10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:24 Taunton to London Paddington
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 08:52:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] A daily picture from my recent travels
[78] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[68] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[66] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[55] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[35] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Weymouth Harbour railway line - merged topic, ongoing discussion  (Read 26564 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 18:18:54 »

In view of some renewed interest in this particular set of rails, in discussions on the Coffee Shop forum, I've now moved and merged a couple of threads here.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 13:35:05 »

A one off (for now at least) return for me, purely because I happen to be on site right now.

No trains have run to Weymouth Quay since the late 1990s, which is obviously an awfully long time ago now. If someone were to try and organise a theoretical railtour to Weymouth Quay in the present day late 2010s, can those with knowledge of these things give an idea of what would need to be done to make it feasible?

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 13:39:15 »

I think this would have been done by the railtour companies by now if it were at all possible.

I understand that current H&S (Health and Safety) rules won't allow it, and nor would NR» (Network Rail - home page).
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 13:59:03 »

I do not think is will ever see trains again. This link may be of interest

http://www.rail.co.uk/rail-news/2016/weymouth-quay-line/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 14:01:44 »

A one off (for now at least) return for me, purely because I happen to be on site right now.

No trains have run to Weymouth Quay since the late 1990s, which is obviously an awfully long time ago now. If someone were to try and organise a theoretical railtour to Weymouth Quay in the present day late 2010s, can those with knowledge of these things give an idea of what would need to be done to make it feasible?

PARTIAL data, Lee ... to start you off

a) The Quay station has (or had when I was there) a fence / vertical post for a fence right on the platform at about the north end of the building which would need to be removed if you wanted to get more that about 1 carriage into the platform

b) There is significant undergrowth on the track where it leads onto railway land just to the west of the main Weymouth station; how much is just summer growth and how much would need to be cut back, I don't know

c) I think I read that the state of the sleepers / ties under the road surface in the area alongside the quays where points use to be is poor - may be so poor that they would not support a train.

Knowing all the H&S (Health and Safety) issues with heavy rail, perhaps a lightweight diesel or petrol tram brought in on a low loader .... driver up front, trips between the little 'island' area that's off the main road near the bus garage and the north end of the quay station?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2017, 14:59:05 »

As far as I can tell from the current online sectional appendix, dated June 2017, the first part of the branch is (although overgrown) is theoretically open as a siding, from 168 m 31 ch, to the point at 168 m 52 ch, say a quarter mile. That puts the railway operational boundary right at the road crossing behind B&Q.  Depending on how you measure it the boundary might even be the south side of that road, hence including the 'crossing'.   

However beyond that point the tramway is declared permanently out of use, and no longer included in the track line drawing.  I reckon they ought to get on and finalise the full closure.

Paul
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2017, 16:55:13 »

Wow. Somewhere on the yootoobz I've seen a video which shows this:
It was common for carelessly parked cars to be bounced away from the tracks when the occasional boat-train operated.
But I don't recall it showing either this:
The train, after going across Melcombe Regis level crossing ran through streets following a railwayman walking in front of the train carrying a red flag.
or this:
Passenger and freight trains were hauled by small tank engines through the streets and the engines had a large bell on the buffer beam which was rung by the footplate crew to warn road users that a train was approaching!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2017, 17:28:05 »

This gives more detail and indicates the line south of the road now belongs to the Borough Council. There is a very strong cycling lobby asking for the removal of the rails since bikes get stuck in the gap between the rail and guard rail.

http://www.island-publishing.co.uk/quaybrch.htm

John Lucking's 1986 book on the Weymouth tramway is full of photos.

Documents in the National Archive indicate that the first scheme for a tramway went from the station to the esplanade and down the front by the sea all the way to the pier! It was rejected unsurprisingly.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2017, 17:29:32 »

There is a sort campaign to keep it open:
https://www.change.org/p/weymouth-weymouth-quay-heritage-railway
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2017, 18:22:36 »

It was common for carelessly parked cars to be bounced away from the tracks when the occasional boat-train operated.
But I don't recall it showing either this:
The train, after going across Melcombe Regis level crossing ran through streets following a railwayman walking in front of the train carrying a red flag

Yes, I travelled behind a loco & coach set a couple of times when it still ran, and can recall this....

or this:
Passenger and freight trains were hauled by small tank engines through the streets and the engines had a large bell on the buffer beam which was rung by the footplate crew to warn road users that a train was approaching!

No, maybe in steam days?
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2017, 18:35:26 »

There is a large selection of images on Google-search Weymouth tramway. Some show the men walking in front of the train.

There was a summer timetabled service in the 1990s using a 37/4 laying over from the normal service. An airline style meal was served on the journey to Yeovil Pen Mill where the train stopped, then returning to Weymouth station.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2017, 23:18:10 »

In view of some renewed interest in this particular set of rails, in discussions on the Coffee Shop forum, I've now moved and merged a couple of threads here.  Smiley

... and I've just done the same, again, in the interests of clarity and completeness.  Wink Cheesy Grin

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 23:25:10 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2017, 00:15:40 »

No, maybe in steam days?

Picture here showing said bell on the front of a class 33:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weymouth_Harbour_Tramway#/media/File%3A33109_Weymouth_Harbour_Tramway_August_1981.jpg
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2017, 21:58:43 »

Like this video?

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2017, 21:03:37 »

I think that's the very one I've seen.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: