Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:32:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48]
  Print  
Author Topic: South Wales local services - Pembroke, Fishguard, Swanline, etc.  (Read 249852 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: July 15, 2015, 14:44:50 »

It's treated as a siding I think, so would have been a shunt move to get it there whilst not in passenger use.  As 'phile' says such a short manoeuvre, within station limits, might not appear in RTT» (Real Time Trains - website).

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #706 on: July 15, 2015, 22:50:43 »

What's the matter with shunting to and from that face.
Nothing, it is just that the potential for passenger use of that platform face when both platforms 1 & 2 are occupied is something I've wondered about a few times since catching a glimse of a unit pulling in there while a steam excursion was occupying one of the normal platforms (at the time I had assumed there were passengers on the unit). I take it from your answer that passenger use in either direction is not permitted.

I also wondered, having seen the Pacer there on Saturday, whether there was anything stopping a unit running ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) from there to a distant destination without having to go via platform 1 or 2 first, and thanks to your comment: "It could run ECS to Swansea from there as it could run as an empty movement." I now know that there's nothing to prevent that. So thanks for the answer.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #707 on: August 08, 2015, 18:45:55 »

Anyone know why BOTH FirstGW Pembroke Dock trains were canceled in both directions today? And whether bus replacements were provided (there doesn't appear to have been a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) replacement, meaning huge gaps in service at PMD).

I wondered whether they had pinched the sets to provide the rugby extra services between Port Talbot Parkway and Cardiff but (not knowing the exact time of kick-off) I believe the first eastbound from Pembroke Dock (passing Llanelli arround noon) might have been rather useful in getting fans to the match.

Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: August 08, 2015, 19:01:30 »

Anyone know why BOTH FirstGW Pembroke Dock trains were canceled in both directions today? And whether bus replacements were provided (there doesn't appear to have been a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) replacement, meaning huge gaps in service at PMD).

I wondered whether they had pinched the sets to provide the rugby extra services between Port Talbot Parkway and Cardiff but (not knowing the exact time of kick-off) I believe the first eastbound from Pembroke Dock (passing Llanelli arround noon) might have been rather useful in getting fans to the match.
Reason quoted on journeycheck was as a result of yesterday's major disruption at Paddington.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #709 on: August 08, 2015, 23:29:49 »

Reason quoted on journeycheck was as a result of yesterday's major disruption at Paddington.
I saw that, for the afternoon service, it said 'earlier signalling problems' but didn't think that made any sense and I couldn't find journey check information for the morning service (RealTime trains says 'unknown cause').

Assuming that the cause for both part-cancelations was indeed yesterday's problems, then I can think of a way that could cause cancelation of the morning service (perhaps not enough sets ended up at SWA» (Swansea - next trains) last night). However, I can't understand why the 08:45 was able to leave PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) right-time and yet be unable to continue to Pembroke Dock, unless certain sets are banned (like the fact that a certain type of bogie is required for 3rd rail routes).

Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: August 09, 2015, 00:01:11 »

I'm assuming if Swansea didn't have enough sets, then had the 08:45 continued to Pembroke, there wouldn't have been stock for the 12:28 to Paddington and this was probably quite popular with Swansea fans heading to Stamford Bridge for 17:30 and the Wales fans heading to Millennium for 14:30
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #711 on: August 13, 2015, 15:17:00 »

I'm assuming if Swansea didn't have enough sets, then had the 08:45 continued to Pembroke, there wouldn't have been stock for the 12:28 to Paddington and this was probably quite popular with Swansea fans heading to Stamford Bridge for 17:30 and the Wales fans heading to Millennium for 14:30
Thanks, sounds like it is possible that it was purely due to signalling problems, so hopefully next time match day conincides with a summer Saturday the IC125 services to/from Pembroke Dock will run.

Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #712 on: August 21, 2016, 10:04:15 »

Can anyone tell me what was going on yesterday? Several ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) services (including the 10:56 Carmarthen to Pembroke Dock) were cancelled west of Carmarthen due to 'operational issues' or something uninformative like that. Thus, the unit off the 09:56 Fishguard (150250 on this occasion) was sat in platform 2 for ages (was still there when I left at about 12:45).

Things got even stranger just before 12:30 though, the 11:41 Tenby to Swansea was due through and 158828 pulled into platform 1. I was a little supprised to see a 158 covering for a 150 diagram, but I've seen it before so thought nothing of it at first but then 150253 pulled into the platform as well! The only other train due was the Pembroke Coast Express (08:45 from Paddington, due into platform 1 at 12:42 once the Swansea-bound train had left). There were quite a few passengers waiting on the platform, so I thought one of the units might have been counjoured up from somewhere to strengthen the service, but the 150 then departed leaving the 158 in the platform and no free plaform for the express, which couldn't have been diverted into platform 2 because 150250 was of course still sat there. There were also quite a few passengers waiting to board the 158, I wonder if they thought it was the Pembroke Coast Express? The 158 finally departed at about 12:42, clearing the platform for the IC125 but probably delaying it slightly.

Real Time Trains doesn't show anything other than the Tenby-Swansea and PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-Pembroke Dock services having come through Carmarthen at that time, so what was the 158 doing there? The doors were openned and it looked like a trolley was waiting to board, and I think I overheard a member of staff asking passengers if they were going to Fishguard. Could the 158 have been the boat train to Fishguard, which isn't scheduled to call at Carmarthen, but if so why were so many waiting to get on it (since no Fishguard services are scheduled to leave Carmarthen until about 17:30!)? Real Time Trains doesn't show the boat train calling at Carmarthen, but does say that it was 17 late at Whitland but only 2 late at Llanelli.

phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #713 on: August 21, 2016, 18:11:09 »

Difficult to try and answer, but it appears that a couple of failures early in the day and the shortage of drivers just about threw everything all over the place resulting in diagrams becoming displaced.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: January 16, 2024, 20:14:30 »

A curious little fact I have just come across in the June 1941 issue of the Railway Magazine (p. 244) regarding the railway at Fishguard. Apparently the last mile of the railway to the port was jointly owned by the GWR (Great Western Railway) and the Great Southern Railway of Ireland through the Fishguard and Rosslare Railways and Harbour Company. I never knew that even tiny bit of the British mainland system had an Irish owner.

I wonder if or when this arrangement was untangled.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #715 on: January 16, 2024, 22:41:58 »

I wonder if or when this arrangement was untangled.

Has it even been totally?  Fishguard Harbour station is I think still operated by Stena and as I understand it is the only station on the national network where you can (legally) smoke on the platform.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48]
  Print  

Jump to: