be asked to return to your booked accommodation

Either this problem has got so bad on East Coast services that it was hard to ignore or East Coast are responding to complaints made by first class passengers or staff. Can't see how they can really enforce this without having a team of RPIs (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) on board.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2011, 16:38:43 »

The latter - and they're putting crew between Standard & 1st class & refusing entry.

The problem was getting so bad that the queue to alight was passing through more than the front coach - and people were racing each other to get to the front, so they were arriving earlier & earlier.

If I was paying those prices, I'd want the queue prevented too.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 05, 2011, 11:48:49 »

On a recent* journey I was most impressed by the determination of the train manager in moving/attempting to move standard class passengers from first class.

On the 18-03 from Paddington, many customers with standard class tickets wanted to stand in F, obstructing the work of the catering crew.
When asked to move, many became abusive and claimed that they had no option but to stand in F owing to lack of space elswhere.

The train manager stated that seats woulld be available in A , and whilst I could not verify this for myself, I have no reason to doubt it.

Those standing then changed their complaint, and stated that they did NOT want to sit, but wanted to stand "with more room" i.e. in First.

The train manager suggested that in that case they should purchase first class tickets. "oh no, that is much too expensive"

Some of these passengers stated that they would write and complain about the actions of the train manager.

Whilst I could not hear everything, my impresion was that he acted correctly at all times, despite the poor behaviour of the passengers concerned, some of whom appeared drunk.

*Is it in order for me to state the date on which this occured ? That would indentify the train manager in question. Not certain if this is allowed ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #125 on: September 05, 2011, 11:50:38 »

Does it really matter? This is a regular occurance on the 1803...
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 05, 2011, 13:17:02 »

Does it really matter? This is a regular occurance on the 1803...

The 18.03 is advertised PICK UP only at Reading, yet when ever I catch it from Reading , you can't get ON for all those getting off.

FGW (First Great Western) should do 3 things.

1 STOP TM(resolve)'s from announcing Reading as a Calling point at Paddington and again when approaching Reading.

2 Put the RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) teams on board from Paddington, "Sorry that's a Ticket to Reading IT'S NOT Valid"
   Twice the Open Single PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) to Taunton is HOW MUCH

3 Get the TM to open only doors on Carriages F to A at Reading, there doesn't have to be any annoucement about G & H staying Locked Ther's NO ONE on board to get OFF

I tend only to use the "Golden Hind" from Reading (is the 18.03 from Pad still called the Golden Hind) but at Paddington is Reading shown as a calling point?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 13:23:31 by smokey » Logged
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 05, 2011, 13:30:18 »

Yes the 1803 is still called the Golden Hind.
I agree that as the Reading stop is meant to be pick up only, that it should not be announced at Paddington, nor on the train.

Although the timetable gives the Reading stop as pick up only, the train is still anounced as calling at Reading.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 05, 2011, 13:33:43 »

Yes but just keeping Coach G & H Locked will soon stop all the Standing in First Class.
BandHcommuter

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 05, 2011, 15:09:11 »

Yes the 1803 is still called the Golden Hind.
I agree that as the Reading stop is meant to be pick up only, that it should not be announced at Paddington, nor on the train.

Although the timetable gives the Reading stop as pick up only, the train is still anounced as calling at Reading.

According to this timetable http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Documents/Custom/TTs%20Apr%20'11/GW11M_TT07_WEB_V1.pdf I can use the 1803 to Reading except on Fridays. Good thing too because it relieves some of the overcrowding on the much busier 1800 and 1806.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 05, 2011, 15:27:50 »

Interesting, as posted above, the timetable linked to in the previous post suggests that the Golden Hind may be used to travel from Paddington to Reading, except on Fridays.

This timetable thoughhttp://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Documents/Custom/TTs%20Apr%20'11/GW11M_TT04_WEB_V3.pdf
States that Reading is pick up only every weekday, not just Fridays.

One might hope that the information would at least be the same, no matter which current timetable was consulted.

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 05, 2011, 15:42:25 »

Live Departure systems have a Reading call as arriving at 1830 and leaving at 1833. Presumably it's simply advertised incorrectly in the FGW (First Great Western) timetable.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 05, 2011, 18:02:47 »

Well having a Train Pick Up (or Set down) only being different is Just Dumb Stupid but then we are talking First Group here.

Anyway Last Time I boarded the Down Hind it was at Reading and on FRIDAY 2nd September and I had to wait for Dozens to Get OFF!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 11:52:15 by smokey » Logged
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 05, 2011, 21:59:09 »

As this is now one of the last Restaurant Trains running surely obstructing the work of the Catering Staff in providing a service in F is rather inconsiderate in the least.

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 06, 2011, 00:22:30 »

As this is now one of the last Restaurant Trains running surely obstructing the work of the Catering Staff in providing a service in F is rather inconsiderate in the least.
Pretty sure there is a bylaw offence "interfering with railway business" or something along those lines.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  

Jump to: