Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:11 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:51:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Cable / copper / metal theft - ongoing problems on the railways and elsewhere  (Read 61381 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 16:42:27 »

Quoting a text - "nearly all the cables have gone"
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 18:23:51 »

Time to bite the bullet and use commercial telecomms for these service critical purposes, rather than relying on lineside cabling.

Unfortunately the 'commercial telecomms' companies are fairly regularly hit by the same problem; my employer has started treating cabling with Smart Water, but of course this is only of any use if the cables are recovered after the event or if the scrotes responsible are apprehended and are found to have traces of the marker on them.

I suspect the only real solution may be the use of as much optical fibre cable as possible (zero scrap value) but this would only be effective if the aforementioned scrotes can be convinced by the NR» (Network Rail - home page) / BTP (British Transport Police) publicity machine that they are wasting their time.

What chance the reinstatement of regular lineside patrols? None? (thought so-way too expensive)
bigdaz
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 18:59:06 »

Interesting.... have just watched BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)'s South Today report to today's events.

A high percentage of the footage seemed to focus on Reading platforms 4a/b which, as far as I understood, would not be affected by the lack of cabling at Tilehurst.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 19:57:44 »

I suspect the only real solution may be the use of as much optical fibre cable as possible (zero scrap value) but this would only be effective if the aforementioned scrotes can be convinced by the NR» (Network Rail - home page) / BTP (British Transport Police) publicity machine that they are wasting their time.

What chance the reinstatement of regular lineside patrols? None? (thought so-way too expensive)
I would suspect that these type of scrotes know exactly what they are doing and as for reinstatement of regular lineside patrols if the frequency of these thefts increases they may not have much choice as this week alone has cost Network Rail a fortune in payouts to rail companies on the Western region.

I have no idea how much resource BTP put towards catching cable theft scrotes but its becoming a ever increasing crime on our railway network.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 20:25:35 »

One would hope that the compensation payouts NR» (Network Rail - home page) have to make to TOCs (Train Operating Company) will filter down to affected passengers. FGW (First Great Western) do not, at the moment, have to make compensation payments for delays when the rail industry is not at fault.

You could argue though that NR is at fault - for not doing more to prevent cable thefts. That being said it's nigh on impossible to protect every yard of cable across the network.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 23:01:44 »

Well, having gone for the 08.00 Maidenhead to Paddington this morning, but already knowing it was cancelled (I know to check before I leave home these days) I got the 08.04.. Still a fast train.. and very overcrowded due to the disruption/cancellations,  but I've been on worse..I think it being a Friday in August helped a bit as people were away..

Our only problem was, when arriving at Paddington... the doors at our end of the carriage wouldn't open... It was a turbo.. It took quite a while for everyone to get off our carriage.. yet not one person walking past outside wondered why we were still all crowded into the door area and tried (it might not have worked) to open our door for us  Grin
willc

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2010, 10:41:04 »

Time to bite the bullet and use commercial telecomms for these service critical purposes, rather than relying on lineside cabling.

Not any more secure than the rail network I'm afraid.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/omboysleague/archive/2009_2010/2010/07/30/Oxford+news+%28om_oxfordnews%29/8302263.Hundreds_cut_off_after_cable_theft/

I have no idea how much resource BTP (British Transport Police) put towards catching cable theft scrotes but its becoming a ever increasing crime on our railway network.

BTP press release on this issue from just last week
http://www.btp.presscentre.com/Media-Releases/REWARDS-ON-OFFER-FOR-CABLE-THEFT-INFO-103b.aspx
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2010, 11:03:38 »

I have no idea how much resource BTP (British Transport Police) put towards catching cable theft scrotes but its becoming a ever increasing crime on our railway network.
I have quite a lot of dealings with BTP Crime Prevention Officers, we arrange a site meeting with the BTP CPO and the contractors we use advice is given on security measures local BTP patrol contact details in some locations the civil police are briefed.  There are a number of surveillance and monitoring systems deployed site security employed etc but this still does not prevent raids on sites where we are working.  Site security staff are often intimidated or paid off (who can blame them on ^5 or ^6 an hour) in one incident the security guard was blocked into his cabin by the thieves placing a load of concrete troughs against the door.  However all these measure only work for small work sites and they are expensive which at the end of the day reduces the amount of money we have for renewing equipment, these measures are almost impossible to deploy on an operational railway or on very large work sites.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2010, 12:13:36 »

From the Bristol Evening Post:

Copper thieves cause train delays

Rail passengers travelling between city stations and London faced lengthy delays when trains had to be re-routed after thieves took copper cable used to power signals.

The theft happened just after midnight yesterday from a section of railway near Reading.

Network Rail engineers spent the day working to replace the cable with a thicker length that is harder to cut and easier to trace if stolen.

Passengers were delayed by up to 20 minutes on First Great Western services between Temple Meads and Paddington throughout the day.

First spokeswoman Ellie Banks said trains were diverted on to relief lines.

Network Rail spokeswoman Mavis Choong said the cable theft had caused signals to go down. But she emphasised that no passengers were put in danger. Ms Choong said: "We have a fail-safe system but it's never an excuse to do something like this. Many thousands of passengers have been unnecessarily delayed thanks to an act of mindless vandalism. The people who did this have also put themselves in a lot of danger."

Network Rail and Crimestoppers are offering a reward of up to ^1,000 for information leading to the conviction of the thieves.

My highlighting. CfN.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2010, 12:36:33 »

I think you've got offer more than the copper was worth as reward....
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2010, 22:54:30 »

Agree - ^1000 is a laughable reward for this particular incident.

Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2010, 23:35:10 »

Why is it so difficult to catch the thieves? Detection and location of cable breaks ought to be near-instantaneous and automatic.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2010, 07:52:19 »

Why is it so difficult to catch the thieves? Detection and location of cable breaks ought to be near-instantaneous and automatic.
The panel box will lose track circuits, point detection, etc in that area even a wider area, the fault could be a power failure to the cables being stolen, what the box will not get is the problem is at mile post, even if the box does have a good indication of where the problem is by the time even the civil police have arrived the villeins have gone, blues n too's you can spot a long way off, also these villains will go through the cables very quickly with axes power tools tie the bundle to a vehicle and tow them out of the troughs in 5 minuets about no more than ^100 worth of scrap is nicked but ^10,000 or of damage is done.

The Courts are often to soft by not allowing the endangering the railway charge when the villains are caught

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2010, 13:59:10 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Rail metal theft crackdown after delays

Rail authorities say they will be stepping up their efforts to stop thefts after thousands of passengers were delayed on Friday.

A reduced service had to run for most of the day after copper wire was stolen from a signal point on the network near Tilehurst in Berkshire.

The delays affected services between Reading, Oxford, Swindon and London.

Network Rail condemned the "mindless" act and has vowed to fight the problem with British Transport Police.

A spokesman for BTP (British Transport Police) said: "It is a significant problems on the railways. We are doing as much as we can to address it."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 17:32:35 »

From The Guardian website:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/sep/28/railway-crackdown-copper-theft

First it was leaves on the line, then it was the wrong kind of snow. But now there is a new excuse for delays on the 17.38 to Orpington: the price of copper.

Soaring demand from China and India has pushed copper theft from railway infrastructure to record levels in Britain. The crimewave has hit 11,000 trains in a year and delayed a million passengers.

Network Rail, which first highlighted the problem in the north-east of England when the copper boom took off four years ago, has set up a taskforce to deal with incidents that have seen ^35m worth of copper stripped from railsides since 2006. If the epidemic is unchecked the annual takings of copper thieves will be ^20m a year by 2014, Network Rail estimates.

The taskforce, which also includes train operators and the British Transport police, is calling for tougher sentencing, a crackdown on rogue scrap merchants and legislation to give the police greater power over errant metal dealers who sell the stolen copper on.

"Metal thieves targeting the railway are causing misery to thousands of passengers and freight users and costing the industry, and the wider economy, tens of millions a year and rising," said Dyan Crowther, Network Rail's director of operational services.

Gangs are disabling swaths of the rail network by ripping out lines attached to track signals, which use copper to convey control centre messages and power. Once power is lost to rail signals, the lights revert to auxiliary power and immediately switch to red until repair teams arrive, causing instant disruption.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: