Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:25:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: New London 'Routemaster' bus (merged topics)  (Read 16572 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2012, 22:39:40 »

Where do bendy buses go to retire?

I am not sure but I saw a number of what appeared to be ex-London vehicles parked in a yard next to Ryde St John's Road station on the Isle of Wight today.  They had been stripped of their destination blinds and I assume were in storage.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 22:46:55 »

I am not sure but I saw a number of what appeared to be ex-London vehicles parked in a yard next to Ryde St John's Road station on the Isle of Wight today.  They had been stripped of their destination blinds and I assume were in storage.

I've travelled on a red bendy-bus on the Isle of Wight, being using during the 2012 IOW Festival.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2012, 00:33:44 »

Bristol's Brislington A4 Park+Ride is one place where ex-London Bendies have ended up.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2012, 09:27:13 »

There are at least a dozen in a compound next to Cranfield University in Bedfordshire.  Never saw them move, so assume they are awaiting new operators.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2015, 20:49:58 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

New Routemaster's battery problems mean many run on just diesel

Drivers complain the hybrid system does not work "in 90% of buses" and they "don't feel in control"

Driven by diesel or "clean and green", the 21st Century Routemaster bus is making drivers see red. But while mayoral hopefuls hop on board to join the row, transport bosses say they're on the right road.

I'm told that at the back of a bus depot, there is a large pile of power batteries that no longer work. All have been removed from the new bus for London and are a crucial part of the hybrid system. Drivers say that many buses across London are operating without them in place.

That means in some cases what Transport for London (TfL» (Transport for London - about)) claims is "the most environmentally friendly bus of its type" is running only on diesel.

Leon Daniels from TfL had maintained that: "The New Routemaster is the cleanest and greenest bus of its class and we have seen absolutely no safety problems with its hybrid system." But today he admitted 80 of the new Routemasters are running on diesel generators and in all 200 will have failing batteries replaced under warranty.

I asked Mr Daniels if he was embarrassed about these performance issues. He said he was proud that London was at the forefront of developing new technologies.

In fact the batteries have been a problem for some time. In March, I reported that the batteries were going to be replaced under warranty.

A number of drivers have raised the issue with Christian Wolmar, a transport journalist who is also seeking the Labour nomination for mayor of London. They complain a lack of batteries means the diesel engine cannot cope. The bus is slower than usual and has poor acceleration.

A letter from one driver said: "In about 90% of buses the hybrid system does not work. It is instead running on the diesel engine all the time (not eco-friendly is it?)."

Others said: "The hybrid system does not work", that it is "very slow", "it just cuts out in the middle of the road" and drivers "don't feel in control of the bus".

Mr Wolmar said: "What they have told me is profoundly shocking. These buses do not work properly, the electric motor does not work. They stall quite a lot and there's a danger of them rolling back. Sometimes they go completely out of phase and all the red lights come on and the drivers find it very difficult to control them at times. The drivers say almost nine out of 10 do not have the electric motors working. This bus is a ridiculous throw back. It has been a total waste of money. It's a Boris failure."

The Unite union has also received complaints.

John Murphy, Unite's regional officer, said: "The batteries just aren't fit for purpose. It's not that the technology isn't there it's just the wrong technology. Personally I think this stems from the rush to get through this vanity project. They're not really a practical bus for London. The common practice now is to take the batteries out of the buses so effectively these very expensive environmentally friendly buses are just running on diesel."

These buses cost ^354,000 - a normal hybrid off the peg costs about ^300,000.

At the moment there are 500 operating on the roads. A further 300 will be on the road during 2016.

These have been bought by TfL, not the bus companies.

Some commuters love the look of them, others hate the stifling heat on the top deck that is yet to be resolved.

Mr Daniels said: "An improved battery design was introduced on new deliveries and any older ones which fail are repaired or replaced. This has all been done by the manufacturers within the warranty period, at no cost to TfL, or the fare or tax payer."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2015, 22:58:31 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Some commuters love the look of them, others hate the stifling heat on the top deck that is yet to be resolved.

I really don't like the front end of these buses. I find them very ugly. I think the sides and rear are more appealing. Internally I have no opinion as I have had no need to travel on one.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2015, 23:01:16 »

Thus far, two trips on the NBfL (New Bus for London).

Both downstairs, and both stiflingly hot.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2015, 20:14:20 »

Thus far, two trips on the NBfL (New Bus for London).

Both downstairs, and both stiflingly hot.
I have also travelled twice.  Once downstairs, once upstairs.  Couldn't say I noticed the temperature.  The only real advantage against normal buses is having Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) and contactless card readers at all the doors.  Other than this, they are just a bus.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2015, 11:26:10 »

The bus is going to get a trial in Reading.

http://www.reading-buses.co.uk/articles/summer-bus-trials-for-reading/

A taste of London in Reading

With special thanks to Transport for London and the manufacturer Wrightbus the stylish New Routemaster will be in service on the purple 17 route from August 17.  With its three doors for speed of entry we will have a dedicated crew for the bus, including a conductor to take fares when people board!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: