Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:55 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
15:52 Basingstoke to Reading
Delayed
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 16:04:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 180 Adelantes - discussions, including their return to FGW  (Read 208703 times)
willc

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 06, 2010, 08:40:33 »

Well, the turbos on the Cotswold Line are only used off-peak

Not sure how you could describe the 05.48 and 06.48 from London to Great Malvern as off-peak trains.

Well, Off-Peak fares (SVR) are available on them!

Er, ho, ho. Only if you're travelling past Oxford. Nor for 'internal' Cotswold Line journeys. My point was pretty obviously related to rolling stock availability.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 08:52:20 by willc » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #151 on: October 06, 2010, 08:56:44 »

THose trains would be considered 'contra-peak'....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 06, 2010, 10:18:47 »

Well, the turbos on the Cotswold Line are only used off-peak, which is not really when the other turbo services need strengthening....so it's unlikely that they'll come from there.

As Will says, they certainly aren't used off-peak!  The three units are effectively out of action between the following times as they pop off to Great Malvern:

05:48 until 11:29
06:48 until 12:29
13:20 until 20:00

All three could thus prove very useful to strengthen peak hour services around Paddington.  Two of then were operated by a HST (High Speed Train)/180 until last year (the loss of that HST for the first of them was especially criticised by users at the time), there's no reason in principal why the other couldn't be too.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #153 on: October 06, 2010, 10:24:03 »

The reason that these were replaced by turbos is that the loadinghs didn't warrant an expensive HST (High Speed Train)/180....nothing has changed, so unless the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) makes recompense anything more expernsive won't be utilised.....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 06, 2010, 10:39:06 »

Yes, that's true.  I was originally suggesting where additional Turbo's could be sourced from to strengthen peak services, and then replying to your strange statement that Turbos weren't used during the peak on the Cotswold Line.  However, it's worth making the point that all three of those Turbo's do load to standing most days at some point during their journeys (the first of which usually has standing passengers from Slough as a 6-car!)  Sadly though, for the majority of the trip a HST (High Speed Train) is well over the top.

What might have changed is the leasing costs of a Class 180.  If nobody else wants them, and FGW (First Great Western) can secure them on a cheaper deal than before, then perhaps, just perhaps, they could be used on two of those three services to good effect?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #155 on: October 06, 2010, 10:53:02 »

yes, that may be possible....
northwesterntrains

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 06, 2010, 15:40:54 »

Or one of the First Hull Trains Adelantes heading up to Kilmarnock for refresh.

If I waited for some more replies I would have seen that it was indeed 180109 (a Hull Trains unit) that has gone up to Scotland.  However, it's been revealed that Hull Trains have taken out a short term lease on 180102 to cover diagrams during refurbishment.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 06, 2010, 22:16:44 »

The reason that these were replaced by turbos is that the loadinghs didn't warrant an expensive HST (High Speed Train)/180....nothing has changed, so unless the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) makes recompense anything more expernsive won't be utilised.....

Excuse me? The loadings didn't warrant a 180? In the case of the 05.XX ex-Pad/08.XX back from Worcester/Malvern for nigh on five years, oh yes they did. Which was why it was the first Cotswold working to be regularly operated by a 180 - and even with a 180 it often ran south of Oxford with people standing. An HST was too big, but only as far as Oxford. As Insider notes, another three-car Turbo is added to the set that has come from Malvern, to create a train with a remarkably similar seating capacity to, er, an HST.

And I'm sure with a bit of thought, one could come up with a mile-long list of HST workings, on the Cotswold Line and elsewhere, where the set is heavily loaded one way and very sparsely populated in the other direction.

The reason the HST was replaced was to cut running costs, pure and simple, irrespective of passenger comfort (resulting in the February half-term last year, just after the switch, in one of my worst-ever Cotswold Line journeys, and that's saying something) though we now have that six-car formation south of Oxford, plus, for the past 10 months, the 09.29 from Moreton operating, so I should think a large chunk of that supposed saving has vanished.

The next train out and back has never been worked by a 180/HST, even though there are times of the year, especially over the summer, when it leaves Hanborough with pretty much every seat taken - and it's not a train where lots of people do get off at Oxford, so can be very busy beyond there.
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 06, 2010, 22:46:22 »

The reason the HST (High Speed Train) was replaced was to cut running costs, pure and simple, irrespective of passenger comfort (resulting in the February half-term last year, just after the switch, in one of my worst-ever Cotswold Line journeys, and that's saying something) though we now have that six-car formation south of Oxford, plus, for the past 10 months, the 09.29 from Moreton operating, so I should think a large chunk of that supposed saving has vanished.

I think at the time the main reason for the change was the very tight turn around at Foregate Street.  Even when running on time there was hardly enough time for the driver to change ends and depart on time.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 07, 2010, 08:48:46 »

Well that's a new one on me - and since I used the 08.XX from Malvern most of the week, I think I would have noticed crippling timekeeping problems when using an HST (High Speed Train) - and if your timetable doesn't work properly, logic suggests you change it. It may have been turned back short at Worcester on occasion, but that would have been down to delays accumulated on the single line battling the flow of London-bound trains, not some inherent problem with that service's timings.

The official line from FGW (First Great Western) last year was the one about loadings that ChrisB has repeated - though as I say south of Oxford that made no sense anyway in the case of the 08.XX, hence the second Turbo being added, and we now have an extra train running part of the route as well.

Think I'll stick with what I was told by the CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about) following their discussions with FGW - that managers were "hell bent" on cutting costs.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #160 on: October 07, 2010, 09:14:02 »

Think I'll stick with what I was told by the CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about) following their discussions with FGW (First Great Western) - that managers were "hell bent" on cutting costs.

Indeed.....

Excuse me? The loadings didn't warrant a 180?

a three-car turbo holds as many as a 180. My bad - I should have left it as an HST only.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 07, 2010, 11:28:44 »

It was a very tight turnaround at Great Malvern, but if the train arrived on time it would usually depart on time - just.  The removal of the Malvern Link stop in the down direction gave an additional couple of minutes to work with at Malvern Wells - this stop has now been re-introduced as being a Turbo it's a much quicker turnaround. 

The timings on the return journey were also quite tight for a HST (High Speed Train) with plenty of passengers joining at all the stops - I think it was timed to do Shrub Hill to Oxford faster than any other HST service during the whole day, quicker than the Cathedrals Express which misses out Hanborough, so a bike at the wrong end of a platform, or a door left open often knocked it by a couple of minutes. 

So, I'd go along with the 'cost' argument principally, but there was a performance benefit too.

willc

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 07, 2010, 20:55:15 »

But was it really a timing issue, or timing issues related to certain well-known infrastructure issues? Eg, the hefty timing allowance at Evesham to try to make sure it stays out of the way of the Cathedrals Express. And going to Malvern is a recent alteration (past two/three years?), as it turned back at Worcester for many years.

a three-car turbo holds as many as a 180

On paper, yes, but as we all know, the middle seat of the sets of three on Turbos is only occupied when things get seriously crowded, whereas on a 180 you actually get backsides on all the seats - and people are able to sit comfortably, which certainly ain't the case on a Turbo, unless you find 250 people without any arms!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #163 on: October 08, 2010, 09:25:32 »

Indeed, but you'll find cost per seat is the driver. 5 coaches copst far more to run around than three.
woody

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 08, 2010, 09:58:07 »

To be absolutely blunt about matters and its sad to have say this but if British Rail (worts and all) had not precured the rolling stock it did for the then Western Region in the 10/15 years prior to rail privatisation where would FGW (First Great Western) be now.Firsts brief foray into the rolling stock market produced the class 180 a train too expensive to lease with too little capacity.Any talk of a return to FGW of the class 180s will need financial assistance from the tax payer.Basically all First can do out of its own resources is to refurbish and keep going the rolling stock it has,any new build will need government support,the same as it ever was.Privatisation was suppose to free the railways instead it has become even more ensnared to the treasury as we will all find out on October 20th when the government announces the outcome of its Comprehensive Spending Review.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34
  Print  

Jump to: