Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:24 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:09 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
20:24 Exmouth to Cardiff Central
20:30 Carmarthen to Bristol Parkway
20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
21:00 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:15 Great Malvern to Bristol Temple Meads
22:36 Worcester Shrub Hill to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 22:28:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW Staff "Have Had Enough & Are So Under-Motivated"  (Read 8193 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: September 29, 2007, 14:55:22 »

Post from the Farce Great Western Forum (link below.)
http://farcegreatwestern.com/qsilver/index.php?a=topic&t=4

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 21:21:27 »

Post from the Farce Great Western Forum (link below.)
http://farcegreatwestern.com/qsilver/index.php?a=topic&t=4
Totally agree, we were almost proud to work for Wessex trains, when they seemed to listen to staff and passengers by doing things like putting 3 cars on cardiff pompey and running more trains on the Cornish branch lines, i'm sure if Wessex had had more money at the time then a load more improvements would have come, were just stuck with crappy First who don't give a f**k about their staff or customers.
twohats

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 17:05:29 »

well you will be pleased to see that if all goes according to plan many of the major players in the management team are going to be replaced on tuesday, and that includes directors!

they are parachuting in a set of new faces from Trans Pennine Express

word is they have been given 6 months or the franchise is to be stripped from First Group Cool

the god awful cleaning company ISS is to be a casualty as well but they are a scapegoat of the internet auction way of getting a job not done for the cheapest price that was the product of the bean counters of First Group

hats
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 17:47:32 »

well you will be pleased to see that if all goes according to plan many of the major players in the management team are going to be replaced on tuesday, and that includes directors!

word is they have been given 6 months or the franchise is to be stripped from First Group Cool

the god awful cleaning company ISS is to be a casualty as well but they are a scapegoat of the internet auction way of getting a job not done for the cheapest price that was the product of the bean counters of First Group

hats

Good to see at last how serious First are taking this franchise. BUT I suppose if its true that they have 6 months or they lose it that they have to take it seriously and that means getting your top people who have a good track record within the company to sort things out.

It would seem Andrew Haines has been given serious power and been told to use it and do whatever it takes to make things work. He can't do it all by himself and needs a team around him that he can trust to bring about the changes needed to make this franchise work.

I wonder if these changes at the top of the company includes Andrew Griffiths who is due to speak at Wilts Rail Users Group that very evening?
twohats

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 09:46:10 »

but all this doesnt get away from the fact there is a very large financial hole stemming from not enough money being allocated for vehicle maintanance in the original bid which is why they have been carving the franchise up from day one

all the problems stem from the business being run by accountants who have no feel for the business

customers will find a more touchy feely approach but the staff will have to get used to seeing more disaplines being contracted out such as dispatch which has just started on TPE (Trans Pennine Express)

a lot of the non PC managers who really cared about the service, and I will name one now who was the group station manager for Reading, Mike Robinson, were binned as part of the new franchise cull, I really hope if they are still willing they get them back

hats

12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 19:02:57 »

Don't know where you got this from Shocked

In his first time of writing in Connect ( weekly staff newsletter) Andrew Haines said there would no changes immediately. Reading between the lines though there will be some at a later date.

Y...A...W...N Angry Angry Angry As an employee I've heard this statement time and time again. Keep the word is "they've got six months to turn it around or they will lose the franchise" going for another six or seven years and you'll be right. Thats because it will be at the end and up for grabs again. Cry Cry
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 19:48:49 by 12hoursunday » Logged
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 07:01:39 »

hats

Well twohats, did it happen.
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 18:42:02 »

Yeah! come on twohats do tell, was the latest "the word is" true?
Tickets Please

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 19:34:11 »

If it did happen it happened very quietly !!

As for staff being non motivated and first not giving two hoots about its staff or customers - thats a very sweeping statement. I think there is room for improvement (bit of an understatement) but its not ALL bad.

Its a shame some people always look for the bad in every situation but at the same time have no sensible suggestions on how to improve things - I honestly feel that some people wouldnt be happy if they didnt have something to bitch and moan about.

Any comments made are mine and not that of my employer. My comments do not necessarily reflect the views of my employers and should be taken as my personal opinion.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 09:12:39 »

Its a shame some people always look for the bad in every situation but at the same time have no sensible suggestions on how to improve things - I honestly feel that some people wouldnt be happy if they didnt have something to bitch and moan about.

Welcome to the forum, 125guard.  Yes, there are indeed people who will look for the bad  in every situation, and who will consider any change to be a backwards one. And you will probable find a few who are that way inclined around here  Wink

Leaving the staff - most of whom do an excellent job in some sometimes difficult circumstances - aside for one moment, the difficult part of your comment for the customers is how to make sensible suggestions.. Running a train service is complex - horribly complex and more so because of the commercial framework - and it's so easy for us to come up with impractical suggestions.

I'm personally not a great one for bitching and moaning unless I feel it will help the case for a forward looking appropriate service that carries passengers where and when they want to go, on trains that are clean and comfortable, at appropriate fares and crewed by staff who work in an environment such that the enjoy their jobs.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 19:11:21 »

hats

Have been told that there are now 6 FTP (File Transfer Protocol) (First Trans Pennine) personnel now in the management team at FGW (First Great Western).
Tickets Please

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 19:19:44 »

well they are keeping their 'appointments' very quiet if they have.

Any comments made are mine and not that of my employer. My comments do not necessarily reflect the views of my employers and should be taken as my personal opinion.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 21:50:52 »

hats

twohats doesnt seem to want to respond.

Remember this, with todays technology, you dont have to be based in Swindon to be seconded to FGW (First Great Western), you can have a brief and be based elsewhere keeping your eye on things for the new boss from a distance.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: