I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:58:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • GWR 175 Event: September 25, 2010
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 'The Brunelian' FGW HST Railtour. 25th September 2010  (Read 24063 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2010, 18:21:34 »

Pathfinder Tours in conjunction with Modern Railways, Railways Illustrated and First Great Western are running a High Speed Train railtour on 25th September 2010 as part of the 'GWR (Great Western Railway) 175' celebrations.

The tour starts at Paddington, thence to Swindon via the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) and TransWilts for a visit to the STEAM museum (entrance included). From Swindon the HST (High Speed Train) then travels to Bristol Parkway, down the freight line to St Andrew's Road then the Severn Beach Line into Bristol Temple Meads. From Bristol Temple Meads it will visit the Portishead Line as far as the Network Rail boundary. Back to Bristol Temple Meads for the train to be serviced, thence on to Paddington via Box Tunnel.

FGW (First Great Western) are splitting 2 sets to provide a 2+7 with 2 TFBs (Trailer First Buffet (Mark 3 coach type)), 4 TFs, and a TGS.

Full details, including fares and timings can be found at either the Modern Railways or Pathfinder Tours websites.

Some rare workings there for a HST. Anyone know whether HSTs have ever visited the Severn Beach or Portishead Lines?

« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 18:33:19 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 18:44:39 »

Looks like a very good tour.  Shame I won't be around the area on that day as I'd love to see an HST (High Speed Train) on the Severn Beach Line (didn't even think the line would be suitable for a HST)!
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 18:46:55 »

is it me or have fgw been involved with quite a few railtours this year?
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 18:48:47 »

I notice that "train travels under Clifton suspension bridge" on the Portishead Line.  Probably a good one for enthusiasts and photographers.  Another one that I'd like to see.

May have to change my plans to be in Bristol on this date!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 18:55:57 »

I'll actually be in the area in September, so might be worth a trip to the Clifton suspension bridge for this one.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 18:58:58 »

Voyagers have certainly used the Severn Beach line during diversions before (I think whilst Filton Abbey Wood was being remodelled a few years ago). I think there's also a posted speed limit for HSTs (High Speed Train), or used to be, at Narroways Junction.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 19:08:05 »

There are 'split' speed boards along the line with different speeds for loco hauled and DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit). Guessing the HST (High Speed Train) will be limited to the hauled speed.

Seriously considering giving this one a go, happy to pay the ^65 and join at Swindon. Hoping that's possible.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 19:09:45 »

Seriously considering giving this one a go, happy to pay the ^65 and join at Swindon. Hoping that's possible.
The Torbay Express website appear to be selling tickets for this one, where they only offer Paddington and Reading as PU (stops to Pick Up only) points.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 19:12:43 »

Ah, Swindon won't be possible unless there's a scheduled stop on the return working. Gonna be an early doors trip up to RDG(resolve) methinks.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 21:06:34 »

They often do 'part fares' assuming there are seats of course.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 21:56:33 »

Rather short notice, but.....

From Modern Railways:

Opportunity to travel on the Portbury branch this Saturday

Travel on the Portbury freight branch railway!

There is an opportunity to travel on the branch railway line to Portbury docks on the afternoon of this Saturday, 25 September. The trip, organised by Modern Railways magazine and train operator First Great Western, will see the Portbury branch host one of FGW (First Great Western)^s InterCity 125 high speed trains, normally used on the Bristol to London run. The Portbury branch is normally used only by freight trains and there are seldom opportunities for passengers to travel over the line.

The ^Brunelian^ special train will depart from Bristol Temple Meads at 15.17, running down the branch line under the famous Clifton suspension bridge designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel, and will return to Temple Meads at 16.31. Passengers will not be able to alight at Portbury docks.

A return ticket for travel on the Portbury line is priced at ^10 adult, ^5 child. Tickets will be available for purchase on the train. For access to the station, intending passengers are asked to advise the staff on the ticket barrier at Temple Meads that they are joining the ^Brunelian^.

For more information, call Modern Railways on 01892 861803

And, also from Modern Railways:

Avonmouth opportunity added to Brunelian walk-up-and-go joining opportunity

There is now the option to take in freight-only track in the Avonmouth area on a cash payment basis on the day on the Brunelian railtour on Saturday 25 September. 14.15 off Bristol Parkway, via Avonmouth to Bristol Temple Meads, then to Portbury and back, detraining at Temple Meads (16.31). Tell barrier staff you are joining the Brunelian, they have been briefed. For Bristol Parkway joiners, the fare is GBP20 (junior GBP10), cash only, Standard Class only. For Bristol Temple Meads joiners (Portbury branch only, departs 15.17, the fare is GBP10 (GBP5 junior).

Darn it to heck, I wish I wasn't potless this weekend! Ho hum.

I've edited the second quote as the original article mistakenly say Saturday 25th October.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 22:19:54 »

Damn it, Im working.
Ill prob have to dispatch it as well if its formed incorrectly.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 22:23:49 »

In that case, bignosemac and I will hold you personally responsible for any delays to our service ...  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 23:04:37 »

Would have been interested, shame I'm busy. Plus ^20, somewhat outrageous!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 23:17:19 »

Join us at Bristol Parkway, at 14:00 - we'll negotiate a GroupSave!  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: