06:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
06:50 London Paddington to Evesham
07:12 Plymouth to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 07:59:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] You see all sorts on the bus.
[53] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[46] Where have I been?
[44] "We can’t get from A to B in Britain and it might just be th...
[41] "Mayflower"
[34] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Derailed train at Penzance sidings - 26 June 2010  (Read 25681 times)
James158

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2010, 05:32:32 »

Good morning Smiley

I have just visited the FGW (First Great Western) website and apparently a train has derailed at Penzance sidings. From the FGW website:-

06:50 Penzance to London Paddington due 12:23
This train has been cancelled. This is due to a derailed train.
Owing to a derailment in the sidings at Penzance we are unable to operate this service.

10:59 Penzance to London Paddington due 16:23
This train will be started from Plymouth.

It will no longer call at: Penzance, St Erth, Hayle, Camborne, Redruth, Truro, St Austell, Bodmin Parkway and Liskeard.

This is due to a derailed train.
Owing to a derailment in the sidings at Penzance we are unable to operate this service between Penzance and Plymouth.

It looks like this is going to disrupt some services badly out of Penzance this morning as this may disrupt trains coming out of the depot.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 05:39:02 by James158 » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 07:10:54 »

Hmm.....d^ vu.

I wonder if 153318 has done the splits again?

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=6128.msg59991#msg59991

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 08:14:18 »

Hmm.....d^ vu.

I wonder if 153318 has done the splits again?

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=6128.msg59991#msg59991

Yes - I had that thought too, and wondered if I should merge the topics for clarity.   But then the moderator team has been doing a lot of topic merging recently ... on one hand, we want to encourage clarity by grouping discussions on a single subject, but on the other hand we don't want to keep coming in and moving things around that members have chosen to place as they do for a reason.

So - just a plea.  If original posters can have a quick look around and if there's a recent thread already running on the subject (as there is in this case - the other thread bignosemac pointed us to was followed up on earlier this month, 7 threads below on the very same board), please continue that thread unless there's a really good reason to start afresh. Thanks!

Is there something about the yard at Penzance that makes it prone to this?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 09:04:36 »

20100626   11:22   Newquay   16:32   London Paddington   -
Full report: "This train will be formed of 2 coaches instead of 8 between Newquay and Plymouth.

Presumably related - with the 125 that would have run to Newquay and back being used for the service that running not from Penzance but from Plymouth.

Will 2 cars be enough to take all the "Summer Saturday Special" crowds?  I'm suspecting that, regrettably, they will based on previous comments on similar matters; long since gone are the days of a procession of services up and down to the West Country on Summer Saturdays, using stock that was otherwise underemployed.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 09:36:35 »

20100626   11:22   Newquay   16:32   London Paddington   -
Full report: "This train will be formed of 2 coaches instead of 8 between Newquay and Plymouth.

Presumably related - with the 125 that would have run to Newquay and back being used for the service that running not from Penzance but from Plymouth.

Will 2 cars be enough to take all the "Summer Saturday Special" crowds?  I'm suspecting that, regrettably, they will based on previous comments on similar matters; long since gone are the days of a procession of services up and down to the West Country on Summer Saturdays, using stock that was otherwise underemployed.

We have not really reached the peak time on this route so a 2 car should be sufficient today.  Ask the same question in a months time and tha answer would be very different
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 10:10:10 »

Isn't this the second or third derailment at Penzance?

Time for the track gang, if there is one, to get packing and lining.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 10:15:50 »

Isn't this the second or third derailment at Penzance?

Time for the track gang, if there is one, to get packing and lining.

Agreed, but it won't be a Network Rail one as the depot track is the responsibility of the TOC (Train Operating Company).
woody

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 10:18:48 »

Also I think there are 3 or 4 "specials" running to Penzance today to add to existing problems.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 10:43:13 »

Yep King is supposed to be going right through to Par, now they are cleared over the Royal Albert brirge, with Western onto Penzance,

6024 King Edward I today from Paddington to Exeter where 5029 Nunney Castle is attached for the run to Par then D1015 Western Champion to Penzance. The return train on Monday should be hauled  by 5029 and 6024 throughout

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 10:46:15 »

So in the crazy world of today's railway TOCs (Train Operating Company) have to employ track workers (or contract it out) in their depots.

Why isn't it a Networkrail responsibilty it's important infrastructure after all?
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 11:32:24 »

I so wish they'd redouble the main line back into Penzance.
Coombe Stn

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 13:26:07 »

I so wish they'd redouble the main line back into Penzance.

Sorry but why? what difference would it make and where would it be laid ?
Coombe Stn

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 13:31:07 »

Just seen some photo's, it was a HST (High Speed Train) in the same place as 153318 and the same problem.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 14:53:30 »

So in the crazy world of today's railway TOCs (Train Operating Company) have to employ track workers (or contract it out) in their depots.

Why isn't it a Networkrail responsibilty it's important infrastructure after all?

Ask the Tory party.............. Tongue .........................and no, I don't want to start a political argument here.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 14:58:04 »

Just seen some photo's, it was a HST (High Speed Train) in the same place as 153318 and the same problem.

Sounds then if FGW (First Great Western) need to do a rethink on the type of handpoint mechanisim they have.  Most new depots of the size of Long Rock would probably have a full depot control system with powered points.  But lets wait and see........
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: