17:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
Delayed
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 06:37:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cardiff To Bristol  (Read 4828 times)
basset44

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2010, 19:44:10 »

Hi All,

I think I done my research but could you please help with the following, thinking of taking my young Nephew tommorrow through the Tunnel on a HST (High Speed Train).

1 If i buy a anytime return to Bristol will I be able to go Cardiif to BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) then BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) and back to Cardiff?

2 Does the Loco Hauled train stil run and if so what time from BTM to Cardiff on Saturdays

Thanks

Basset
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 19:49:29 »

In response to your ticketing issue, an Anytime return is valid via Bristol Parkway.

Here, there and Everywhere!!
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 19:52:26 »

But I have a feeling that the loco-hauled service does not operate on weekends. I'm sure someone else here can confirm or correct that.
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 19:57:51 »

Hi All,

I think I done my research but could you please help with the following, thinking of taking my young Nephew tommorrow through the Tunnel on a HST (High Speed Train).

1 If i buy a anytime return to Bristol will I be able to go Cardiif to BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) then BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) and back to Cardiff?

2 Does the Loco Hauled train stil run and if so what time from BTM to Cardiff on Saturdays

Thanks

Basset

Personaly, along with Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool, Reading and other major cities, I believe there should be a "Bristol Stations" option on tickets, to allow you to travel to any Bristol station and back to another.

Here, there and Everywhere!!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 19:59:41 »

I'm not sure if you are intentionally buying an Anytime return, but wouldn't an Off Peak Day be cheaper?
basset44

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 20:19:31 »

Hi All,

Thanks no have looked on FGW (First Great Western) web site and entered Cardiff to Bristol one adult and one child and you are right a Off peak day return is great value at 8.00 with railcard so i am righ tin thinking i could catch the 11.25 to BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) and the 12.12 to BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)), have a bitof lunch before heading back BTM to Cardiff.

Basset

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 22:16:28 »

Yes, you can go CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) to BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) (it's not BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) - at least not according to the railway!) via BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains), for the same fare as a direct service. And as Devon_Metro says, it's a Saturday so an Off Peak Day Return is valid at all times.

When planning your journey, just use the 'travel via' option on the journey planners.

Although there isn't a 'Bristol Stations' ticket it is perfectly allowable to travel from Cardiff to Temple Meads via BPW.

Indeed for the same fare you could even travel on the Newport to Gloucester line via Severn Tunnel Junction and Gloucester/Cheltenham if you have a fear of long tunnels!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 22:35:52 »

Is that really a permitted route?! I could believe it when the tunnel is shut, but under normal circumstances...?!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 23:15:13 »

Indeed for the same fare you could even travel on the Newport to Gloucester line via Severn Tunnel Junction and Gloucester/Cheltenham if you have a fear of long tunnels!

Debateable.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 23:16:41 »

Just checked it with a journey planner and you're right, no longer available through to Gloucester. But use a Mixing Desk JP and put Chepstow in as a 'via' station and it gives you times to Chepstow and doubling back to Severn Tunnel Junction for the same fare as direct, something that shouldn't be allowed according to the Routeing Guide.

The Routeing Guide rules appear to allow CDF» (Cardiff - next trains)-BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) via GCR» (Gloucester - next trains)/CNM» (Cheltenham Spa - next trains) as the routeing points are one one map and a permitted route is one that can be traced from origin to destination without passing through any station twice.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 23:22:46 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 00:25:25 »

The loco hauled sets don't run on a saturday by the way, except for an ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) working from Bishops Lydeard to Canton on Saturday afternoon.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 08:22:02 »

Thanks no have looked on FGW (First Great Western) web site and entered Cardiff to Bristol one adult and one child and you are right a Off peak day return is great value at 8.00 with railcard so i am righ tin thinking i could catch the 11.25 to BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) and the 12.12 to BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)), have a bitof lunch before heading back BTM to Cardiff.
Yes, you can as a break of journey is permitted on that ticket.
Quote from: NFM (National Fares Manual) (National Fares Manual) 05
Ticket Name:      Off-Peak Day
 Code  -           CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day'))/1DR/1DT
 Class -              STANDARD
 Single/Return -        RETURN
Outward Validity:             
 Day  -         DATE ON TICKET
                  (SEE NOTE 1)
 Time -              SEE BELOW
Return Validity:             
 Day  -         DATE ON TICKET
 Time -              SEE BELOW
Break of Journey:             
 Out/Rtn -                 YES

Pre-Booking Req:          NONE
Reservations Compulsory:    NO
Discounts:                   
 Child    -                YES
 Railcard -                YES
 Group    -                YES
Refunds: See 'Refunds' section
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: