DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 09:42:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[135] access for all at Devon stations report
[133] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[38] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[24] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[16] Cornish delays
[15] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: HST hits tree at Lavington today - 10 July 2010  (Read 40636 times)
woody

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2010, 23:45:52 »

I understand the that today the 1306 Paddington to Penzance hit a tree at Lavingdon near Westbury causing severe damage to the front power car cab.The tree crashed through the power cars  cab side and exited through the windscreen luckily missing the driver.Can anyone confirm or add any further details.ie which power car was involved in the collision.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 00:00:41 »

43041, dragged to WSB» (Westbury - next trains) by 59201. Driver only minor injuries. Arrival into Westbury over 400 late. Whole set has wherlflats so will all require attention, with 41 needing a new cab!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 00:09:17 »

Glad to hear the driver is OK. 43041 needing a new cab and driver needing new pants I expect!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bigdaz
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 07:06:26 »

It sounds to me like the driver and passengers were extremely lucky not to have suffered a derailment. 

I assume the tree must have been nearing the track bit by bit for some time before falling foul of the train's clearance area.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 08:10:49 »

Just for the record, it's Lavington not Lavingdon.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 10:59:35 »

Mark Few has some photos of the set on arrival at Westbury on his Fotopic site:

http://markfew.fotopic.net/c1870413.html
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 12:07:20 »

Jeez..... looking at the damage, the driver was indeed very lucky to get away with only minor injuries.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 18:53:05 »

i guess this means no spare powercars now
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 22:29:40 »

Rumour that another HST (High Speed Train) powercar hit an electric cable pole at Hayes & Harlington today too.

Anyone confirm this?

Here, there and Everywhere!!
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 01:27:47 »

i guess this means no spare powercars now

I don't think there were any spare before the Penzance derailment!

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 06:05:47 »

Rumour that another HST (High Speed Train) powercar hit an electric cable pole at Hayes & Harlington today too.

Anyone confirm this?

there were reports of an obstruction on the line in that area, and a paddington-plymouth train terminated at Slough, and was restarted from exeter, i initially thought due to the tree incident, but why wouldnt they of terminated it further along such as at reading?

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 06:20:25 »

Shame FGW (First Great Western) no longer have their long distance loco hauled sets that were taken off lease a few years back as I think they may need them if they lose another set. Sorry to say the Cotswold line will probably find more of their HST (High Speed Train) booked services operating as Turbos when FGW need every set to run summer services to the South West.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 06:42:07 »

Can FGW (First Great Western) not spot hire a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) HST (High Speed Train) set? They're under utilised at the moment.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 08:29:45 »

i wonder if there are any dvt's spare that can work hith hst's, class 67's have a top speed of 120 but doubt they are compatible with the hst mk 3's electrics, plenty of mk2 stock around but can this do 125?

on a slightly different subject STOP MOANING ABOUT TURBOS, would you like pacers insted??
willc

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 08:49:36 »

FGW (First Great Western) has 118 Class 43s and 53 rakes of MK3s, not all of which are in traffic due to servicing, so if they can't supply enough sets each day out of that lot, even with a number of 43s and this rake needing emergency repairs, one does wonder. And I don't know where they might be getting any more Turbos from, the fleet is flat out already on weekdays and one or two sets at a time are out of traffic for refresh work, so precious little slack there.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: