27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 01:31:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 180 Adelantes - discussions, including their return to FGW  (Read 208696 times)
brompton rail

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2010, 18:52:15 »

East Coast have today announced that their May 2011 "Eureka" regular interval timetable will no longer include a 2 hourly London to Lincoln service and that this will be replaced by 4 trains London to Newark only using existing rolling stock. They also state that they will not be taking the last 5 Class 180s.

Details here
http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/travel-information/Eureka/How-it-will-affect-you/

So what will happen to the 180s now?
First Trans Pennine Express?  FGW (First Great Western) have them back (maintenance on First Hull Trains still carried out at Old Oak Common) or who?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 15:07:11 by inspector_blakey » Logged
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 20:00:17 »

Here's a completely pie-in-the-sky idea, but wouldn't it be great...?

Use the five spares (plus the two currently reduced to bumbling between Manchester and Blackpool) to boost capacity on PMH-CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) services, then send a suitable number of displaced 158s (not all of them!) up north to counter the incessant bleating emanating from the north west about overcrowding. Anyone would think sometimes that Manchester is the only place in the country where trains are a little on the busy side at peak times. No doubt Northern will be quick off the mark ensuring that the smartly refurbed FGW (First Great Western) units are suitably neglected and allowed to get into a mouldering state so that they fit in with the rest of their fleet.
brompton rail

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 20:34:57 »

I didn't think there were more than 5 Class 180s spare. Northern's are sub leased from East Coast and I believe First have 1 set currently in use with Hull Trains as a spare set. East Coast were to had them back later this year in order to refurbish and train crews. Of course the rental would have been a cost to East Coast (and in effect DafT) so that cost is saved.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 23:45:48 »

I was just about to say - but blakey got the first......

I travel to liverpool a lot to see mom, I never ever ever ever ever use a northern train.  They are the only TOC (Train Operating Company) I know to have generally worse rolling stock than LM (London Midland - recent franchise) put on the Kiddie to Brum route and the Brum to London route.

I don't know what the non-manchester trains are like - but from what I've seen - I'd rather use misery rail.

I change at piccadilly cos I hate crewe and my order of choice is FTP (File Transfer Protocol), East Midland, and only if I have to Northern

So I can see why manchester commuters complain.  Although we all know why I complain about trains........

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
willc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 00:59:29 »

There are definitely only five 180s allocated to East Coast, three of which are currently on lease to Northern while I think Hull Trains has another of the EC allocation as a spare while its four sets go through overhauls. The other five are with Grand Central.

I can think of an FGW (First Great Western) route where they would come in very handy, where they would be able to operate from a depot well used to them and which maintains Hull Trains' sets - and they would provide about half of the extra DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) coaches that FGW was supposed to get for Thames Valley services. But as I've said before, any return to these parts should only be after a proper upgrade programme to deal with the things that used to keep going wrong in the past.

If used on the Cotswold Line, they could displace pretty much all the 166 diagrams - allowing the 166s to return to Reading-Gatwick work and freeing 165s to strengthen main line commuter services - and be able to mix it with HSTs (High Speed Train) on the fast lines. Send them to Bristol and you would need to retrain depot staff, they would cover only part of the 158 fleet's duties and would never run at anything near top speed.

And is the tide of abuse towards Northern and the north necessary? How would FGW or any other operator cope if it had been given a franchise on the basis there would be no passenger growth (ie no need for any extra stock), when in fact there has been 34 per cent growth on Northern in six years. The area's other key operator, TransPennine, is also desperate for new stock. Were you commuting around Leeds or Manchester, you might be pretty aggrieved too.

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 01:13:45 »

I am not a commuter around leeds or manchester

However as I've always said - if I can't get a table, I'd rather drive

Train travel for me is - get stuff done even on route to work.  If I can't get stuff done then I may as well have the freedom of driving.

This is not in FPC but............ I am so looking forward to the end of next week however I am DREADING having hobsons choice of SC or driving........ at least I should be able to bag a table at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) if I'm in A and on the train already

If I had to spend up to an hour a day reading papers or books just for the hell of it - forget it - drive or stay over

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 03:51:52 »

And is the tide of abuse towards Northern and the north necessary?

Sorry, wasn't intended as a torrent of abuse towards the north. Although I've always lived in the south (although come to think of it Oxford is some way north of Watford...), my parents are both originally northern (Lancashire/Yorkshire area) as are the vast majority of my extended family, so there's no axe to grind there. It just strikes me that there seems to be a certain bias towards Northern as regards stock allocation (i.e. whatever is spare, or even not spare viz the famous December 2006/7 [?] farce, we'll send it up to Northern). He who shouts loudest seems to get all the DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) sent his way. Even though ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) do seem to be suffering from a similar problem, as in a "no growth" basis to the franchise that has turned out to be anything but, they don't seem to be high priority for new stock. It just irks me somewhat that for some reason Northern and the Manchester/Leeds conurbation in particular seem to be permanently at the front of the queue and s*d the rest of the country, to the extent of the farcical situation where high-quality 125 mph intercity rolling stock is reduced to pootling stopping trains on a backwater like Manchester - Blackpool.

And as far as their maintenance of stock goes, admittedly my experience of Northern is fairly limited but with the exception of the Aire Valley line EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) all of their DMU stock that I have travelled on was in an advanced state of decrepitude, certainly worse than Wessex became towards the end of their franchise, and given the degree of rat-infestation they stooped to that's saying something.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 12:36:43 »

I believe that allocating small numbers of a relatively small fleet (14) to quite a few different operators is too inefficient. If two operators was the minimum, how about 'engineering' the transfer of the 5 to GC» (Great Central Railway - link to heritage line) and HT (Hull Trains) so that they culd run more or longer services?

Then using the odd spare coaches that are about (IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) even GC have some unused spares) make GC's 3 short HSTs (High Speed Train) up to 7, 8 or 9 coaches and offer them to FGW (First Great Western), EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) or even ECML (East Coast Main Line) Co.   

Can't really see 180s with FGW again though, unless enough top people have changed for them to have conveniently forgotten how they rushed to get rid of them originally...

On a separate point, weren't ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) & Northern both in an odd position regarding rolling stock - how could they be short of DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) but still able to loan 150s or 142s to FGW when push came to shove?  You'd have to assume therefore that they were leasing more stock than the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) would subsidise them to use?  I seem to recall a situation where ATW wanted to run such and such a service half hourly rather than hourly, and although they had the stock there was no funding...  So the loans to FGW may have avoided the embarrasment of stock sitting in sidings.

Away from DMUs, that's surely the position with EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) such as the Southeastern 508s.  Everyone wonders why they haven't gone to Merseyside. I reckon it's because Merseytravel themselves can't afford them even though the RUS (Route Utilisation Strategy) is full of ideas about strengthening services, and altering depots etc etc...

Last but not least, the Gatwick Express 460s will by all accounts be stored within a few months, as SWT (South West Trains)'s HLOS (High Level Output Specification) inrease is supposedly dead.

Paul
caliwag

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 13:13:54 »

I'm told there is an article on the 180s in the next issue of Rail, Wednesday week. The author doesn't speculate, so it should be an informed article...if you can wait that long!
willc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 22:52:17 »

I believe that allocating small numbers of a relatively small fleet (14) to quite a few different operators is too inefficient. If two operators was the minimum, how about 'engineering' the transfer of the 5 to GC» (Great Central Railway - link to heritage line) and HT (Hull Trains) so that they culd run more or longer services?

Then using the odd spare coaches that are about (IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) even GC have some unused spares) make GC's 3 short HSTs (High Speed Train) up to 7, 8 or 9 coaches and offer them to FGW (First Great Western), EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) or even ECML (East Coast Main Line) Co.   

Can't really see 180s with FGW again though, unless enough top people have changed for them to have conveniently forgotten how they rushed to get rid of them originally...

On a separate point, weren't ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) & Northern both in an odd position regarding rolling stock - how could they be short of DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) but still able to loan 150s or 142s to FGW when push came to shove?  You'd have to assume therefore that they were leasing more stock than the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) would subsidise them to use?  I seem to recall a situation where ATW wanted to run such and such a service half hourly rather than hourly, and although they had the stock there was no funding...  So the loans to FGW may have avoided the embarrasment of stock sitting in sidings.

Away from DMUs, that's surely the position with EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) such as the Southeastern 508s.  Everyone wonders why they haven't gone to Merseyside. I reckon it's because Merseytravel themselves can't afford them even though the RUS (Route Utilisation Strategy) is full of ideas about strengthening services, and altering depots etc etc...

Last but not least, the Gatwick Express 460s will by all accounts be stored within a few months, as SWT (South West Trains)'s HLOS (High Level Output Specification) inrease is supposedly dead.

Paul

If they returned to FGW what would be inefficient about nine of the fleet being maintained at the depot that has most experience of working on 180s and which got the contract to service them for Hull Trains for that very reason?

Hull Trains don't want more than four train sets because that's what they need to operate their service, and what would Grand Central do with more of them things? They seem very happy with their HSTs now that the early problems seem to have been cured, their West Riding service has only just started and I don't imagine for a moment that FGW wants any more HSTs, given that it has been pulling them off Oxford and Cotswold services to save money on operating costs and track access charges.

FGW doesn't need more intercity trains, it needs more stock suitable for medium-distance, semi-fast work and apart from the busiest peak services on the Cotswold Line, the 180s were the ideal train for the route - unlike the 166s. And EMT are in the same boat as FGW, preferring to use Meridians wherever possible on cost grounds.

At the time FGW acquired the 142s at the end of 2007, they were in store, but still on Northern's books and were available for use if required, which, with the growth in passengers continuing over the past three years, is certainly the case now - hence them using 180s for lack of anything else more suitable for commuter duties until they get the Devon sets back, along with LM (London Midland - recent franchise) 150s. The ATW 150s would in all probability be running around on strengthened/higher frequency services in South Wales by now, funded by the WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about), had ATW not been ordered by DafT to lend them to FGW.

And the last thing Merseyside needs is more 508s. They have more than enough of the things already. The only reason any of them ever ended up in Kent and North London was precisely because many sets were in store for years on end surplus to requirements in Liverpool, even after more were needed in active service when the route to Chester and Ellesmere Port was electrified.

As for the 460s, we'll see. I can just see the headlines in the Tory and Lib Dem voting areas served by SWT when modern electric trains are parked in sidings. Anyone remember those pictures of ex-Wessex 153s and 158s at Eastleigh in early 2007?
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 16:39:43 »

send 158's North! no way! put 180's on CDF» (Cardiff - next trains)-PMH, displaced 158's onto services in devon and Cornwall then give Northern their bloomin skippers back is a better idea! they've had enough of our 158's thankyou!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 20:18:19 »

could a 180 work cdf-portsmouth, what are there clearances around some of the tunnels that other classes have to divert round?

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
XPT

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 20:19:03 »

They should give some of them at least back to FGW (First Great Western).  I don't know why an earth they got rid of them all in the first place.  They are nice trains.  And far more comfortable seating than the awful refurbished claustrophobic high back seating they've got in those HST (High Speed Train)'s now.   A very good idea is to put one of them at least on the Cardiff-Portsmouth route which has been overcrowded for years now.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 20:38:50 by XPT » Logged
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 20:50:35 »

They should give some of them at least back to FGW (First Great Western).  I don't know why an earth they got rid of them all in the first place.  They are nice trains.  

I thought it was generally believed that First Group bought up a load of spare HSTs (High Speed Train) specifically so that they could give up the unreliable and non-standard 180s, and save their leasing costs? 

It does seem odd to me that so many people (both here and in other forums)  think the spare 180s will end up with FGW...  You can be pretty sure DfT» (Department for Transport - about) aren't going to cover the extra leasing costs.

Paul
brompton rail

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 21:44:31 »

Agree. Is it not significant that only Open Access Operators are using these trains. East Coast no longer want them, Northern only use then 'cause there is nothing else but would rather have stock that fits in with the rest of their fleet. Why would FGW (First Great Western) want these trains anyway, it is not Intercity stock they are short of, it is 'Regional Railways' type semi fast stock they need for the likes of Portsmouth and West Country regional services and there isn't any spare. Why do FGW run units on Cotswold services, well I think it is not due to a shortage of HSTs (High Speed Train) but because a unit is better matched to the business on offer.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34
  Print  

Jump to: