Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:15 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:16:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 180 Adelantes - discussions, including their return to FGW  (Read 208083 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: June 17, 2012, 11:00:39 »

According to the MD we're still on target to get everything sorted in time for the Olympics.  A second Adelante diagram will be starting in early July, followed by the remaining units coming available by the end of July.  It's going to be a bit of a rush and getting enough crew trained will also not be easy, but we'll see!  Also, the first of the rebuilt Mk.3s is expected any day now with the rest following in time to extend all 2+7 HSTs (High Speed Train) also by the end of July.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 24, 2012, 15:36:00 »

After doing a bit of manoeuvring in Old Oak Common the last few days, 180108 had a shakedown test run to Worcester and back today.  Presumably that will be the unit rostered for the second diagram starting in the near future.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 25, 2012, 18:45:26 »

I've had a look through some of the open access timetabling data websites and I reckon I've worked out the 4 180 diagrams, the first two I've attached below. Most surprising trains I've found are the couple of Oxford-London stopping services which appear to be going over to 180 operation.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 25, 2012, 18:46:20 »

And here are the second two diagrams.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 25, 2012, 18:57:02 »

After doing a bit of manoeuvring in Old Oak Common the last few days, 180108 had a shakedown test run to Worcester and back today.  Presumably that will be the unit rostered for the second diagram starting in the near future.
180108 was reported in service today on the 1120 London-Great Malvern so presumably a second diagram will be starting up soon.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 25, 2012, 21:24:41 »

Thanks for posting those diagrams, 'Southern Stag'.  They match up pretty well with what I've been told over the last few months - which did suggest that the 07:00 and 07:21 stoppers would be 180 operated (they are currently 3-car Turbo's).  They'll be busy, after their final calling point, but should just about cope.  Presumably they'll be shuffled around a little when (or if?) 2E95, 17:32 OXF» (Oxford - next trains)-GMV starts back from Paddington later in the year.

I remain very concerned about 1P35, 08:26 WOF-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains), though.  That's the train that is currently a 3-Car Turbo to Oxford and then attaches to a further 3-Cars.  It is pretty usual that virtually all seats in the part from Worcester are taken on its arrival at Oxford (standing passengers not uncommon during the school holidays), with the front three that start there loading reasonably well and then picking up more at Reading and a lot more at Slough so that as a 6-Car it is virtually full on arrival at Paddington.  It doesn't take a genius to work out that a 6-Car Turbo's worth of passengers into a 5-Car Adelante simply won't go! 

Unless the train is altered so that it omits the call at Slough and is set down only at Reading, I predict major problems!  Perhaps the answer would be a relief Turbo service running from Oxford just ahead of it calling at Reading, Slough and Paddington (and perhaps Maidenhead) around the 09:55 mark (with an easement on Network Card usage from Oxford)?

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 26, 2012, 00:01:03 »

Thanks for posting those diagrams, 'Southern Stag'.  They match up pretty well with what I've been told over the last few months - which did suggest that the 07:00 and 07:21 stoppers would be 180 operated (they are currently 3-car Turbo's).  They'll be busy, after their final calling point, but should just about cope.  Presumably they'll be shuffled around a little when (or if?) 2E95, 17:32 OXF» (Oxford - next trains)-GMV starts back from Paddington later in the year.

I remain very concerned about 1P35, 08:26 WOF-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains), though.  That's the train that is currently a 3-Car Turbo to Oxford and then attaches to a further 3-Cars.  It is pretty usual that virtually all seats in the part from Worcester are taken on its arrival at Oxford (standing passengers not uncommon during the school holidays), with the front three that start there loading reasonably well and then picking up more at Reading and a lot more at Slough so that as a 6-Car it is virtually full on arrival at Paddington.  It doesn't take a genius to work out that a 6-Car Turbo's worth of passengers into a 5-Car Adelante simply won't go! 

Unless the train is altered so that it omits the call at Slough and is set down only at Reading, I predict major problems!  Perhaps the answer would be a relief Turbo service running from Oxford just ahead of it calling at Reading, Slough and Paddington (and perhaps Maidenhead) around the 09:55 mark (with an easement on Network Card usage from Oxford)?

I completely agree, I was shocked when I read that this train will be 180 operated. it is the first Off Peak train of the day for Cotswold passengers (due to sneaky timetabling by FGW (First Great Western) - yes I know 11am arrival is late for off peak!!) and it is normally RAMMED. It needs to be an HST (High Speed Train) and has always needed to be an HST.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 26, 2012, 00:29:43 »

It's interesting that even though that is the 180 diagram that's already up and running, that the 08:26 WOF-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) is still being run by a Turbo for now.

Looks like the 17:32 OXF» (Oxford - next trains)-GMV isn't going to be starting from Paddington yet, September timetables are pretty much confirmed now with reservations now open. Probably will have to December before it's changed now.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #488 on: June 26, 2012, 09:13:20 »

I completely agree, I was shocked when I read that this train will be 180 operated. it is the first Off Peak train of the day for Cotswold passengers (due to sneaky timetabling by FGW (First Great Western) - yes I know 11am arrival is late for off peak!!)
It's the first train on which Off-Peak Day tickets are valid (CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day'))), but Off-Peak tickets (SVR) are valid on the Cathedrals Express (6.30ish from Hereford) and later.

You can't really blame "sneaky timetabling by FGW" for this - it's been the case since Thames Trains days, at least. If you're going to have a go at any TOC (Train Operating Company) for extortionate Off-Peak gouging, try the buffoons at CrossCountry.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 26, 2012, 09:44:56 »

The fare condition for Cheap Day Returns from Worcester changed in 2003 January - before then they were valid on the Cathedrals Express (out of Worcester at 07:52 in those days, and taking just under two hours to Paddington).
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 26, 2012, 20:10:50 »

The fare condition for Cheap Day Returns from Worcester changed in 2003 January - before then they were valid on the Cathedrals Express (out of Worcester at 07:52 in those days, and taking just under two hours to Paddington).

Angry
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 18, 2012, 12:34:06 »

FGW (First Great Western) have finally announced that 5 180s will have Wi-Fi and internet access!

I am no longer an active member of this website.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #492 on: July 18, 2012, 12:44:22 »

Yes, it took them some time to make that public!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 20, 2012, 11:51:09 »

Much more Adelante work is diagrammed from next week.  I hope there's enough driver cover as the training/re-training programme is only about half way through!

BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 17, 2012, 07:44:56 »

Much more Adelante work is diagrammed from next week.  I hope there's enough driver cover as the training/re-training programme is only about half way through!

I noticed this (Friday) morning that an Adelante was pulling westbound out of Reading at about 610am. This is unusual - I am used to seeing a 180 come in for the Worcester service (0622?) but my train wasnt late..so is this another service that is using Adelantes?

Dave
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34
  Print  

Jump to: