27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 04:47:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 34
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 180 Adelantes - discussions, including their return to FGW  (Read 208697 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2010, 12:15:56 »

If the stories in Modern Railways and Rail about the 172s can be considered reasonably accurate, it makes sense for the LO 172s to go back to Derby for their 'minor modifications' now, while they still have 150s. 

Seems as though the completely re-routed exhaust is no longer required - I guess there'll be further detail in the rail mags in due course.

(I've no idea if they have or have not gone to Derby though, IYSWIM)

Paul
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #136 on: September 26, 2010, 13:49:34 »

Also in October Modern Railways someone seems fairly convinced that some Adelantes are coming to FGW (First Great Western).

Which brings us back to the original topic.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 26, 2010, 18:00:20 »

I have put up links sometimes when i have them. As for where i have got the information from,  I either have been told by freinds who are working for some of the rail operators or  I have read the information on other rail forums.

OK, that's fine, thanks for doing that. All I'm asking is a few things: not expecting links to be posted justifying everything. Just the following:

1. If you've got the information from somewhere on the web then provide a link (you're pretty good at doing this)
2. If you read it in a magazine, tell us which one and what edition
3. If you read it on a forum somewhere, tell us which one (certain forums have a reputation for spectacularly inaccurate speculation and "gen"!)
4. If someone told you something and you're reporting hearsay, then tell us where you got it from - was it a member of staff (of course I'm not asking you to name anyone), a friend of a member of staff, a friend of a friend of a friend of a conductor's cat, etc etc. These stories tend to get more and more garbled the higher the number of removes from the "horse's mouth".

Bottom line is that the sort of post that starts "I heard that...", "I read that...", "I think that..." aren't very helpful to people unless you indicate where you saw/heard/read etc!

Edited to remove bizarre hanging sentence that I somehow didn't spot when I made the original post.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 14:49:55 by inspector_blakey » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #138 on: September 27, 2010, 10:14:50 »

And bear in mind that the Railway magazines read forums and newsgroups to get their stories too....so, read them with a pinch of salt too, unless they reveal their sources in their articles (which they're pretty crap at too!)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2010, 15:09:42 »

Could be more information in the next RAIL as there's an feature on Mark Hopwood - perhaps he gave them a few titbits to work on which will be fleshed out in the full article?  Magazines sometimes do that too.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
northwesterntrains

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 04, 2010, 16:13:11 »

One of the two off-lease East Coast 180s has reportedly been spotted at Edinburgh this afternoon (on railforums.co.uk), which seems to suggest that either Scotrail or TPE (Trans Pennine Express) have asked to have a look at them.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 04, 2010, 16:25:43 »

Or one of the First Hull Trains Adelantes heading up to Kilmarnock for refresh.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 05, 2010, 11:02:27 »

Could be more information in the next RAIL as there's an feature on Mark Hopwood - perhaps he gave them a few titbits to work on which will be fleshed out in the full article?  Magazines sometimes do that too.

Well, he didn't do that - no mention about 180's at all.  Talk of adding TS's to HST (High Speed Train) 2+7 rakes, and lengthening of more Turbo's to 6-car length though.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #143 on: October 05, 2010, 11:13:47 »

Wonder where the extra turbos are coming from....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 05, 2010, 11:21:34 »

It does beg that question, yes.  The only possibilities I can see are by 'something else' working the services on the Cotswold Line that currently remove three units per day that could be used to strengthen other peak services (two in the morning and one in the evening).  And there will be an extra one or two sets available after the Turbo refresh is completed in 2012.  Also, the 2-car set which works the Bicester Town service will be released when the line is closed and Chiltern take over.  That's not enough to make much of a difference though!

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #145 on: October 05, 2010, 11:31:20 »

THe one or two away being refreshed are due back on current services that have been de-strengthened currently, so those don't count.

Someone else could, I guess, operate services along the cotswold Line, but where do *they* get the stock requitred from if they don't inherit those trains currently running the services?

Yes, the Bicester Town turbo(s) will be released in May 2011 when Chiltern take over that branch (if they don't inherit that turbo of course - which they might do until EG3 is complete)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 05, 2010, 12:01:46 »

Someone else could, I guess, operate services along the cotswold Line, but where do *they* get the stock requitred from if they don't inherit those trains currently running the services?

Yes, the Bicester Town turbo(s) will be released in May 2011 when Chiltern take over that branch (if they don't inherit that turbo of course - which they might do until EG3 is complete)

Something else, not someone else - i.e. a FGW (First Great Western) HST (High Speed Train) or 180.  Chiltern will almost certainly 'hire' the FGW Turbo (and our drivers) from May 2011 from what I've heard, but it won't be long after that before the line shuts for its rebuild.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #147 on: October 05, 2010, 12:09:39 »

Well, the turbos on the Cotswold Line are only used off-peak, which is not really when the other turbo services need strengthening....so it's unlikely that they'll come from there.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 05, 2010, 23:53:03 »

Well, the turbos on the Cotswold Line are only used off-peak

Not sure how you could describe the 05.48 and 06.48 from London to Great Malvern as off-peak trains. Were something else to operate either or both of those services, then the Turbos would of course be available to strengthen morning peak services in the Thames Valley - and in the case of the 05.48's forerunners, something else did operate the service from the autumn of 2004 until February last year, in the shape of a 180 most of that period, then an HST (High Speed Train).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 06, 2010, 00:06:38 »

Well, the turbos on the Cotswold Line are only used off-peak

Not sure how you could describe the 05.48 and 06.48 from London to Great Malvern as off-peak trains.

Well, Off-Peak fares (SVR) are available on them!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 34
  Print  

Jump to: