Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:04:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Swindon to Oxford - new proposal from the "Go!" Coop  (Read 88407 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2010, 17:44:01 »

Is there any update on how the company is progressing with its plans?  Can't see anything too recent on their website.

Awaiting CAA» (Civil Aviation Authority - about) approval...

Paul
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2010, 18:28:29 »

There's a good article on the Rail Professional website - dated June 2010 - which gives a summary of the present position.

Negotiations with Network Rail and the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) are in progress, apparently:

Negotiations have already started with both Network Rail and the Office of Rail Regulation. The group is expecting the approval process to take at least nine months, but it often takes much longer.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2010, 22:54:57 »

I hope this proposal does come about, although  are there any spare MK2 stock coaches about or maybe there will import some of the MK3' from ireland.

Like the Okehampton to Exeter service i do wish these organisations luck with starting these new rail services an hopefully people will be prepared to use them.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2010, 00:44:24 »

Is there any update on how the company is progressing with its plans?  Can't see anything too recent on their website.

Paul
Why would the Civil Aviation Authority be involved?  Huh Sorry I've not really been following closely, so genuinely wondering. Unless there is another CAA?
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2010, 10:20:03 »

Another alternative would be the Comprehensive Area Assessment (CAA» (Civil Aviation Authority - about)) introduced in April 2009, although given that was abolished by the new government in May 2010 I can't see how they'd be waiting on that.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2010, 11:02:50 »

Paul
Why would the Civil Aviation Authority be involved?  Huh Sorry I've not really been following closely, so genuinely wondering. Unless there is another CAA?

Porcine Aviation, Kite Flying, and Pies in the Sky (above 1000 ft) are all under their control...   Grin

Paul
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2010, 21:49:04 »

I have heard some rumours stating that class 50's could be hired in. Aparantly there is something about this in the latest issue of rail express.

If they did do the very unlikely and do hire some class 50's i think we could see trains carrying a  few railway enthusiasts as well as local passengers
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2010, 22:02:54 »

Oooh Vacman'd like that! Wink

However, I suspect this is nowt but rumour and a slightly far fetched one. Only 3 Hoovers passed for mainline running as far as I'm aware, all at the Severn Valley Railway. Going to need a lot more than just a mainline certificate for regular daily passenger use.

Still, stranger things have happened.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2010, 23:03:48 »

Oooh Vacman'd like that! Wink

However, I suspect this is nowt but rumour and a slightly far fetched one. Only 3 Hoovers passed for mainline running as far as I'm aware, all at the Severn Valley Railway. Going to need a lot more than just a mainline certificate for regular daily passenger use.

Still, stranger things have happened.

I thought it was only like at least 2 class 50's cleared for mainline work and i think Go were planning on using at least 3 train sets.

I think it is more likely that class 47's or class 57's will be used although it would be nice if they could get at least 1 class 50 in service as i suspect that will help get a lot of  enthusiasts using the service.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2011, 10:30:17 »

Just had a message with the following link:

http://www.go-now.coop/workspace/uploads/files/a4_newsletter-aw1.pdf

seems as though they are going to run a parry people mover on a line down in hampshire
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2011, 11:42:10 »

Wow.

Interesting experiment.

If the people mover can cope with the Mid Hants grades then it really puts it in the frame for short branches.

Marlow to Bourne End shuttle?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2011, 12:25:45 »

Wow.

Interesting experiment.

If the people mover can cope with the Mid Hants grades then it really puts it in the frame for short branches.

Marlow to Bourne End shuttle?

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggg NO! NO! and thrice NO!

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2011, 12:35:47 »

Wasn't there a plan to convert the Maidenhead - Bourne End/Marlow branch to light rail and perhaps open an extension to High Wycombe?

I believe it was supposed to be something like the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) rather than tram's

It may be a good idea if it offeres a better frequency on the branch, although there may be some who will not be happy to have to change trains at Maidenhead

I wish them luck with the proposal to operate a parry people mover, although i am surprised that it wasn't annouced earlier. I also heard that the proposed Yeovil - Westbury - Swindon - Oxford/Birmingham  service was being increased to every 2 hours at least between Westbury & Swindon/Oxford.

There was a brief mention of this in the press release i posted in an earlier post so i hope this does come off although i doubt they will be using class 50's (Which may dissapoint some railway enthusiasts)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2011, 13:06:19 »

Wasn't there a plan to convert the Maidenhead - Bourne End/Marlow branch to light rail and perhaps open an extension to High Wycombe?

I believe it was supposed to be something like the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) rather than tram's
It's more a dream than a plan to re-open the Bourne End - High Wycome line, operationally it makes no sense to FGW (First Great Western) to operate a different type of traction

It may be a good idea if it offeres a better frequency on the branch, although there may be some who will not be happy to have to change trains at Maidenhead
Without putting in passing loops the or running a shuttle all day between Bourne End and Marlow the Maidenhead - Marlow line is at capacity and anyway I doubt there is the passenger base to increase the frequency

I wish them luck with the proposal to operate a parry people mover, although i am surprised that it wasn't annouced earlier. I also heard that the proposed Yeovil - Westbury - Swindon - Oxford/Birmingham  service was being increased to every 2 hours at least between Westbury & Swindon/Oxford.
So do I

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2011, 15:32:44 »

Agree entirely with Electric Train that any light rail plans for Bourne End to  High Wycombe are not suitable. I put Marlow Borne End for the Parry People mover on a whim.

Bourne End to High Wycomber reinstatement only makes sense if it forms the missing heavy rail  South to North link from Slough/Maidenhead to Alyesbury and Milton Keynes this could depend on East West, but I can't see reinstatement from Aylesbury being put off much longer. Are there still rumblings about repairing the flyover at Bletchley?

Thus it forms with East West  and the Bicester link a heavy rail cross of lines linking most of  the major Berkshire towns with themselves the Thames Valley and West Midlands.

Just like the Chippenham Westbury line with a proper service could do for Wiltshire.

There were rumours that had the Wolverton Open Day occurred the shuttles were going to reverse on the flyover which suggests not much is needed to fully reinstate it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 09:24:52 by eightf48544 » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: