22:36 Worcester Shrub Hill to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
18:18 Carmarthen to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 21:41:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: New rail link is capital idea  (Read 50527 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2010, 19:46:04 »

Yes, that probably explains it then.  A shame that such squabbles could lead to a missed opportunity in my opinion.  I mean, it's a bit like Bristol Parkway being called Stoke Gifford Parkway - I bet patronage of the station would decline slightly if it was!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2010, 23:10:03 »

There's always the compromise option of "Water Eaton and Kidlington" or something along those lines. Maybe even Water Eaton and Kidlington Parkway? Water Eaton and North Oxford...? The possibilities are, if not exactly endless, certainly mainfold!
willc

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2010, 00:03:34 »

But the name is established already, so people in the surrounding area whose custom Chiltern is after know exactly where you're talking about, which I suspect is why Chiltern simply adopted it from the off. Putting Oxford in the name would probably end up confusing tourists and if you used Kidlington, would you have to remove it if Kidlington proper reopened?

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2010, 02:29:47 »

Putting Oxford in the name would probably end up confusing tourists and if you used Kidlington, would you have to remove it if Kidlington proper reopened?

Perhaps.  If you used Kidlington Parkway, then if Kidlington gets a station on the main line (and to be honest I can't see it due to the lack of a suitable service to stop there), then you just call that 'Kidlington'  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2010, 03:22:11 »

I don't really buy the tourism argument, they seem to be able to cope with the endless London termini, Bristol Temple Meads/Parkway etc etc, so why should Oxford be any different? Not that our railway system should be designed primarily around serving confused tourists in the first place.

Maybe in the best GW (Great Western) traditions, you could have "Water Eaton and Kidlington Road" (seeing as it's a little way from Kidlington, although not quite as far away as Builth Road is from Builth Wells...) and Kidlington General, if hell freezes over and the original halt gets reopened Wink
willc

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2010, 08:47:01 »

Not sure that's a 19th century habit (also favoured by the LSWR (London South Western Railway) in places) worth reviving, especially when Oxford Road runs past the entrance.

As I say, the park-and-ride site has an established name and there's never been a vigorous campaign by Kidlington residents to get it changed (and you could probably have a similar argument about the names of some other Oxford p+r sites too).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2010, 10:42:16 »

That you certainly could - Redbridge, Seacourt, Pear Tree and Thornhill don't exactly shout out where they are to anybody driving in to Oxford who's not a local for the day - I doubt many Oxford residents could put the correct name to all four of them.  My slightly tongue-in-cheek suggestion would be to take the opportunity to rename them logically, i.e. 'B':South Oxford Park & Ride, 'F': North Oxford Park & Ride, 'E': West Oxford Park & Ride and 'C': East Oxford Park & Ride, and then finally rename Water Eaton ('G' on the map) as South Kidlington Park & Ride containing the new Kidlington Parkway station! 

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2010, 11:08:19 »

One other thing to consider is road singage. What is the Park and Ride sign posted as?

I would suggest this is name used for the station which if built would I understand be adjacent to the Park and Ride.

Then all that would have to be done to the road signs would be to add a red double arrow transfer.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2010, 21:31:16 »

What are you saying? Do you want to put the entire Britsh sign-making industry out of business?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2010, 22:30:05 »

Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2010, 22:42:58 »

That you certainly could - Redbridge, Seacourt, Pear Tree and Thornhill don't exactly shout out where they are to anybody driving in to Oxford who's not a local for the day

An excellent point, and one that I had over-looked as a result of overfamiliarity (I was a resident of Oxford for 9 years).
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2010, 22:57:47 »

Water Eaton and Peartree are very close anyway.

And as the parking's free, I always wonder why people use others than Thornhill and Peartree!
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2010, 23:39:45 »

Erm, because the parking's free at all of the sites Huh The bus fares are identical too. Broadly speaking, there's a park and ride located on the ring road at each of the main "access points" ; Seacourt if arriving from Swindon and the west via the A420, Redbridge if you're approaching up the A34, Thornhill if you're arriving from London, etc. Travelling round the ring road at certain times of day can be an absolute nightmare, so having all those sites makes the whole scheme far more convenient and attractive to potential users.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2010, 22:08:19 »

Should anyone wish to read Chiltern's opening statement to the public inquiry into the Oxford-Bicester project it is online here http://www.obrag.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Opening-on-behalf-of-Chiltern-Railways.pdf
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  

Jump to: