Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:25:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Somerset & Dorset - heritage line - the remains and possible resurrection  (Read 19665 times)
Kingfisherdart

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2010, 20:14:47 »

Not entirely sure if this is the appropriate page for this discussion - I'll let the moderators decide!

Spent a few hours cycling around Bruton today, looking for traces of the old Somerset and Dorset railway. Anyone else interested in this line?

I found plenty of evidence, including the station buildings at Cole, as well as several overbridges and embankments, not to mention the abutments of where the S&D (Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway) crossed the Berks & Hants west of Bruton. I've attached a few photos - hope these are of interest to people...

Luke

The former station at Cole - just a 5 minute cycle ride from Bruton station.

An HST (High Speed Train) heads for Paddington, at the site where the S&D used to cross the Berks & Hants. You can just make out where the line ran, to the right of the trees just in front of the power car.

Not many people could miss this as being a former railway line...

The Berks & Hants to the west of Bruton. The S&D would have run across the foreground of this shot

An overbridge half way between Cole and Evercreech. An original concrete workman's hut survives under this bridge. The trackbed can be seen curving off towards the Berks & Hants line, and Cole station.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 21:31:26 »

Thanks for posting that. I'm certainly happy to have threads like this - in fact I think I did one up the line at Patney and Chirton at one point.    Where to put it is a really good question to which I don't really and answer for.   Personally, I would go for the board of the neighbouring open line - which is a combination of Heart of Wessex and London to West of England.   If only FGW (First Great Western) was as simple as the tube and we could have one colour for each line!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 21:51:15 »

They are of great interest, thanks for taking the time to post them here.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 22:04:25 »

Yes, thirded - I'm definitely up for more of this. I'd love to find a straightforward resource that shows where to park and walk stretches of this line (and others) but every one I've ever found online and in books has been over complicated and aimed at the serious walker who isn't phased by grid references and "14 mile rambles". I may be in a minority but I just want to be able to park my car somewhere safe and easy, unload the bikes or pull on a pair of wellies, and spend three or four hours at most letting my imagination roam free in a former railway environment.

Most enjoyable outing so far this year was parking in Winscombe and wandering through Shute Shelve tunnel to Axbridge and back along the Strawberry Line, but that felt like cheating in a way given that I used to live there (albeit 40 years ago now). So, yeah: any other recommendations (esp. backed up with photos) much appreciated. Thanks!
Kingfisherdart

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 22:10:13 »

I quite agree Phil - exactly what I did from Bruton station today!

I'm aiming to see as much of the line as possible - I reckon bike is the best way - you can stop as you wish, but you're never blocking anyone as you would in a car.

Others I plan to do, are Evercreech Junction and Evercreech (from Castle Cary), Broadstone (Hamworthy), the Camerton Branch (Freshford?), and Wincanton (Bruton or Templecombe).

I would be interested in setting up a website for 'manageable' railway walks (or cycles). I stuck to the lanes for my visit - thought trying to follow the line itself may have been a bit of a challenge, but i'm sure I managed to see most, if not all of it.

Luke
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 23:03:21 »

I find Google Earth and Bing Maps very useful in tracing the route of disused lines. Often where there appears no visible remains on the ground an aerial view can show up traces of a route. Handy for finding spots where former lines cross country lanes and farm tracks.

Here's an aerial view of Evercreech Junction and you can see the branch to Highbridge curving off to the top left. Even where fields have been ploughed you can still see the feint impression of the line:

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
The Grecian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 19:12:32 »

If you're interested in the S&D (Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway), there's an open day where you can walk through the mile long Combe Down Tunnel on the southern outskirts of Bath coming up on Saturday 17th July. It's part of the general intent of the Two Tunnels Group to open the 4 mile Bath-Midford stretch as a cycle path in the long term. More info here:

http://www.twotunnels.org.uk/index.html
Kingfisherdart

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 11:38:06 »

A further update. Walked from Cole - all the way to Evercreech Junction this week - got some further photos. Extremely sad to see Evercreech Junction in it's present form.

Cole Station - taken from the other side of the field. A station sign survives inside the dwelling.

The two-arch overbridge to the South of Cole - with the line to Wincanton heading off through the partially infilled cutting.

Crossing Cottage - the site of the former 'Lamyatt Crossing', one of two level crossings situated between Cole and Evercreech Junction. The second was further to the south, and crossed the main Bruton to Castle Road - this was known as 'Cole Road Crossing'.

The forlorn remains of Evercreech Junction station. The back garden of what was the station building, marks the site of the platforms. The signal box and other buildings on the largely hidden 'up' platform are all but a memory. I believe the platform structures still exist underneath the turf.

A section of the former 'up' platform is still visible. The posts for the platform fencing are still there, made of old rail - and you can even see the Southern green that was applied to them. A signal box used to stand on this section of the platform. The section of the platform that juts out, is where the waiting shelter would have stood.

Behind the cars of the 'Natterjack Inn', is where Evercreech Junction crossing used to be. The line from Cole arrived over this road once upon a time.

Another view of the remaining station building, at Evercreech Junction. This is the former entrance - the platforms are on the other side.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 18:13:27 by lukefarley » Logged

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 12:27:07 »

Hi All
Just joined the forum as i have an interest in the S&D (Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway).
We live in the "Crossing Cottage" at Lamyatt. I was interested to notice the photo of my house here on the forum. On a point of interest, the original Crossing Cottage is still standing. I built around it and it is still inside of the new house. The cottage was originally 12ft x 12ft. One up and one down with a small outhouse built on the end furthest away from the road. It was extended with another 12ft x 12ft built on the end. This was how it stood when we bought it. Coal was dropped off from the passing trains. Water was supplied in churns from Evercreech Junction to both Lamyatt and Bruton Road Cottages.
There is still some of the track left here. it runs from Crossing Cottage to the Naterjack Inn next to the old Evercreech junction station. It is very overgrown now. The photo that i have attached is of Lamyatt Crossing Cottage sometime in the 1960's. The gates have been smashed by a local lady in her car. She had washed the car, got water in the brakes and could not stop. We came here in 1984 and have extended the property as you can see from Lukes photo. I notice that several people like to do walks or rides in this area. If anyone needs somewhere to park then we would be pleased to help. We have lots of space here. We also have a friend who has extensive knowledge of the S&D in this area and couldprovide information. If anyone has any photos of this neck of the woods i would appreciate to know. The other Crossing Cottage next along the line towards Cole Station from here was called Bruton Road Crossing. In latter years Mr and Mrs Box lived there. It was demolished as it had no water supply, no drainage and i don't think any electricity.
If you woant to contact me further my email address is gerald@rightway.biz
Hopefully the photo will be attached!!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 12:53:50 »

Thank you very much, 567662, for that informative first post. I'm sure the information provided will be of interest to some of the forum members.

May I, on behalf of the Admin and Moderator team, extend a very warm welcome to the Coffee Shop!  Smiley

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 14:44:13 »

A big welcome to the forum 567662 and also a personal thanks for your kind offer of a place to park - I may very well take you up on that!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 10:33:17 »

Hi All
Just joined the forum as i have an interest in the S&D (Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway).
We live in the "Crossing Cottage" at Lamyatt. I was interested to notice the photo of my house here on the forum. On a point of interest, the original Crossing Cottage is still standing. I built around it and it is still inside of the new house. The cottage was originally 12ft x 12ft. One up and one down with a small outhouse built on the end furthest away from the road. It was extended with another 12ft x 12ft built on the end. This was how it stood when we bought it. Coal was dropped off from the passing trains. Water was supplied in churns from Evercreech Junction to both Lamyatt and Bruton Road Cottages.
There is still some of the track left here. it runs from Crossing Cottage to the Naterjack Inn next to the old Evercreech junction station. It is very overgrown now. The photo that i have attached is of Lamyatt Crossing Cottage sometime in the 1960's. The gates have been smashed by a local lady in her car. She had washed the car, got water in the brakes and could not stop. We came here in 1984 and have extended the property as you can see from Lukes photo. I notice that several people like to do walks or rides in this area. If anyone needs somewhere to park then we would be pleased to help. We have lots of space here. We also have a friend who has extensive knowledge of the S&D in this area and couldprovide information. If anyone has any photos of this neck of the woods i would appreciate to know. The other Crossing Cottage next along the line towards Cole Station from here was called Bruton Road Crossing. In latter years Mr and Mrs Box lived there. It was demolished as it had no water supply, no drainage and i don't think any electricity.
If you woant to contact me further my email address is gerald@rightway.biz
Hopefully the photo will be attached!!

I tried to walk the section between Lamyatt crossing cottage and Evercreech Junction many years ago [in the mid nineties,i think],but the cutting adjacent to the cottage was as absolute bog and impossible to get through-has it dried out at all since? If you're interested in the S and D and its possible restoration,try these sites;

http://www.sdjr.co.uk/
http://www.shillingstone.addr.com/
http://somersetanddorset.blogspot.com/

The latter is a plan to restore the entire S and D between Bath and Bournemouth,much debated on other sites! Unlikely in my lifetime i would say,but who knows in the fullness of time?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 09:42:05 »

Not sure if this is in the right section but an appeal has been launched by the Somerset and Dorset Railway Heritage Trust,who have carried out a wonderful restoration job at Midsomer Norton,to purchase Masbury station about 6 miles down the line with a long term view to joining the two and making a real working heritage line a possibility;

http://www.sdjr.co.uk/

If Masbury station was to be purchased,then i'd have thought that Shepton Mallet would also be a very achievable aim in the longer long term-now that would be a mouth watering prospect.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 12:48:33 »

I wish them the best of luck with this.

There don't seem to be too many physical obstacles between Masbury and Midsomer Norton, other than (I make it) one missing bridge and a couple of houses at Binegar. Oh, and a couple of level crossings.

Be interesting to see what impact this would have on the East Somerset Railway if it succeeds.

Not sure this really qualifies as a 'Campaign for new or improved service' though - at best this would surely be a tourist attraction?

Edit: Typo and clarification
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 17:18:36 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 00:22:23 »

Many thanks to 34104 for the original post, and to Red Squirrel for an initial response.  Smiley

This topic was originally posted on our 'Across the West' board, but I felt it was rather more appropriate here, as a 'new campaign'.  However, time constraints made it difficult for me to complete that move yesterday as neatly as I'd have liked.  Embarrassed

What I'd now like to do is to combine any previous posts on the subject of the Somerset & Dorset Railway Heritage Trust here - rather as we have done previously, with other heritage lines and their aspirations to expand their services.

Please bear with me, while I do a bit more shunting on the forum!  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: