Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:21:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[171] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[66] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[52] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[41] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Very long term - where will Bristol Suburban trains be?  (Read 10531 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2018, 14:06:16 »

BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) - Bristol Temple Meads. Not BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)).

I appreciate that the canonical code for Bristol Temple Meads is BRI, and thats the rail industry standard, but the wider public standard for abbreviations and acronyms is to take the first letter of each word and use that.   Of course, that could be harmfully confusing if the resultant abbreviation was a valid station code, but in this case it's not.

You could indeed argue that BRI is a vey poor public abbreviation for Bristol Temple Meads, as in a different context people would feel it equally applies to Bristol Temple Meads, Bristol Parkway, Bridlington and Brixton.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2018, 15:12:33 »

You want consistency and accuracy or not? Whether there is confusion in this case is moot. If three letter codes are to be used then surely its important that the correct industry standard ones are used. Otherwise the next time I go to Birmingham and explain the ticket loophole I'm using to save money I can add confusion by referring to my destination as BNS (Barnes (not Birmingham New Street)). Then a walk to BMS or BSH for onward travel.

What about the request that short codes are explained the first time they are used in a thread/post?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 15:18:20 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2018, 16:42:53 »

BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) - Bristol Parkway
BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) - Bristol Temple Meads. Not BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)).

Sorry I used the wrong code, I was thinking about my next Easyjet flight from BRI (the airport) or is it BRS (Business Rates Supplement), somewhere I got it written down that BRI or was it BRS was for internal flights or was it international flights but now it standardised as BRS or is it BRI but when we 'ere in Brizzle we refer to BRI as the Bristol Royal Infirmary.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2018, 16:51:08 »

I appreciate that the canonical code for Bristol Temple Meads is BRI, and thats the rail industry standard, but the wider public standard for abbreviations and acronyms is to take the first letter of each word and use that.   Of course, that could be harmfully confusing if the resultant abbreviation was a valid station code, but in this case it's not.

You could indeed argue that BRI is a vey poor public abbreviation for Bristol Temple Meads, as in a different context people would feel it equally applies to Bristol Temple Meads, Bristol Parkway, Bridlington and Brixton.

Brixham anyone.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2018, 18:46:24 »

You want consistency and accuracy or not? Whether there is confusion in this case is moot. ...

Yes - "of course" - putting words into the mouth of the admin and moderator team, but I think I'm on safe ground, we would like to see consistency and accuracy.  Except it's not quite that simple, is it?  

We run a forum that's a friendly place, where posters are welcomed even if they're not 100% in-the-know on the technical stuff on which they post to be 100% accurate with station, Tiploc (Timing Point Location), airport, train, coach, ticket code.  We don't mind a few spilling mistooks - indeed if we did, I would have been banned years ago. And we certainly don't want to have a place that has such an aura of accuracy that newcomers are put off posting, and established hands think to themselves "do I really want to bother?"

Where a post does end up being misleading / confusing (you cite an example of Barnes, Bushey and Bromley South), then of course the balance is probably towards correcting it, typically via a gentle message to the original poster from the moderator / admin team, or a subtle reply that clarifies what was said in context.  If you feel that the team hasn't noticed something, you have a notify button through which we can be alerted, or you can use the personal message system to one of us.    We appreciate hearing such things where members think there's good cause, though (and it has never happened in my memory) harassing the team though over-reporting would be a different problem.  It's all about balance. 

What about the request that short codes are explained the first time they are used in a thread/post?

Indeed, and perfectly valid request, but only that.  Trumped by a requirement not to harass people / post in such a way that they feel threatened which (alas) is all too easy to do.  We work hard here to make this a friendly place, as well as being a place where we've built up an accurate archive.   Hope we have the balance right - accuracy of archive is no good if the place is so unforgiving in the first place that no-one dares post.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 19:01:15 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2018, 19:08:30 »

As this is a somewhat unjoined issue, I have edited my previous post to bring it up as a separate comment

New topic, but still relating to your post ... noting your public strap line:

Publicly accused. No opportunity to defend myself

I took a look at your posts over the past couple of days, and beyond a difference of opinion as to whether "sh*t", "go*n" and "b*stard" used about a member of operational staff was used in a context that was a personal attack on him, I can't see anything that our team or members hear might have said to cause you upset, nor anywhere we have locked threads or prevented you from writing "in your own defence".    Your strap line is public - indeed it looks like a public accusation and probably against "authority" here; please offer us an opportunity to defend ourselves by letting us know what your issue is, or making it very clear that the comment does not relate to this place. 

metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2018, 21:06:44 »

.... a full loop service is much harder to timetable than a series of branch lines - at least, much was made of the difficulty of finding paths both at Narroways and also at the Filton Diamond that would turn into a full loop timetable without too much trainset time wasted ....

But that was too hard under a two tracked Filton Bank but we are getting a four tracked Filton Bank and one of the benefits for approving the four tracking was to enable a rail service to be restored on the Henbury Loop.

Indeed, and that's the concern for us living in North East Bristol...  without the loop option we're literally cut off from direct services to the whole of the SVB line.  Our nearest local convenient station either by bus or to use as a park and ride is BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains).  With a Henbury spur, the only access for us to CFN (Clifton Down station) - for example which a mate of mine wanted to use as a much easier commute for him once the loop opening was completed - is to get a train south from BPW and change at BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) or SRD and wait for a train back up the SVB line, which is obviously not a viable option.  The same goes for anyone travelling from YAE

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2018, 07:25:24 »

The Filton Diamond is a very interesting planning and timetabling issue - with six possible routes for trains (twelve if you count each way separate) through it.  On each of four arrival lines you have three departure directions.   Which ones to serve?    Serve them all and you thin out services, perhaps to the extent you put people off using the train?

Even on a triangle junction you have the same issue - three entrances, two exits and do you want to run passenger trains around all sides, at the risk of them being too thin to be useful, or leave one side out and make for connections?  I'm minded of the discussion we have going on in another thread about Newport;  with 1 train per hour from Ebbw Vale, it probably makes sense to have a single route (Cardiff has been chosen), but with 2, one to Cardiff and one to Newport seems to be more sensible - bearing in mind that a change at Newport would provide a good connection to Cardiff seeing as trains are quite frequent on the main line.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 07:37:33 by grahame » Logged

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2018, 08:58:07 »

I took a look at your posts over the past couple of days, and beyond a difference of opinion as to whether "sh*t", "go*n" and "b*stard" used about a member of operational staff was used in a context that was a personal attack on him, I can't see anything that our team or members hear might have said to cause you upset, nor anywhere we have locked threads or prevented you from writing "in your own defence".    Your strap line is public - indeed it looks like a public accusation and probably against "authority" here; please offer us an opportunity to defend ourselves by letting us know what your issue is, or making it very clear that the comment does not relate to this place. 

You may very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: