Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:47:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Swindon to Oxford - new proposal from the "Go!" Coop  (Read 88399 times)
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 22:17:42 »

If this does turn out to be true then i wish them luck, although i wonder where the stock will come from unless they order some DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit)'S
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 22:34:52 »

Yeah - what stock? Hopefully 100 mph, so paths aren't gulped down on fast stretches of mainline.
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 10:14:47 »

Personally I think this is a brilliant proposal.

It would link Yeovil Pen Mill with Yeovil Junction, thus providing quicker journey times between Weymouth/Dorchester and the South West ( connections pending of course ).

It would provide Melksham with a train service.  Enough said!  Grin

It would provide Swindon with a direct service to Oxford.

As well a North - South direct Wiltshire service.

Im all for it!!!   Tongue

Here, there and Everywhere!!
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 15:50:00 »

I think it is a good porposal but i think they  will have to wait a while if they plan on purchasing new rolling stock unless they are hiring in loco hauled trains. Another good idea if this proposal does go ahead is to perhaps extend the service from Oxfod through to Milton Keynes.

Personally i would think  that they would be better off running a service between Oxford & Bristol but that depends on paths being available
John R

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 17:21:24 »

Personally i would think  that they would be better off running a service between Oxford & Bristol but that depends on paths being available

That would be unlikely to pass the "not predominately abstractive" test of the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about), and it would be difficult to prove that new markets were being catered for. Whereas the route chosen, as Rick says, caters for new markets and flows, and as an added bonus would meet the demand of a certain town in Wiltshire.

Also, by running non stop Swindon to Oxford, it would not abstract any FGW (First Great Western) revenue on either Swindon to Didcot or Didcot to Oxford, with the exception of those actually travelling from Swindon and points west to Oxford.   
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 17:46:44 »

Good point and i do hope that this idea does come off  as i wouldnt mind using this service to travel to oxford especially if it means that i dont have to change trains at Didcot Parkway
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 17:50:58 »

http://www.go-now.coop/workspace/uploads/files/go!_launch_invitation_final_draft.pdf

Maybe I'm being picky, but I would have thought they could have got the geography right, unless there's a line off to South Wales at Thingley sidings that I've failed to notice. (And the line to Bristol from Westbury should actually diverge after Trowbridge).

Still, good luck to them. It will be interesting to see FGW (First Great Western)'s reaction.

I can't download the above, but maybe UR being picky, anyone can make mistakes.

Was it not FGW that produced information maps with a Redruth to Falmouth line?Huh
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 17:57:18 »

http://www.go-now.coop/workspace/uploads/files/go!_launch_invitation_final_draft.pdf

Maybe I'm being picky, but I would have thought they could have got the geography right, unless there's a line off to South Wales at Thingley sidings that I've failed to notice. (And the line to Bristol from Westbury should actually diverge after Trowbridge).

Still, good luck to them. It will be interesting to see FGW (First Great Western)'s reaction.

I can't download the above, but maybe UR being picky, anyone can make mistakes.

Was it not FGW that produced information maps with a Redruth to Falmouth line?Huh

If you copy the whole address then you will be able to see it, as it stands only part of it has a link to the document.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 19:08:06 »

Ah, some sense - no stop at Didcot.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 23:32:33 »

From the Oxford Mail:

Direct Oxford-Swindon rail link planned

Commuters could catch direct trains from Oxford to Swindon for the first time in eight years if the country^s first co-operative Rail firm secures official approval.
The Go! Co-operative wants to start a service which would see Oxford and Banbury linked with Swindon, Chippenham, Westbury and Yeovil, with the possibility of extensions to Weymouth and Birmingham.
An Oxford-Swindon-Bath-Bristol service, run by First Great Western and Thames Trains, was withdrawn in 2003.
The co-op will apply to run the service under the Office for Rail Regulation^s open access scheme, which allows firms to run routes not served by the main rail franchise operators.
Among existing open access operators is Wrexham & Shropshire, which links Banbury with London, Shropshire and Wales.
Go! hopes to have trains running from December next year, with four trains a day each way initially.
The co-operative needs to raise about ^500,000 to launch the service and is looking for small investors willing to put up ^100 for 100 shares. So far ^50,000 has been raised.
Chief executive Keith Vingoe said: ^This will be the first time a co-operative has managed to get into the rail industry. It^s a great opportunity for people who become members to have a say in the running of a train operating company.^

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, 00:24:54 »

Ah, some sense - no stop at Didcot.

Rather more to do with the prospect of using hired-in locos and coaches for these trains than the 'sense' of missing a town with a population of 30,000 plus and growing, served by the second busiest station in Oxfordshire.

As for revenue abstraction, they are proposing four trains a day each way versus FGW (First Great Western)'s two to four per hour between Oxford and Didcot and two to three per hour between Didcot and Swindon, with sub-10-minute connections for people doing Oxford-Swindon. There seems to be a consensus that a mistake was made when giving in to Virgin over W&S (Wrexham and Shropshire (Open Access Operator)) serving Wolverhampton, so were Go! to want to serve Didcot, I don't imagine there would be a problem in the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about)'s eyes.

But given the shortage of DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) generally, short of going out and buying some, they are going to be using hauled stock, so a trip along the curve at Didcot it will have to be unless they want the added expense of using DVTs(resolve), which seems unlikely at a start-up stage.
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 20:29:51 »

Rather more to do with the prospect of using hired-in locos and coaches for these trains than the 'sense' of missing a town with a population of 30,000 plus and growing, served by the second busiest station in Oxfordshire.

As for revenue abstraction, they are proposing four trains a day each way versus FGW (First Great Western)'s two to four per hour between Oxford and Didcot and two to three per hour between Didcot and Swindon, with sub-10-minute connections for people doing Oxford-Swindon. ...

Given the number of trains stopping there, there are some surprisingly bad connections between Swindon and Oxford trains at Didcot. Most Oxford trains depart at 25 and 55 minutes past the hour, so just missing the Swindon arrivals at typically 27 to 29 minutes past the hour. There is no Swindon connection at all meeting the 0825 to Oxford, so you can arrive either at 0830 or 0915, a lot of connections during the day are via Reading. 

inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 23:46:31 »

... a lot of connections during the day are via Reading. 

Which if you have an off-peak day return, or the cheaper flavour of off-peak return (route "Not Reading" from Swindon and Bristol), is a real pain in the sphincter!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 08:22:46 »

I understand that the launch event went well ... our forming TransWilts Community Rail Partnership had representatives from our core group at Yeovil, Trowbridge and Swindon and I've posted their reports - plus a fourth - for working group and closely associated folks on the members-only section at http://www.twcpr.org.uk
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 21:55:09 by chris from nailsea » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
dorsetbeachcomber

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2010, 11:25:04 »

I understand that the launch event went well ... our forming TransWilts Community Rail Partnership had representatives from our core group at Yeovil, Trowbridge and Swidnon and I've posted their reports - plus a fourth - for working group and closely associated folks on the members-only section at http://www.twcpr.org.uk/   .

Think you made a slight error in the weblink.  It should be http://atrebatia.info
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: