21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 19:25:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[333] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[69] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[53] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[30] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[28] Signage - not making it easy ...
[6] IETs at Melksham

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Lynton - Barnstaple railway extension plans  (Read 48603 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: September 29, 2007, 15:24:54 »

A ^30m project to develop an historic former narrow gauge railway line in Exmoor national park has been unveiled (link below.)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7018960.stm

The Lynton and Barnstaple Railway Trust is hoping to extend the existing line by 14.4km.

One mile of the line , which closed in 1935 , was recently reopened by the trust for historic trips.

Funding bids will be put forward to the European Regional Development Fund , Heritage Funding.

The trust also plans to build a park and ride facility to encourage people to leave their cars outside the national park and use the railway for travel to Lynton.

It believes the project could return ^70m within five years.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 19:32:10 »

I'm aware that I'm resurrecting a rather old topic here - but it's good news, after all.  Smiley

From barnstaplepeople:

Rail group on track for expansion

The Lynton and Barnstaple Railway Trust is two steps closer to restoring the disused line to Blackmoor Gate thanks to a ^36,000 grant and an acquisition of land.

Exmoor National Park Authority announced it was giving the trust ^36,000 out of the Exmoor National Park Partnership Fund at the end of last month.

As well as this Devon County Council has transferred the ownership of land near the Parracombe bypass on the A39.

Tony Nicholson, from the trust said: "We paid Devon County Council a small sum for the piece of track bed at Parracombe but part of the deal was we, at the trust, would look after the picnic site in future. The county council still owns the picnic site, which lies between the trackbed and the A39 and has been rather neglected in recent years."

County Councillor Andrea Davis said: "The Lynton and Barnstaple Railway is a great project and the county council will always try to help the trust where possible, like in this instance."

It is expected the track will be extended to Blackmoor Gate within the next five years and completing this stage of the project is estimated to cost ^5 million.

Mr Nicholson added: "A station at Blackmoor Gate will enable visitors to park their cars there and ride into the national park without damaging in any way the beauty and tranquillity they have come to enjoy. But before the line can be extended the railway needs planning permission to do so and a Transport and Works Act Order from the Department for Transport to allow it to cross any public highway. These permissions in turn require the completion of a number of expensive surveys before they can be approved. The grant from the national park's partnership fund will go towards the completion of surveys such as topographical surveys and environmental impact assessments."

Clearing of the track bed at Parracombe has already begun with the trust's volunteers working hard over recent weekends in order to clear over 75 years of vegetation growth since the original railway closed in 1935.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 19:48:38 »

Great news! I know the Parracombe stretch really well, having had (as it were) a girlfriend who lived there back in the early 1980s. Her father had worked on the line and told me many stories.

I do believe the Nescafe coffee couple from the fondly remembered TV ads from several years ago live in the house now!

I seem to remember the Railway Trust will have to do some considerable bridge and maybe even embankment building to make this a reality, but I wish them all the very best from the bottom of my heart.
Plymboi

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 17:32:15 »

Would this be for passenger services (National Rail) or hertiage
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 18:13:26 »

Heritage.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 00:57:32 »

For full details of the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway, visit their websiteSmiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 20:57:57 »

Am a member of the Trust. There is a huge amount of work going on behind the scenes for the push towards Blackmore Gate (from the Killington Lane temporary terminus).

Exmoor Associates are also making steady progress in acquiring trackbed south of Blackmore Gate. Together with the Trust, 20% of the original line has now been purchased, with more under negotiation.

All donations welcome Wink
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 21:40:42 »

I'm not in a position to make a donation at present, Umberleigh (tis Crimbo coming up don't'cha know?) but I'd like to wish you and your fellow Trust members great success going forward....

Merry Christmas  Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 18:15:52 »

From the Western Morning News:

Michael Portillo backs little line's big expansion plan

Michael Portillo has paid a visit to Woody Bay Station on the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway while filming for his next series of Great British Railway Journeys.

The broadcaster and former Conservative cabinet minister delighted volunteers and holidaymakers with his ^unassuming affability^, according to a spokesman for the railway^s trust.

Michael Portillo during a break in filming at Woody Bay Station in North Devon. The programme is scheduled to be shown on BBC2 next January

Mr Portillo also wished the trust success in its plans to extend the line.

The Lynton and Barnstaple Railway Trust is drawing up a planning application to extend the railway from its present one mile of operation to nine miles.

The extended line would run from Caffyns near Lynton to Blackmoor Gate and Wistlandpound Reservoir.

Eventually the trust hopes to extend the line back into Lynton and all the way to Barnstaple.

Drop-in events are currently being held as part of the public consultation into the application. The next will be at the Calvert Trust Discovery Centre on Saturday, June 9.

RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 21:49:46 »

Mr Portillo was spotted at Exeter Central on the Friday morning getting off a train from Barnstaple. Suspect this programme will be the L&B plus the Atlantic Coast Express. 

Look forward to seeing it.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 22:30:12 »

Did Mr Portillo recognise you, Richard?  Grin

Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 14:01:27 »

Labour leader Ed Milliband was also at Woody bay a few weeks ago with his young son, enjoyed his visit by all accounts.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 19:47:09 »

Did Mr Portillo recognise you, Richard?  Grin

Cheesy    It wasn't me who saw him.......
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 23:14:28 »

Here is the link to Ed Miliband's visit, as repoted in the North Devon Journal:

PEOPLE arriving for a ride on the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway on Sunday were not expecting to be sitting next to the leader of the Labour Party.

But that is exactly what happened.
 ​

ON BOARD: Ed Miliband with his family on the steam train at Woody Bay Station.@ Picture: David Powell
(Sorry - couldn't figure out how to do the pictures).

Ed Miliband arrived at Woody Bay station with his wife Justine and two sons while he was on an Easter break in North Devon.

The family enjoyed the train ride before having tea at the station's tea rooms.

Mr Miliband also introduced one of his sons, Daniel, to the train driver, Pete Williams.

Mr Williams, 65, has been driving the trains for five years but was not expecting to meet one of the country's leading politicians as part of his role.

He said: "Mr Miliband felt we were doing a good job. He seemed a smashing chap but we were mostly focused on his little 'un."

Tony Nicholson, who is the publicity officer for the railway and was also at the station, said: "I asked him if the boys liked trains and he said they always liked going to a heritage railway when they were on holiday."

Journal Match of the Week sports columnist David Powell happened to be in the same carriage as Mr Miliband with his wife, Beverley, and grandson, Sacha.

Mr Powell, who lives in Parracombe, asked Mr Miliband what he thought of the attraction and its plans for the line to extended up to Parracombe. Mr Miliband told him: "My son Daniel, in particular, is a fan of the steam railway, so we have been here once before.

"It's a great experience, we have really enjoyed it. The volunteers are fantastic keeping it going.

"It's a great attraction and a great day out for the kids. I think the plans for the future are very exciting."
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:27:43 by Four Track Now! » Logged

Now, please!
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 21:38:43 »

Mr. Milliband has also been seen in recent months with his children on the footplate at Winchcombe on the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire.

What bets on (supposed) further railway investment in the next Labour manifesto?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: