09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 10:20:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[52] IETs at Melksham
[47] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[43] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[41] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[30] Signage - not making it easy ...
[17] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 180 Adelantes - discussions, including their return to FGW  (Read 208581 times)
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: March 30, 2012, 10:32:37 »

I saw it at Didcot yesterday, surrounded by a goodly number of amateur photographers, so I'd imagine there'll be plenty of photos online by now. It looked very smart.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #436 on: March 30, 2012, 12:35:51 »

Some here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/willc2009/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #437 on: March 30, 2012, 23:45:29 »

As ever, thanks to willc for those pictures.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #438 on: April 01, 2012, 17:16:21 »

Some photos online of one of the class 180 on test at Moreton In Marsh
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 10, 2012, 16:08:04 »

Refurbishment work on the 180s and the conversion of the buffet cars to TS vehicles were both covered in an article in a recent edition of RAIL (forget the number, sorry). It was mentioned in the article, almost as a footnote, that FGW (First Great Western) was removing guard's door control panels installed whilst the units were at Northern and re-siting them in the driver's cabs.

Quite aside from the issues that this may well cause with the unions, this seems like a bit of a strange move. I'm assuming there is some sound reasoning behind it somewhere: my best guess would be to ensure FGW has a standard fleet because not all of the units they will be taking on have this modification. Is that the real reason?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 10, 2012, 16:42:41 »

Presumably that's the real reason, though the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) aren't happy and consider it the first step to undermining the TM(resolve)'s duties and therefore being able to be done away with to help achieve the aims of the McNulty review.  They say fitting the non Northern units with the same control panels and giving TM's full control of the doors would be the best option.

Interestingly, with the 180s scheduled to operate only over the Cotswold Line, the actual method of despatch would be virtually identical to the Turbos that have plied the route for nearly 20 years (the exception being the permission part that is mentioned below).  The driver releases the doors, the TM tells the driver to shut the doors and then gives the driver the RA and the train departs.  The old method of Class 180 despatch involved the driver getting permission to open the doors once the train was platformed - which sometimes led to a long delay sat at a platform before the doors opened.  Not good for punctuality and not good for the anxiety levels of passengers waiting to board or alight!  Perhaps that's more to do with the real reasons?

One thing is for sure, the old method for 180s, a mixture of Turbo DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) and HSTs (High Speed Train) method of work was a bit of a hotch-potch arrangement and didn't work very well.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 10, 2012, 17:37:44 »

What about for DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) if a 180 is put on the halts? Can the driver just release one door?

What's the point in this driver/guard door thing. Either let the guard do it, or just the driver (with cameras/mirrors, etc)! A dual system causes delays, as bewildered commuters jab at the buttons, frustrated that the door doesn't open.

I wish they could get rid of those loud BEEPS that deafen shocked bystanders and sort out those SQUEAKY brakes that cause even the most seasoned commuter wince with pain.

Also, knock a door through the guards van into the carriage so bikes can be loaded/unloaded quicker without passengers getting off and running to the nearest door as agitated platform staff blow their whistle.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 10, 2012, 17:47:21 »

What about for DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) if a 180 is put on the halts? Can the driver just release one door?

What's the point in this driver/guard door thing. Either let the guard do it, or just the driver (with cameras/mirrors, etc)! A dual system causes delays, as bewildered commuters jab at the buttons, frustrated that the door doesn't open.

I wish they could get rid of those loud BEEPS that deafen shocked bystanders and sort out those SQUEAKY brakes that cause even the most seasoned commuter wince with pain.

The 180s have SDO (Selective Door Opening), so yes, one door can be released if selected by the driver.  I think my post explained why the dual system was settled on - unions not wanting to see the role of guards diminish.  Though, I agree, one method or the other should really be decided upon from an operational point of view.

Also, knock a door through the guards van into the carriage so bikes can be loaded/unloaded quicker without passengers getting off and running to the nearest door as agitated platform staff blow their whistle.

The problem there is that there is no guards van as such and the bike compartment is located in the crumple zone of the train where passengers are not allowed to be when the train is moving.  If there was a public access door there then there would be nothing to ensure that the crumple zone is only occupied by the poor staff!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #443 on: April 11, 2012, 18:14:54 »

Pendolinos have through-access from passenger accommodation to the bike compartment in the "crumple zone", so it's possible. However, the external door to the bike compartment can only be unlocked by staff, and this can (and does) lead to delays.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: April 11, 2012, 18:50:45 »

That's the same set-up as an Adelante then I think, Richard.  There is a through door to the crumple/bike zone (only opened by staff) on our units as well.  Makes more sense, in terms of reducing delays, to tell the punters collecting bikes to leave the vehicle by one of the external doors and wait at the end of the train there bike is stored at as the TM(resolve) could be anywhere on the unit.

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 11, 2012, 18:58:33 »

The other problem is that there is a bike store at each end - how are cyclists meant to know which one to use?

I have seen passengers board the Pendolino bike store at Sandwell & Dudley and told to stay in there until New Street where they would be let out to re-join the passenger saloon. This was done because the train was running late because said cyclists had tried boarding, bikes and all, further up the train. The guard was fuming and didn't want to waste more time letting them run back down the platform after loading the bikes.

You haven't said why this system was used? If the unions didn't want to see the guard diminish - why have the driver doing stuff at all?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 11, 2012, 19:28:10 »

The other problem is that there is a bike store at each end - how are cyclists meant to know which one to use?

Operationally it used to be the one at the rear of the train, where the guard was.  Unless that one was full, or the passenger was joining or alighting at somewhere with a short platform in which case it was the front end, often with the drivers assistance.  It usually worked quite well, but sometimes left a little to be desired!

You haven't said why this system was used? If the unions didn't want to see the guard diminish - why have the driver doing stuff at all?

That's a good question, and one I don't know the answer to.  Anybody?

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #447 on: April 11, 2012, 20:35:23 »

I have seen a driver of an HST (High Speed Train), stopping at Nailsea & Backwell, climb down from his cab and nip back to the cycle store to assist the train manager at the rear of the train with despatch by ensuring that the door is closed properly.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
d5351

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 11, 2012, 21:09:05 »

That's a good question, and one I don't know the answer to.  Anybody?
The controls for how many doors are released under SDO (Selective Door Opening) are in the cab, so the driver needs to be in control of release. The Northern mod bypassed SDO hence the removal as some Cotswold line stations need it.

The compromise on build was to do a mod where the driver releases the doors but there are panels in the train to allow the guard to do door close. When they come back they'll be as they were when they left so unions can't complain!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 11, 2012, 21:32:15 »

Well, the unions are complaining (of course!).  Understood, and thanks for that information, but it still doesn't really the answer the question as to why, when they were originally built (and not initially intended for services on the Cotswold Line), the SDO (Selective Door Opening) controls weren't included in the TM(resolve)'s door panel, as per the HSTs (High Speed Train)

The only possible answers I can think of, is that when working in multiple it might present a few problems, or that the unions weren't on the ball (or consulted) when the design and consequent method of working were agreed.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34
  Print  

Jump to: