Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:55 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:58:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: December 2007 timetable  (Read 5137 times)
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2007, 21:25:14 »

I have been doing some OJP (Online Journey Planner) enquires to establish the pattern of services from my local station, Yate, into Bristol and back.

The service seems acceptable to me aalthough I bet there will be some moans from passengers. The first two services are roughly at the same times as at present, 0648 as against 0641 now and 0739 against 0742 now. Then the pattern changes from XX42 now to 0815 thence hourly at 0910 until 2010 then the final service of the day at 2141. Most services will now also call at Stapleton Road and Lawrence Hill on their way into Bristol but there are exceptions.

We are privileged to be be getting through services to Weymouth (7 services), Brighton (1 service) and 1 terminating service each to Taunton, Southampton and Frome and 3 terminating services to Westbury. The remaining 2 services terminate at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)).

Journeys TO Yate from Bristol commence their journeys at Salisbury (1), Warminster (4), Westbury (1), Weymouth (5), Brighton (2), Bath Spa (1) and Bristol Temple Meads (1). NONE of these services however call at Lawrence Hill or Stapleton Road, passengers (where there is a connecting service) have about an 18 minute connectional time at Filton Abbey Wood.

I have established that there are a few quirks in the information I have gleened from the OJP. ALL the XX10 services from Yate to Bristol are timed to arrive at Temple Meads at XX34, XX35 or XX36. There is one service, the 1210 which is the Brighton service is shown as NOT calling at Stapleton Road or Lawrence Hill  with a scheduled arrival at BTM as 1236, this is 2 minutes MORE in journey time than a number of services which do call at the two Bristol suburban stations - Why Huh

I also did an enquiry on the last train of the day to Bristol for the journey to Stapleton Road only and the OJP came up with this. Travel into Bristol on the 2141 service and then get a Cardiff service BACK to Filton Abbey Wood and thence finally a Cardiff to Bristol service from Filton Abbey Wood to Stapleton Road. At the time this service would pass through Stapleton Road (approx 2200) I fail to see why this service should not stop there and Laarence Hill as any snowball effect on following trains would be minimal at that time of night.

Looking forward to seeing the draft timetable for this route online to see if my enquires line up with the FGW (First Great Western) draft issue of the TT.

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 10:09:20 »

Journeys TO Yate from Bristol commence their journeys at Salisbury (1), Warminster (4), Westbury (1), Weymouth (5), Brighton (2), Bath Spa (1) and Bristol Temple Meads (1). NONE of these services however call at Lawrence Hill or Stapleton Road, passengers (where there is a connecting service) have about an 18 minute connectional time at Filton Abbey Wood.

Mind you , according to the previous draft copies of the FGW (First Great Western) December 2007 Timetable that I have , they had to change which services called at Stapleton Road & Lawrence Hill at least twice , plus their timings , because they were having real problems with pathing. This is illustrated by the small print at the bottom of page 11 of the link below (Andrew Griffith's 22 May 2007 analysis , which starts from page 10.) :
http://www.wellho.net/wccfoi/wccfgw3.pdf

"Pathing problems preclude the northbound service from calling at Lawrence Hill and Stapleton Road; instead these calls are included in the Cardiff service."

Also , similiar pathing problems have probably caused the radical change in Severn Beach Line timings (link below.)
http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Documents/Custom/Dec%2007%20Bristol%20to%20Severn%20Beach%20Mon%20-%20Fri.pdf

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
paulsouthwales

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 21:53:50 »

We are privileged to be be getting through services to Weymouth (7 services), Brighton (1 service) and 1 terminating service each to Taunton, Southampton and Frome and 3 terminating services to Westbury. The remaining 2 services terminate at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)).Looking forward to seeing the draft timetable for this route online to see if my enquires line up with the FGW (First Great Western) draft issue of the TT.

Yes indeed!  but that is at the cost of through Cardiff - Weymouth/Brighton services!  Cardiff - Brighton has always been a through journey opportunity.  In fact it used to run from Milford Haven through to Brighton with BR (British Rail(ways)) back in the late eighties!  I guess we get (from Cardiff) our Taunton services back thought.

I guess you cant please all the people all the time!

Why couldnt FGW have just taken on the former Wessex timetable back in December 2006?  This IS a serious question!!!!!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 07:59:46 »

Why couldnt FGW (First Great Western) have just taken on the former Wessex timetable back in December 2006?  This IS a serious question!!!!!

And it deserves a serious answer.  "The Old Wessex Timetable did not meet the Government's specification for the new services which is part of First's Contract". Of course, First chose to sign up to that contract and were in a very strong position at the time to say "we don't believe that x change will work, so we won't do it".

But there's always a need to move on, and a pattern which was right for the 1990s wouldn't be right for the 2000s and the 2010s.  However, it's my opinion that too much was changed too soon; the new broom was so busy sweeping in so many places that a job that wasn't very good was done all over the place.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 19:29:56 »

Just looked at the online TT for services from Yate and there is a major error on the draft issue.

The stations listiing has Filton Abbey Wood and Bristol Parkway tranposed and thus on services TO Yate from Bristol whilst the Filton Abbey Wood time is shown no services are shown as stopping at Bristol Parkway. In the opposite direction services are shown as calling at Bristol Parkway but not shown as calling at Filton Abbey Wood.

Thats how I read the timetable, anyone confirm. I noticed this because on services which commence at Bristol Parkway and is shown in the column header as such has a time inserted alongside Filton Abbey Wood but with Bristol Parkway listed on the next line on the timetable no time is shown.

OH DEAR 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 19:33:15 by martyjon » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 22:06:40 »

Just looked at the online TT for services from Yate and there is a major error on the draft issue.

The stations listiing has Filton Abbey Wood and Bristol Parkway tranposed and thus on services TO Yate from Bristol whilst the Filton Abbey Wood time is shown no services are shown as stopping at Bristol Parkway. In the opposite direction services are shown as calling at Bristol Parkway but not shown as calling at Filton Abbey Wood.

Thats how I read the timetable, anyone confirm. I noticed this because on services which commence at Bristol Parkway and is shown in the column header as such has a time inserted alongside Filton Abbey Wood but with Bristol Parkway listed on the next line on the timetable no time is shown.

OH DEAR 
Yes I thought something was a miss there too. Surely all local trains that start/terminate and Bristol Parkway will also call at Filton as these were services that used to terminate there.

Main problem is that you are trying to squeeze too many timetables into one timetable and makes it more likely that mistakes will be made. This timetable is far too busy since combined all the cross Bristol services from start to finish of their journeys and needs splitting up in the format that Wessex produced their timetables.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 22:59:54 »

No problem with the timetable format and the combination of all the services into one combined table provided FGW (First Great Western) can get it right which by their performance over the past ten months they don't seem to be able to do. The current FGW Timetable booklet E is of a similar format. The differences to the current timetable E is to incorporate the Swindon - Gloucester services, Heart of Wessex Line / Weymouth services, services on the Severn Beach line, the Melksham services and the Brighton and intermediate stations Fareham to Brighton into this draft version although I did notice one station which is omitted whether by accident or design, that station being Tiverton Parkway. I think this may be to combine all of services under the jurisdiction of Andrew Griffiths into one table.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 17:12:03 »

All of time timetables are currently as they would be in the Natioanl Rail TT which is generally more crowded. I would expect the current timetable E to stay as it is.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 17:17:56 »

All of time timetables are currently as they would be in the Natioanl Rail TT which is generally more crowded. I would expect the current timetable E to stay as it is.
Not quite Liam, Cardiff-Portsmouth/Weymouth/Brighton is a seperate TT (123) and Taunton-Bristol-Gloucester is the second TT (134) in the National Rail TT that make up the current FGW (First Great Western) timetable E book, I would prefer them to be separate but I think im in the minority on this one  Sad
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 18:14:34 »

I'm all in all quite happy with the changes. Quite a lot has been recovered from the mess ups last year

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
paulsouthwales

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 18:07:17 »

the weekend cardiff/gloucester - taunton/pompey timetable are STILL NOT online.  even with several emails to FGW (First Great Western) they say there is no info available!  this is five/six weeks to the start of the Dec 07 TT.  whilst they say its not available, what happens to t-12?  !!!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: