Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:36:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 180 Adelantes - discussions, including their return to FGW  (Read 208085 times)
XPT

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 22:47:36 »

Some Class 180 Adelente's are set to return to FGW (First Great Western) services apparantly!  Now there's a surprise.   Not known at this stage though what routes/services they will be used on.  I'd say it was a fair bet they'll be used on London-Oxford's though.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2010, 23:07:26 »

Not so sure about that...
XPT

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 23:15:53 »

I think it's too good to be true. But we'll have to see I guess.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 23:22:23 »

Some Class 180 Adelente's are set to return to FGW (First Great Western) services apparantly!

Apparent to whom?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
XPT

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2010, 23:31:02 »

Well a post today on the http://www.railforums.co.uk said so.

I'll believe it when I see it though.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 23:42:45 by XPT » Logged
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2010, 23:36:34 »

A little heads up, but when quoting someone from another forum, you should ask them before quoting directly what was said out of courtesy and incase of potential problems as a surprisng amount of people get arsey about this kind of thing. Don't mean to cause offence btw
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2010, 23:40:42 »

Actually in this case I'm going to disagree a little with what matt473 said. The reason is that railforums.co.uk is entirely public, so anyone on the internet can read that post without having to register or log in. I would therefore consider that whoever posted that has knowingly placed that information in the public domain.

So, if you're going to make a claim like that again based on a post on a public forum (for which purposes I'm thinking of one where anyone on the web can view the post in question without need for a login or resistration) then please don't leave it unsourced. Tell people where they came from so that they can investigate for themselves.

I would guess that this one may well still be in the realms of fantasy (A said to B who overheard C at the depot saying...), but I'd love to be wrong.

And to keep things tidy, since there's already a thread running about the Adelantes, I'm going to merge this one in.

Edited to change my mind after discovering that the post in question on RailForums is publicly available: if anyone else wants to read the ensuing discussion it's here.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 23:49:35 by inspector_blakey » Logged
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2010, 23:56:25 »

Well a post today on the http://www.railforums.co.uk said so.

I'll believe it when I see it though.

Interesting considering the source. Will so some digging.
northwesterntrains

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2010, 11:26:18 »

Use the five spares (plus the two currently reduced to bumbling between Manchester and Blackpool) to boost capacity on PMH-CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) services, then send a suitable number of displaced 158s (not all of them!) up north to counter the incessant bleating emanating from the north west about overcrowding.

The North West has actually seen a reduction in capacity in the same period that rail growth has grown by 33% via the following:

* 3 car 185s replacing larger 4 car 220s on Manchester to Scotland routes, which only became available after DfT» (Department for Transport - about) told TPE (Trans Pennine Express) to terminate Windermere services north of Preston instead of running them to Man Airport to increase capacity on Arriva CrossCountry routes.
* Arriva CrossCountry predominately using 4 car 220s on Manchester-Birmingham services that were mainly 5 car Voyagers under Virgin.
* 2 car 170s running what was 2 and 3 car 156 or 158 routes on Manchester-Hull and South TPE.
* 3 car 185s running what was between 2 and 5 car 158s on Liverpool-Scarborough and Manchester Airport to Middlesbrough/Newcastle.
(Both 170s and 185s have less capacity per carriage than a 158)
* Mainly 2 car 158s replacing what was mainly 3 and 4 car 158s and 170s on Liverpool-Norwich.
* 10x150s replacing 10x158s due to a West Yorkshires Metro deal with Northern.
* 102 seater 142s from the Arriva Trains Northern area replacing the 120 seater old-First North Western 142s.

The one place where an increase in capacity has been seen is on London services through a more frequent service.  However, this was a controversial move by Virgin as it inolved other operators having to cut back well used commuter services to allow Virgin more paths.

And how many of these instances relating to the north west has the national media actually reported, compared to how much coverage the arrival of 142s at FGW (First Great Western) got? 
northwesterntrains

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2010, 11:37:01 »

I think Northern are not likely to use loco-hauled trains as their licence does not cover such operation. The Workington shuttles were run, I think, on DRS (Direct Rail Services Ltd)'s licence.

DRS did operate Workington shuttles on behalf of Northern, but you have to remember that was seen as a temporary service until a new bridge could be constructed, DRS owned the stock and the last loco-hauled on local/regional North West services was FNW class 31 hauled mk3s (subleased from FM rail) operating Blackpool-Manchester-Chester ending in 2004, so any traction knowledge would have expired.  So it made financial sense for the service to by DRS operated opposed to Northern operated.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2010, 11:55:42 »

Actually in this case I'm going to disagree a little with what matt473 said. The reason is that railforums.co.uk is entirely public, so anyone on the internet can read that post without having to register or log in. I would therefore consider that whoever posted that has knowingly placed that information in the public domain.

So, if you're going to make a claim like that again based on a post on a public forum (for which purposes I'm thinking of one where anyone on the web can view the post in question without need for a login or resistration) then please don't leave it unsourced. Tell people where they came from so that they can investigate for themselves.

I would guess that this one may well still be in the realms of fantasy (A said to B who overheard C at the depot saying...), but I'd love to be wrong.

And to keep things tidy, since there's already a thread running about the Adelantes, I'm going to merge this one in.

Edited to change my mind after discovering that the post in question on RailForums is publicly available: if anyone else wants to read the ensuing discussion it's here.

to add to this the rail forum thread comes up in a google search if you search for right target words so fully available quite easily even for someone who has never heard of RailForums!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2010, 13:25:18 »

Going back to the Adelante's returning to FGW (First Great Western) shocker, then if it's come from a Reading ASLE&F Divisional Council rep then it must be true!  Roll Eyes  I assume it's all because of the fact that East Coast have gone back on their Lincoln intentions?  I thought Grand Central were looking at taking over those though (and possibly the 180's)?

Though in many ways I hope it is true as you could do a lot worse than bang them on the following diagrams that are currently Turbo's (or the odd HST (High Speed Train) with capacity in abundance):

Diagram 1:

1W12  06:48 Paddington to Great Malvern (due 09:43)
1P40  09:54 Great Malvern to Paddington (due 12:29)
1W33  13:21 Paddington to Great Malvern (due 16:00)
1P73  16:50 Great Malvern to Paddington (due 20:06)
1D77  20:51 Paddington to Oxford (due 21:47)
1P85  22:11 Oxford to Paddington (due 23:24)

Diagram 2: 
1D03  05:17 Paddington to Oxford (due 06:22)
1P22  07:21 Oxford to Paddington (due 08:58)
1W21  09:21 Paddington to Worcester F. St. (due 11:39)
1P47  12:06 Worcester F. St. to Paddington (due 14:29)
1D43  14:50 Paddington to Oxford (due 15:47)
1P57  16:01 Oxford to Paddington (due 16:59)
1D73  19:50 Paddington to Oxford (due 20:47)
1P83  21:31 Oxford to Paddington (due 22:41

A slight increase in capacity, and a huge increase in comfort for some of the trains that have now reverted to Turbos.  All that you'd need is for the 08:58 Great Malvern to Paddington to revert back to a HST and the Cotswold Line's lot would be much better with nearly all of the long distance trains having a sensible capacity and rid of the Turbo's on most trains beyond Moreton.

Guess what?  Those Turbo's freed could then be used to provide some much needed capacity on the peak time suburban service too!

Will the Adelante's return?  I would guess not, but if they did I would expect it would be have to be under a much cheaper lease arrangement than they were for FGW to show any interest!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
adc82140

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2010, 19:58:12 »

Given that FGW (First Great Western) are now maintaing 180s for Hull Trains at OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)), it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they could take on a few more there if the price was right.
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2010, 21:12:48 »

Given that FGW (First Great Western) are now maintaing 180s for Hull Trains at OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)), it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they could take on a few more there if the price was right.
Possibly but somehow I doubt it. If they were used it would make sense to use them on services that can be crewed from either Padd, Oxford or Reading. I suspect the length of time they have been gone from depots further West that a full retrain will be required. Too much train for PMH-CDF» (Cardiff - next trains), West drivers have never signed them, HSS (High Speed Services) drivers do not (in general) sign beyond Westbury and IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) there was a problem running them on third rail routes anyway.

From what I read elsewhere it all seems a little unlikely anyway...

Trundling gently round the SW
willc

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2010, 01:04:54 »

to add to this the rail forum thread comes up in a google search if you search for right target words so fully available quite easily even for someone who has never heard of RailForums!

Shouldn't need to Google it. The inspector is right. If you are going to post something like this, then it is only right that you say where it came from. We've had similar issues before with things taken from that same forum being put up up here without any indication of where they came from, as though they are gospel truth. It's not much to ask.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34
  Print  

Jump to: