Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:10:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[64] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[59] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[58] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[52] Return of the BRUTE?
[36] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: SWT: Barrier Policy - or not !!  (Read 38379 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2010, 21:16:23 »

I overheard an RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) telling a guard that  ..... 

Obviously, some discretion is required in such cases, but .....

Indeed, some discression is required.

Some discression is required if you're habitually going to listen in on other people's private conversations and report them in a public forum such as this.    And on the other hand, some discression is required by the folks who keep pointing out just how much of a habit this "overhearing" has become.  This could get rather out of the friendly spirit of this forum.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2010, 22:15:23 »

Just to let you know, just because a member of staff tells another one something does not mean it is true. Mess room gossip is not contained to the mess room you know with staff sometimes passing on untrue rumours as well. Even if you hear something, do not always mention it unless there is evidence to back this up or clearly state you do not know if it is true as it can cause unnecesary panic. It can also lead to people being given the wrong impression by passing on information you overheard as you may not have heard the full story.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2010, 22:52:22 »

Having said that, many things apparently overheard would appear to be common knowledge within the railway community (ie calling passengers customers, the right to charge a standard single fare with no discounts allowed when someone boards a train having had an opportunity to purchase a ticket, etc), so I do wonder why on earth a driver would tell a guard (or vice versa) such non-information.  Huh
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2010, 02:01:52 »

Yeah that is strange John as the full fare issue comes under NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage).
Nemesis

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2010, 08:18:14 »

Do you lot imagine for one minute that this is anything more than a teeny little wind up? Lighten up chaps.   Roll Eyes

For the record, I do work for a railway company in Cornwall and I do get a lot of fun from  the indignant rejoinders of those who imagine that their civil liberties are being eroded, just because they have been caught out in some way, when asked to produce a valid ticket. 

I have been taken to task for apparently pointing out the obvious, when these threads are riddled with arcane and conflicting discussion on this and related subjects.  Possibly, there are those who take themselves a little too seriously?   Wink

Staff work extremely hard to maintain a fair and reasonable standard of revenue control and to discourage bilkers.  I personally encounter at least one minor attempt at fraud, never mind Rail Ticket based Railway Byelaw irregularities, every time I take a train out.  It is frustrating, but realistically, the only way to deal with it is to recognise that as human beings, we are all prone to look for an easy way out.

As such, on occasion, the innocent suffer along with the guilty, that is regrettable and IMO (in my opinion), should be minimised where at all possible.

For my part, I will not resort to 'overheard' conversations as a means of making my point, but will undertake to post as accurately and appositely as possible.  Have a lovely day, enjoy the wonderful spring weather and please do not perform the pocket slapping, ticket dance if caught without valid authority to travel. Grin

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.  ~John Lennon
John R

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2010, 12:36:49 »

I personally encounter at least one minor attempt at fraud, never mind Rail Ticket based Railway Byelaw irregularities, every time I take a train out. 

Only one? That surprises me.

A case opposite me yesterday when a young lady (who stood out as not fitting the normal profile of travellers in 1st between Swindon and Bristol) tried to avoid the TM(resolve)'s eye. He wasn't having any of it and asked for her ticket. She then got out several tickets in an act before saying, "don't worry, I've got some money, I'll pay for another one", without the concern that most people would have if they had lost their ticket.

The TM then asked whether she wanted to pay for a 1st class ticket, to which she said no to, so he kicked her out of her seat and sold her a ticket in the vestibule.

It was all so blatant, and the disappointing thing was that there appeared no attempt by the TM to make an issue out of it. Ironically, if she had been in standard (which was short formed and heaving) she probably wouldn't have been picked up.

Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2010, 12:39:01 »

(who stood out as not fitting the normal profile of travellers in 1st between Swindon and Bristol)

She wasn't wearing a First Great Western name badge, you mean?   Cheesy
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2010, 14:07:13 »

(who stood out as not fitting the normal profile of travellers in 1st between Swindon and Bristol)

She wasn't wearing a First Great Western name badge, you mean?   Cheesy

I guess I must normally stand out like a sore thumb then

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
John R

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2010, 14:59:36 »

Likewise, though I know what Phil means.
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2010, 17:51:56 »

As such, on occasion, the innocent suffer along with the guilty, that is regrettable and IMO (in my opinion), should be minimised where at all possible.

Hmm ! perhaps I am TOO honest - I always buy a ticket and can honestly say that I have NEVER tried for a "free" ride. That is why I took such exception to myself and my wife bring treated as "guilty" by an organisation that appears to expect the traveling public to obey their arbitrary rules when they themselves are totally flouting the rules that are imposed on them to cover this very scenario.

Staff work extremely hard to maintain a fair and reasonable standard of revenue control and to discourage bilkers. 

Hmm - again ! I suppose that depends on your definition of "staff". As I have commented several times before I find on-train ticket inspection generally to be lax and the use, or should that be non-use ?, of ticket gates to be almost laughable ! Who is responsible for this - Staff ? or, Management ?
If you had a human being checking tickets, at platform entry/exit, it might act as some sort of deterrent - to spend huge sums of (MY - as a taxpayer !) money on installing barriers and leaving them open and unmanned - at the same time saying that these barriers are vital to reduce fare dodging is real Alice-in-Wonderland thinking !

JohnR's story of the "lady" in First Class is apposite. My wife was returning from Waterloo on Saturday, she had (paid for !) a First Class ticket. As soon as the guard had gone through, First Class was invaded by a bunch of well oiled football supporters since Standard was "rammed" (to use their very loud words !). The guard was not seen again !!!!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2010, 19:59:28 »

JohnR's story of the "lady" in First Class is apposite. My wife was returning from Waterloo on Saturday, she had (paid for !) a First Class ticket. As soon as the guard had gone through, First Class was invaded by a bunch of well oiled football supporters since Standard was "rammed" (to use their very loud words !). The guard was not seen again !!!!
You should write to SWT (South West Trains) to complain. They need to know when things like this happen.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2010, 20:14:15 »

But, at the same time as you sound off, put yourself in the position of the SWT (South West Trains) guard... How would you fancy your chances tackling said bunch of drunk football supporters and trying to move them into overcrowded standard class accommodation single-handed? Of course in a perfect world that would be possible, but guards are humans too (as people often seem to forget). Would you have preferred the guard to (potentially) get assaulted?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2010, 20:56:23 »

In which case she should be entitled to some form of refund; which writing into SWT (South West Trains) about might achieve.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2010, 21:39:37 »

In 10 months of travelling daily on SWT (South West Trains) I have NEVER once seen a train manager or had a ticket check between reading and wokingham.  Since wokingham is unmanned and I get off the train at Reading station and get on another one......... the temptation is endless.  I don't.

But then FGW (First Great Western) are not much better between the two either.  There are three TM(resolve)'s I know who do checks - the rest, you never see on the way to wokingham but you do see them on the way back.

Incidentally when I bought my ticket at BRacknell yesterday, the machine was out so I had to queue.  For the first time in three years, someone actually wanted to see the picture part of my railcard.  I have a three ticket wallet so the way I normally work it is....

Top slot has rail card, middle has ticket, bottom has photocard from the days when I had a season (and the mug shot is much nicer).  The photocard for the rail card is always  behind the rail card with the used tickets but I've never had to dig it out before.   As I was still in work attire (for those who have met me, shock horrow I had a skirt and makeup on - fixed that sorry state as soon as on the HST (High Speed Train)!!) I suspect she thought I did not have a rail card since she asked me in a rather sarcastic/arsey way.  So I went into hastled mode (The queue was awful due to the faulty machine, the barrier man despite having a machine refused point blank to sell tickets and the 1707 to REading was imminent meaning I wouldnt have a chance to get back to the hotel to get my stuff before getting the 1750) pointing out there was a photo there that was me which suffices most people and could she hurry it up or get me a taxi if I miss my train (I know, I know but the machine was out, it was peak hour and they had ONE window open - I had gotten to the station at 16:50 - 17 minutes before my train) and had to fish it out.  Didnt even get a thank you or an apology for being arsey in the way she asked for it.

I HATE SWT - I only use bracknell coming back because client has a taxi contract with F&D and its much cheaper going to BRacknell than wokingham using their taxis.  I use wokingham in the morning and just get a rank cab.

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2010, 21:40:43 »

Many guards on SWT (South West Trains) services are Non-commercial, i.e they don't do tickets. Can often be found sat leaning out the middle cab windows of a 8 car 458 operating the doors!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: