12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
12:57 Exmouth to Paignton
13:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
Delayed
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:59 Cardiff Central to Taunton
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 12:03 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 13:59:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[95] "Mayflower"
[74] You see all sorts on the bus.
[52] Where have I been?
[46] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[44] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Barnstaple " In Town Without My Car Day"  (Read 9582 times)
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2007, 14:12:14 »

This Friday, Barnstaple is holding an "In Town Without My Car Day", with several streets in the centre of Barnstaple being closed to traffic and replaced by a range of activities for everyone to enjoy throughout the day.

In partnership with this event, First Great Western are offering a return ticket from any station on the route to Barnstaple for just ^1.

Full details on the ND Rail Users website here </shameless_plug Cheesy >

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 14:21:26 »

Welcome to the forum , its good to have the ND Rail Users Group on board.

Any chance of a "shameless plug" by including our forum on the Links page of your excellent website?

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 14:57:00 »

Any chance of a "shameless plug" by including our forum on the Links page of your excellent website?

Done. And since you made me do it (that 'Edit this page' isn't just for show, y'know Roll Eyes), any chance you could increase the number of items in your RSS (Regional Spatial Strategy) feed?

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 15:11:32 »

If you mean can I include more items from your website , then no problem. Please feel free to post them (and any other comments) yourself , though.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 15:26:29 »

No, I mean the RSS (Regional Spatial Strategy) feed for this forum: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 16:12:34 »

No, I mean the RSS (Regional Spatial Strategy) feed for this forum: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml

I've just had a brief look and it's not a standard configuration setting as far as I know, nor can I see it in the administrator's area.    I'm forwarding a note of this thread's URL to one of my Xperts who knows the forum software forwards and backwards and if she has an easy way of upping the current number of articles being fed, I'm quite happy to do so.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 08:46:54 »

Further answer.   If you add

;limit=40

onto the end of the URL, you'll get 40 articles rather than the default 10.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 09:13:38 »

Perfect, ta!

http://ndrailusers.wikispaces.com/FGW+Coffeeshop

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 12:14:49 »

I do also have a couple of questions that I have been meaning to put to someone "on the ground" , so to speak.

1) You fought a successful campaign against the original Draft December 2006 Timetable , which would have seen services decimated to many smaller stations on the Barnstaple line (link below.)
http://ndrailusers.wikispaces.com/DraftTT

What is your view on DfT» (Department for Transport - about) (page 102 of the following link http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/strategyfinance/strategy/rpa/pdfswrpa) and FGW (First Great Western) (Page 6 of the following link http://www.accesssouthwest.org/answers.pdf) plans to look again at revised stopping patterns?

As I am sure you are aware , the original recommendation was to close all the stations apart from Crediton , Eggesford & Barnstaple (pages 212 & 213 of the link below.)
http://www.dft.gov.uk/foi/responses/2006/september06/swindonwestburytrainsservice/greaterwesternoutlinebusines1103

I note that some calls to smaller stations on the Barnstaple line are not guaranteed in the Greater Western Franchise Specification (Pages 98 - 99 of the link below.)
http://www.saveseverntunnel.co.uk/First%20Greater%20Western%20Service%20Level%20Commitment%202.pdf

2) What do you think about the forthcoming deployment of Class 142 "Pacer" units on lines in your area?

TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 13:22:28 »

This probably ought to be a separate thread... Undecided

Quote from: Lee Fletcher
1) You fought a successful campaign against the original Draft December 2006 Timetable , which would have seen services decimated to many smaller stations on the Barnstaple line

What is your view on DfT» (Department for Transport - about) plans to look again at revised stopping patterns?

As I am sure you are aware, the original recommendation was to close all the stations apart from Crediton, Eggesford & Barnstaple

I note that some calls to smaller stations on the Barnstaple line are not guaranteed in the Greater Western Franchise Specification

I don't think there's any immediate threat to the overall stopping pattern: there's no advantage in missing Umberleigh (because of the adjacent level crossing), and Yeoford is devoid of any other public transport (and may become a good deal busier if Dartmoor Railway start running between Yeoford and Okehampton). The extra stops at Copplestone haven't been a success, however, and it would make far more sense to have more trains at Morchard Road.

It's fair to say that the Jacobs Report has caused more than a little disquiet amongst the group. My personal opinion is that there is more than one station which serves no useful purpose and could probably be closed without causing significant hardship.

However, I certainly don't think it's the role of a User Group to propose station closures: if FGW (First Great Western), Network Rail or the DfT came along with a couple of closures in mind we'll look at the proposals and give a considered opinion. We couldn't agree to any closures without a guarantee of compensating improvements in the service, though.

2) What do you think about the forthcoming deployment of Class 142 "Pacer" units on lines in your area?
We don't want them, obviously. Up to now we've been protected by a local Network Rail instruction that Pacers could only operate to Barnstaple once a week, but we suspect that's now been overruled (although no-one has yet admitted to doing so). The ride on jointed track is terrible (and especially bad just south of Umberleigh LC (Level Crossing)).

On the flip side we have raised the possibility of running extra services on the line - perhaps even getting an hourly service out of it - as compensation of our soon-to-be disgruntled users, which has not been rejected out of hand.

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 11:10:13 »

The extra stops at Copplestone haven't been a success

Slightly surprised at that view.

Copplestone
2004 / 2005 - 356
2005 / 2006 - 1090

One of the things that does impress me about the Barnstaple line is that it has maintained the upward trend in Devon & Cornwall passenger numbers. Certain other lines (particularly St Ives) have shown concerning falls recently (link below.)
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=565.msg1882#msg1882

Quote from the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) Review of Community Rail Development Strategy (link below.)
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/strategyfinance/strategy/community/revcomrail?page=3

"The Tamar Valley has experienced growth at least partly because it has been made easier for passengers to buy tickets through the carnet system. They can now buy tickets off the network at post offices, garages and other outlets using pre-purchased carnets of tickets ^ a system that has now been extended to the Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) Line in Devon. These sales now make up 20% of tickets used on the line."

Has the Carnet system been a success on your line?

TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 14:08:03 »

Quote from: TerminalJunkie
The extra stops at Copplestone haven't been a success

Slightly surprised at that view.

Copplestone
2004 / 2005 - 356
2005 / 2006 - 1090

Don't forget that every train calls at Copplestone now - twice as many as Morchard Road - and this means only one passenger uses Copplestone for every three trains (and a fair proportion using Copplestone would rather use Morchard Road anyway). A 300% increase in a very small number still isn't very big - it needs to grow by as much again to get to Morchard Road's current figure:
Morchard Road
2004 / 2005 - 3442
2005 / 2006 - 2712

One of the things that does impress me about the Barnstaple line is that it has maintained the upward trend in Devon & Cornwall passenger numbers. Certain other lines (particularly St Ives) have shown concerning falls recently.

The fares cut helped! Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) Line Sample Fares

Quote from the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) Review of Community Rail Development Strategy:

"The Tamar Valley has experienced growth at least partly because it has been made easier for passengers to buy tickets through the carnet system. They can now buy tickets off the network at post offices, garages and other outlets using pre-purchased carnets of tickets ^ a system that has now been extended to the Tarka Line in Devon. These sales now make up 20% of tickets used on the line."

Has the Carnet system been a success on your line?

Seems to be so: again the price is a factor (particularly at Crediton: a Carnet Single to Exeter is ^1.25, compared to ^3 CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')). I think the bus is about ^4!) Tarka Line Carnet Fares

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 11:15:49 »

I recall that there was a proposal , put forward by your group , to turn Morchard Road into the same kind of station as Umberleigh (which has far more services calling there.)

For example , Umberleigh is "crossed" by the B3227 , which could make it an ideal railhead for those coming in from Great Torrington and South Molton. Similiarly , Morchard Road is close to the B3220 , which could allow it to act as a railhead for the Winkleigh , West / East Leigh , Coldridge and Down St Mary areas , as well as via local roads from the Morchard Bishop area. One would assume that it could also serve as a railhead for Copplestone , if service stops are transferred from there.

Has BRB(resolve) (Residuary) land sale policy put this proposal in jeopardy to any extent? (link below.)
http://www.brb.gov.uk/property/property_listings?keyword=Morchard+Road

gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 13:20:58 »

In partnership with this event, First Great Western are offering a return ticket from any station on the route to Barnstaple for just ^1.

Just a note on this regarding FGW (First Great Western)'s apathy towards 'local' services. I was the conductor on an early train to barnstaple on said day, and the first i knew about the ^1 return ticket, was when a passenger got on at umberleigh and asked for it. FGW had not given any on train staff any info that this was happening! I did check when i got back to exeter by asking other staff, and checking all notice boards, but nobody knew about it, and there was nothing posted anywhere.......Brilliant! Huh
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 13:28:07 »

Just a note on this regarding FGW (First Great Western)'s apathy towards 'local' services. I was the conductor on an early train to barnstaple on said day, and the first i knew about the ^1 return ticket, was when a passenger got on at umberleigh and asked for it. FGW had not given any on train staff any info that this was happening! I did check when i got back to exeter by asking other staff, and checking all notice boards, but nobody knew about it, and there was nothing posted anywhere.......Brilliant! Huh

I had a note about it in my pigeon hole but I dont work the barney branch very often which is probably why I had one!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: