Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:15 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 20:20:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[249] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[57] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[38] Cornish delays
[36] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[20] Where have I been?
[20] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Swindon to Oxford - new proposal from the "Go!" Coop  (Read 88994 times)
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2010, 06:43:17 »

As for running to Weymouuth i suppose it will be ok on sundays so there should be at least a few paths along the single line between Upwey & Yeovil pen mill
gwr2006

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2010, 15:18:44 »

I am not sure if a class 67 is wired to work with a DBSO (Driving Brake Standard Open (carriage)). the only loco that can as far as i am aware are class 31's & class 33/1's

The DBSO's were originally converted to work with Class 47/7 on the Glasgow-Edinburgh route and were then rewired to work with Class 86/2 electrics on the London-Norwich route.  Five are used by Network Rail with Class 31's as part of the track monitoring trains.  The TDM equipment can be modified to suit the intended motive power - so a class 67 would be possible with a few alterations.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2010, 15:34:29 »

Does anyone know the answer to my question before I contact them.  I'm quite interested in investing: ^100 is ok, but I can't afford to risk/tie up ^500.  To be eligible for the lower investment "subscribers should live within ten miles of a railway station named in this document, or five miles of any other named location."

What do they mean by named location?  Would the mention of "To Bristol and Exeter" be enough to make me eligible, as I live within Bristol?
willc

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2010, 23:19:49 »

I am not sure if a class 67 is wired to work with a DBSO (Driving Brake Standard Open (carriage)). the only loco that can as far as i am aware are class 31's & class 33/1's

The DBSO's were originally converted to work with Class 47/7 on the Glasgow-Edinburgh route and were then rewired to work with Class 86/2 electrics on the London-Norwich route.  Five are used by Network Rail with Class 31's as part of the track monitoring trains.  The TDM equipment can be modified to suit the intended motive power - so a class 67 would be possible with a few alterations.

More than a few. Class 67s don't have TDM. They (and the 66s) are equipped with Association of American Railroads multiple working kit, which is why the Mk3 DVTs(resolve) used by Wrexham & Shropshire and with the EWS (English Welsh & Scottish Railway Ltd, now known as DB Schenker Rail (UK (United Kingdom)))/DB» (Deutsche Bahn - German State Railway - about) Schenker company train have modified driving cab controls and wiring to be compatible with the AAR» (Association of American Railroads - about) system, so if you were to use 67s, the DBSOs would require similar conversion work.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2010, 02:01:27 »

Do they have any plans to include First Class provision and a catering service ^ la Wrexham and Shropshire?

Also with a name like "Go!" perhaps they ought to consider using Thunderbird locomotives!!!  Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2010, 02:14:03 »

On First Class - yes, they may offer first class ticket services, but they do not want to take up too many seats with this.

On catering - they are open to suggestions as to what catering provision passengers would use: for example, mobile trolleys or a fixed buffet.

(Source: Swindon launch meeting presentation, on Wednesday 21 April).

C. Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2010, 16:59:44 »

I would have though it would be better to run services to Salisbury & Brighton rather than Yeovil and get FGW (First Great Western) to run an hourly Bristol TM(resolve) - Yeovil Pen Mill service with trains continuing to Weymouth every 2 hours.

I did have look at whether or not it was possible to operate some of these trains through to Brighton which i think would be a good destination to serve especially in the summer months.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2010, 19:16:15 »

I think it's best if they learn to walk before running. A modest start is better to help bed things in, get an idea of the market and then look to expand to new destinations.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2010, 19:33:11 »

Swindon - Salibury maybe viable, but extending them to Southampton and especially Brighton would be unrealistic. 

The Southampton - Brighton line is already congested, and not really in FGW (First Great Western) core territory.  ( Especially west of PHB ).

Also, if I were going to Southampton or Brighton, I would find it just as quick to go to Reading/London and change there.

Oxford - Swindon - Yeovil is my choice!!  Wink

Here, there and Everywhere!!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2010, 08:57:45 »

Given the high cost of running loco-hauled trains, the frequency of services proposed, and the fairly limited market for travel between the stations on the chosen route, I have to say that I really don't think this is a viable proposition .  In fact I thought it was an April fool when Graham started the topic on March 29th, but it certainly is an interesting idea and I wish them well!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2010, 22:54:38 »

Given the high cost of running loco-hauled trains...
Can anyone give an idea of how expensive or not it really is? We're talking here of medium (several years) leases, not spot hire for one train per week. IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) the variable track access charges for a loco would be paid for by about three extra passengers.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2010, 23:39:03 »

From the Swindon Go! coop launch meeting, which I attended:

They have employed professional consultants, who have confirmed that their preferred route would be financially viable;

Costs will be in the region of ^5m to ^6m a year to run the trains;

They do have the financial backing for this venture.

See pages 7 to 10, and 13 & 14, in particular, in the Go! offer document.

Chris. Smiley

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 00:34:30 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2010, 22:47:51 »

They have employed professional consultants, who have confirmed that their preferred route would be financially viable;

I don't dispute they have, and you could certainly say that professional consultants would probably have a better idea than myself of course.  However, it all depends on the methodology used to come to that conclusion.  After all, there's plenty of examples where usage figures for reasonably recent projects have either been grossly over or underestimated.  Ebbw Vale Parkway and the Midland Metro are two cases highlighting both extremes, and you can be sure that professional consultants would have been used to come up with those totally inaccurate predictions!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2010, 22:59:28 »

... and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, IndustryInsider.  Wink

I did attend the Swindon launch meeting, and I listened very carefully to what they had to say.

My reference to their Offer Document was simply to draw attention to what they have published, on certain aspects of their proposals.

C.  Lips sealed

Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2010, 17:27:54 »

Is there any update on how the company is progressing with its plans?  Can't see anything too recent on their website.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: