Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:18:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to make a complete mess of train regulation...  (Read 14523 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 13:36:50 »

Having praised the efforts to lengthen the trains a few days ago, I experienced two of them on Sunday and sadly it wasn't pleasant.  Firstly I boarded yesterday's 13:42 Paddington to Moreton at Didcot returning from a weekend in Cardiff.  It was a 5-car Turbo but was so full I could hardly get on! It was running about 15 minutes late (as were a number of other trains) and in fairness the previous service may have been cancelled (see below).  Also, Chiltern held their 14:55 connection at Oxford for 15 minutes which was greatly appreciated I'm sure!  The queue to use the lift and staircase on platform 2 at Oxford took literally minutes to disperse!

Secondly, whilst I was at Oxford the 15:50 to Paddington rolled into the platform.  I believe it was booked to be a HST (High Speed Train) and start at Moreton (probably formed off the 12:42 Paddington to Moreton, which I suspect was cancelled), but it was clearly an empty 3-car set from the sidings.  Despite the fact that nobody from the Cotswold Line was on it, and the connecting Chiltern train from Birmingham was cancelled so there were no passengers off of that, it still left 5 minutes late due to the sheer numbers boarding with absolutely no room left on board at all!  A few people decided to sit and wait it out for the 16:05 or 16:15 trains.

Whilst both trains were not exactly running quite as planned, it does demonstrate how on-the-edge things are on a Sunday, and if something goes wrong it quickly descends into farce.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 19:36:26 »

Whilst both trains were not exactly running quite as planned, it does demonstrate how on-the-edge things are on a Sunday, and if something goes wrong it quickly descends into farce.
It does as we have seen on the Cardiff-Portsmouth line on a Sunday when services are less frequesnt and sometimes end up short formed whilst empty rolling stock sits in the sidings at Westbury and Salisbury.
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 14:38:27 »

The weekend was a nightmare with my XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services busy as they are anyway with Bournemouth and Southampton traffic, it definitely got cosy once Chiltern passengers and those travelling between Oxford and Worcester were added to the mix.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 05:13:27 »

There does seem to be a prevailing mindset* that even if there is a reduced service running, it will somehow magically absorb all the punters without causing discomfort or inconvenience to anyone, honest...! Case in point, last time I was back home (mid-May) I travelled in an HST (High Speed Train) from DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) to BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) (replacement bus from Swindon). Seemed like services out of London heading to south Wales and Bristol were down to about one an hour, so predictably the train service was full and standing.

Things only got worse from Swindon, where there were not enough buses provided... I was "fortunate" to get on one of these vehicles only to discover that is was some horrendous conveyance designed to torment even Munchkins by forcing them to sit with their knees rounds their necks. I'm 6' 1" so would consider myself on the taller end of average but nothing freakish. This bus however properly took the p*ss - it was as much as I could do to sit sideways, so small was the seat pitch. Of course, a rather shorted gentleman but with a somewhat more ample frame ended up occupying the aisle seat, leaving me with the most uncomfortable "rail" journey I can remember in some time. It was a white-painted anonymous bus, and I didn't get make a note of the "legal" lettering to the right of the door, so sadly I can't name and shame the operator of that wretched vehicle.

*possibly in the minds of those whose job it would be to spend more money by providing some sort of a back-up service of they were not able to convince themselves that a service reduced to half its normal frequency may be getting a little cosy.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 12:22:42 »

I'm sure you could have upgraded to 1st Class on the bus if you'd wanted more leg room, Blakey.  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 13:01:11 »

I fear the only extra legroom available to blakey would've been in the seat at the front right. Not sure blakey has a PCV licence.......

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 16:37:20 »

True enough. But on reflection I could have provided a splendid commentary on the scenic highlights of Swindon, and M4 and north Bristol from the tour guide's jump seat...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: