Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 17:55:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[313] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[78] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[34] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[32] Signage - not making it easy ...
[6] IETs at Melksham
[6] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Andrew Haines interview - reliabiity and cascading trains  (Read 7861 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 21, 2007, 18:07:44 »

Andrew Haines, interviewed at Bristol on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)'s lunchtime news.  He was talking about things not being fixed quickly - explaining amongst other things that Network Rail has a lot of catching up to do, and how he would be working to improive reliability.   He described how FGW (First Great Western) are increasing train capacity by replacing trains with 200andsummat seats with trains with 500andsummat, and how there's a shortage of trains available and they're scouring the country to get whatever they can to help further.

He wasn't asked (and didn't offer comment as far as I could tell) what will be happeneing to the 200andsummat seat trains when replaced by the 500andsummat seat ones. I had a dream that they could in turn replace the 150orso seat trains that are full to bursting point on Cardiff - Portsmouth, and then those 150orso seat trains could strengthen other services, provide appropriate extras and help Andrew deliver that improved reliabiity by having just 1% more slack in the system. I expect there's no substance in my dream - are the Adalentes off to some other pastures in the North of England, by any chance?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 18:40:19 »

I presume he refers to Adelante (200 seats or so) being replaced with HD HSTs (High Speed Train) (500 seats or so)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 20:19:31 »

I presume he refers to Adelante (200 seats or so) being replaced with HD HSTs (High Speed Train) (500 seats or so)
Yes I think that is what he was referring to. Good though that is, thats only solving London services overcrowding and not 'West services' overcrowding unless as Graham says the 180's could find their way onto Cardiff-Pompey. That would make Andrew a very popular person in these parts.

The scouring the country bit of his interview was for the 'West fleet' problem.

Well Andrew from what your predecessor was saying last week the scouring has been done for you by Dft and they have found you some lovely clapped out 142's that no one wants, and from 2010, some hand me down 150/1s from the Midlands so scour no further. Believe me Andrew any half decent rolling stock that is around is being fully put into service and you'd be very hard pressed to find any TOC (Train Operating Company) who would let go of it as they may not get anything to replace it.

However, I do know where you could find some pretty decent rolling stock for the problematic 'West' services. I'll give you a clue, they are right under your nose and have a funny foreign name beginning with 'A'.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 20:39:24 by Timmer » Logged
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 18:30:47 »

Yes I think that is what he was referring to. Good though that is, thats only solving London services overcrowding and not 'West services' overcrowding unless as Graham says the 180's could find their way onto Cardiff-Pompey. That would make Andrew a very popular person in these parts.

The scouring the country bit of his interview was for the 'West fleet' problem.

Well Andrew from what your predecessor was saying last week the scouring has been done for you by Dft and they have found you some lovely clapped out 142's that no one wants, and from 2010, some hand me down 150/1s from the Midlands so scour no further. Believe me Andrew any half decent rolling stock that is around is being fully put into service and you'd be very hard pressed to find any TOC (Train Operating Company) who would let go of it as they may not get anything to replace it.

However, I do know where you could find some pretty decent rolling stock for the problematic 'West' services. I'll give you a clue, they are right under your nose and have a funny foreign name beginning with 'A'.
I know FGW (First Great Western) are looking to acquire 150's from Central in 2010, if they do then pleeeeeease keep them as 3 car sets! would solve a lot of problems!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 18:53:23 »

They are also in 2+3 config so more seats
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 19:44:55 »

It would make sense to keep them in 3-car units because there is no connection between units if coupled together which could cause problems when people are unwilling to walk up the platform to an emptier part of the train.
As for the 2+3 seating there had been reports FGW (First Great Western) were converting the 150s they currently have back to this formation.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 20:00:28 »

It would make sense to keep them in 3-car units because there is no connection between units if coupled together which could cause problems when people are unwilling to walk up the platform to an emptier part of the train.
As for the 2+3 seating there had been reports FGW (First Great Western) were converting the 150s they currently have back to this formation.
was in the origional plans to convert our 150's to 3+2 but I think now they will remain as 2+2.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 21:28:16 »

Its now been mooted that FGW (First Great Western) probably cant have any of the 150s from West Midlands afterall as the Dft wants them all to go to Northern. What is it about this franchise that any spare stock going seems to be destined for Northern?
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 07:58:08 »

What are Northen doing to get all this stock? Huh They must be paying the Dft a hefty premium for the franchise. Hopefully this means will have to keep the adelantes though. Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 10:33:31 »

What are Northen doing to get all this stock? Huh They must be paying the Dft a hefty premium for the franchise. Hopefully this means will have to keep the adelantes though. Grin

My understanding is that the Northern franchise involves a payment by the government to the train operating company, and not a premium payment back by the Train operating Company to the Government.   Can anyone confirm this / give figures, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 12:00:06 »

He wasn't asked (and didn't offer comment as far as I could tell) what will be happeneing to the 200andsummat seat trains when replaced by the 500andsummat seat ones. I had a dream that they could in turn replace the 150orso seat trains that are full to bursting point on Cardiff - Portsmouth, and then those 150orso seat trains could strengthen other services, provide appropriate extras and help Andrew deliver that improved reliabiity by having just 1% more slack in the system. I expect there's no substance in my dream - are the Adalentes off to some other pastures in the North of England, by any chance?

Here is a link to the probable forthcoming rolling stock deployment , based on the unit number codes used by FGW (First Great Western) in the Draft December 2007 Timetable.
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=660.msg2347#msg2347

How about this instead?

Class 143/1 - Bristol - Avonmouth / Severn Beach services.
Class 143/2 - Bristol - Avonmouth / Severn Beach services.
Class 143/3 - Weston - Bristol Parkway services.
Class 143/4 - Southampton - Cheltenham group services.
Class 143/5 - Peak Westbury - Gloucester group services.
Class 143/6 - Bristol - Avonmouth / Severn Beach services.
Class 143/7 - Weston - Bristol Parkway services.

Class 150/1 - Southampton - Cheltenham group services.
Class 150/2 - Southampton - Cheltenham group services.
Class 150/3 - Peak Westbury - Gloucester group services.
Class 150/13 - Westbury - Gloucester group services.
Class 150/14 - Westbury - Gloucester group services.

Class 153/8 - Southampton - Cheltenham group services.
Class 153/9 - Westbury - Gloucester group services.

Class 158/1 - Westbury - Gloucester group services.
Class 158/2 - Westbury - Gloucester group services.
Class 158/4 - Westbury - Gloucester group services.
Class 158/5 - Westbury - Gloucester group services.
Class 158/6 - Westbury - Gloucester group services.
Class 158/7 - Westbury - Gloucester group services.
Class 158/9 - Westbury - Gloucester group services.
Class 158/10 - Westbury - Gloucester group services.
Class 158/11 - Westbury - Gloucester group services.
Class 158/12 - Westbury - Gloucester group services.
Class 158/13 - Westbury - Gloucester group services.
Class 158/14 - Westbury - Gloucester group services.
Class 158/15 - Taunton - Cardiff services.
Class 158/16 - Taunton - Cardiff services.
Class 158/17 - Taunton - Cardiff services.
Class 158/18 - Taunton - Cardiff services.
Class 158/19 - Marked as "not used."
Class 158/20 - Taunton - Cardiff services.

Class 158 (3 - coach) - Westbury - Gloucester group services.

Class 180/1 - Portsmouth - Cardiff services.
Class 180/2 - Portsmouth - Cardiff services.
Class 180/3 - Portsmouth - Cardiff services.
Class 180/4 - Portsmouth - Cardiff services.
Class 180/5 - Portsmouth - Cardiff services.
Class 180/6 - Portsmouth - Cardiff services.
Class 180/7 - Portsmouth - Cardiff services.
Class 180/8 - Portsmouth - Cardiff services.

This could provide the following benefits :

SERVICE IMPROVEMENTS

- 2 - hourly off - peak (rising to near - hourly peak) Westbury - Swindon services , with early morning , evening and optimally - timed peak trains restored.

- Half - hourly Bristol - Severn Beach services.

- Half - hourly Bedminster , Parson Street , Severn Tunnel Junction and Weston Milton services.

- Same number of Dilton Marsh services as now , but pattern revised to more closely match traffic flows , especially at the peaks.

- Through services between Dean and Mottisfont & Dunbridge - Warminster , Dilton Marsh and Westbury retained , along with easier northbound connections.

ROLIING STOCK PROVISION IMPROVEMENTS

- 5 - coach (including first class) Portsmouth - Cardiff services.

- 4 - coach Westbury - Gloucester group services.

- All Taunton - Cardiff services operated by Class 158 units.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 13:45:14 »

To me, this makes perfect sense. 5 car Adelante 180s would be perfectly suited to the Portsmouth-Cardiff route. This saves coupling of 158s or 150s that can be used as normal units in other places, and also ensure a comfortable, fast and spacious ride down this route.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 15:46:24 »

My understanding is that the Northern franchise involves a payment by the government to the train operating company, and not a premium payment back by the Train operating Company to the Government.   Can anyone confirm this / give figures, or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Northern get a massive subsidy to run their services and get all the half decent rolling stock and FGW (First Great Western) pay the DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about) for the privilege of running services and get all the crap that no body else wants, although I find it hard tobelieve that Northern will have all of the cascaded 150's from London Midland as there are loads of them, are those 4 153's still at Eastleigh? they were clapped out big time but if refurbished they'd be better than nothing!!!
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 20:08:01 »

Well this has been the new boys first Monday - Friday at the helm but the reliability of units this week must have been as worse as it has ever been since last December with the number of short formations particularly on the Wednesday, Thursday and today Friday. You cant blame reliability on the infrastructure.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 20:33:34 by martyjon » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 04:51:18 »

Well this has been the new boys first Monday - Friday at the helm but the reliability of units this week must have been as worse as it has ever been since last December with the number of short formations particularly on the Wednesday, Thursday and today Friday. You cant blame reliability on the infrastructure.

You cannot blame the infrastructure ... but neither can you blame the boss-of-one-week, unless it relates to his prior involvement with FGW (First Great Western).   Give the man a honeymoon period Wink

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: