I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 00:03:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Derailed train at Penzance sidings - 26 June 2010  (Read 25377 times)
slippy

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2010, 23:36:02 »

Set is now back on the tracks, was achieved by just using jacks and slewing.....
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2010, 01:13:57 »

The derailment appears to have taken place on a set of 'double slip' points which look something like this:

No wonder! If they're using PECO OO ((Double O) - model railway, 4mm to 1 foot scale)-gauge double slips in Long Rock I'm surprised it took this long before an HST (High Speed Train) split them  Grin

Coat.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2010, 01:27:59 »

Bear in mind, Network Rail have just had ^100m removed from their budget ...  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2010, 08:06:57 »

The continent in general  use a lot more doubel slips than we do especialy in station limits.

When they were 4 tracking East of Dresden. At this time they were working the whole service in both directions over a single double slip at one of the local Dresden S bahn stations, where the four tracking was changing sides.  I've a piece of Video with a Prague Hamburg EC crossing to the old S Bahn lines from the new through lines over a double slip.

The interesting thing was that as the Resturant Car swung passed the end of the rail level  platform there was loud clonk as the Box under the coach clipped the corner. As far as know the train continued to Hamburg!

Having said this there is one double slip in the UK (United Kingdom) in FGW (First Great Western) territory but not fortunately Networkrail, but it can affect the GMWL, over which the whole service in both directions is worked  for 20 hours a day. This is in Heathrow airport and forms the junction with the old termianl 4 branch and the new terminal 5 line. Although on BAA territory it under /Slough IECC (Integrated Electronic Control Centre) control.
slippy

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2010, 22:01:23 »

Bear in mind, Network Rail have just had ^100m removed from their budget ...  Grin

Isnt the track within the depot confines FGW (First Great Western)'s responsibilty and nothing to do with NR» (Network Rail - home page)???
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2010, 00:14:24 »

I think Chris was making a joke, but as noted by SandTengineer above, yes the track in the depot is the responsibility of FGW (First Great Western).
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2010, 12:12:06 »

I so wish they'd redouble the main line back into Penzance.

Sorry but why? what difference would it make and where would it be laid ?

As per the FGW (First Great Western) proposal in the 2007 route plan, it would improve , capacity and performance, also give greater flexibility and possibly allow more Pz-St Ives through services.   
Coombe Stn

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2010, 15:59:18 »

I so wish they'd redouble the main line back into Penzance.

Sorry but why? what difference would it make and where would it be laid ?

As per the FGW (First Great Western) proposal in the 2007 route plan, it would improve , capacity and performance, also give greater flexibility and possibly allow more Pz-St Ives through services.   

I still cannot see where it would improve capacity/performance as for most of the day there is roughly only one train each way it might help a little during the morning peak but there are only a couple of trains that have to wait for a departing one to clear.

In order to maintain the half hourly service on the St Ives they would need an extra one or two trains should they be extended to Penzance (something FGW sadly lack) even with the additional ones that are supposed to be arriving at some point.

Money would be far better spent on addtional signalling between St Erth and Camborne that would greatley improve capacity/performance.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2010, 17:46:16 »

Isnt the track within the depot confines FGW (First Great Western)'s responsibilty and nothing to do with NR» (Network Rail - home page)???

That's how it is I believe.

I KNOW that the Downside yard maintenance at Lostwithiel IS DONE by EWS (English Welsh & Scottish Railway Ltd, now known as DB Schenker Rail (UK (United Kingdom))), Sorry the German Government.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2010, 18:48:09 »

It means the depot is completely closed

Entering from the Penzance end from the pictures I have seen the fuel road and No 4 running road available,
all they have to do is remove the Penzance end vehicles as far back as the derailed ones and that would give them the shed road back.

The last coach travelled over two different tracks subsequently squashing a location cabinet on the depot. The Cabinet is somewhat critical to the operation of the depot infrastructure!

critical for emptying Voyager toilets that is !

Voyager toilets are only emptied at Central Rivers up Burton way.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2010, 20:22:20 »

Hmm.

Just to clarify: my quizzical comment about Network Rail having a reduction of ^100 million on their budget was indeed a joke - hence the  Grin

I was merely following up inspector_blakey's amusing observation about the implied use of OO ((Double O) - model railway, 4mm to 1 foot scale) gauge points in Long Rock ...  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
slippy

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2010, 22:39:02 »

That's how it is I believe.

I KNOW that the Downside yard maintenance at Lostwithiel IS DONE by EWS (English Welsh & Scottish Railway Ltd, now known as DB Schenker Rail (UK (United Kingdom))), Sorry the German Government.

Theres definately NO maintenance done in the downside yard at Lostwithiel currently, have you seen the state of it!!?!!
Coombe Stn

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2010, 14:01:46 »

It means the depot is completely closed

Entering from the Penzance end from the pictures I have seen the fuel road and No 4 running road available,
all they have to do is remove the Penzance end vehicles as far back as the derailed ones and that would give them the shed road back.

The last coach travelled over two different tracks subsequently squashing a location cabinet on the depot. The Cabinet is somewhat critical to the operation of the depot infrastructure!

critical for emptying Voyager toilets that is !

Voyager toilets are only emptied at Central Rivers up Burton way.

OK critical for emptying Sleepers then :-)
Coombe Stn

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2010, 14:06:48 »

Errant Power car and 2 remaining First class coaches, should be leaving Long Rock by road today 01/07/10

Rest of train was taken to Laira by the (i believe) Sleeper loco using a Barrier vehicle for coupling purposes.

Normal working now resumed at Long Rock with the offending points being clipped for each movement.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2010, 17:03:10 »

Errant Power car and 2 remaining First class coaches, should be leaving Long Rock by road today 01/07/10
Much damage done? Not a good time for FGW (First Great Western) to be losing any rolling stock with the peak summer season almost upon us.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: