23:22 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:34 Reading to Basingstoke
02/05/24 00:05 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 00:24:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[136] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[70] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[46] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[45] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] [otd] 20.10.1979 - First meeting, Guild of Railway Artists

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tiverton Parkway  (Read 12099 times)
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 22, 2010, 16:29:37 »

Just wondering whether anybody on here who uses Tiverton Parkway regularly feels there needs to be improvement to services at this station both train and bus wise?

Looking at the bus timetable against the train timetable - not one of the direct services from Paddington meets up with a bus to Tiverton at TVP, you either miss the bus by a few minutes and have to wait nearly an hour, or at least half an hour and I think it's a similar story if you're coming from Tiverton town centre to TVP. I know that Exeter is most probably better served by buses, but not everyone wants to travel from Exeter.

It seems people arriving at TVP on Cross Country services might being better served than those who have come on FGW (First Great Western) services (ie less time to wait), it would be interesting to see some sort of figures as to whether the bus service at TVP is more used by Cross Country than FGW passengers.

Also, would there be any call for the Night Riviera service to stop at TVP? At the moment, the earliest one can get to TVP direct from London is 10:50, perhaps they should trial stopping the night service at TVP?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 18:42:37 »

Also, would there be any call for the Night Riviera service to stop at TVP? At the moment, the earliest one can get to TVP direct from London is 10:50, perhaps they should trial stopping the night service at TVP?

Can't imagine FGW (First Great Western) wanting to staff Tiverton 24hrs!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 18:51:21 »

.....and with TVP being somewhat in the sticks not very practical for passengers without a pick-up/drop off arranged to get to/from the station.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 22:07:50 »

And given some of the routes used by the sleeper don't pass Tiverton Parkway then FGW (First Great Western) would not want the hassle of laying on replacement bus services.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 22:31:44 »

Not to mention the very unsociable pick up/drop off timings.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 09:30:20 »

I agree there's not much reason to stop the sleeper at TVP. for teh reasons given.

However, I am more concerned regarding the bus connections from the station to Tiverton.

Can anyone give me one good reason why the buses don't connect properly with the trains. Apart for the obvious one that DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about) doesn't allow it because buses have compete with trains and you can't have an integrated public transport system.

DaFT would far rather you used your car or got a lift in a car  to get to TVP.
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 09:32:31 »

Does it have to be staffed 24 hours? It seems to operate perfectly well when unstaffed after 21:00 in the evenings, it has even been unstaffed during the day once or twice when the station building closed early due to staff shortage, but trains still stopped - you don't have to walk through the station building to exit the station.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 10:13:08 »

I agree there's not much reason to stop the sleeper at TVP. for teh reasons given.

However, I am more concerned regarding the bus connections from the station to Tiverton.

Can anyone give me one good reason why the buses don't connect properly with the trains. Apart for the obvious one that DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about) doesn't allow it because buses have compete with trains and you can't have an integrated public transport system.

DaFT would far rather you used your car or got a lift in a car  to get to TVP.

There are 78 train services calling at TVP on weekdays with an hourly bus service in each direction; toward Exeter for Uffculme, Willand, Collumpton and toward Tiverton for Sampford Peverell and Tiverton. So those buses have a good chance of connecting with a train, just maybe not the one James wants!

It does seem a little mad that the first available bus from Tiverton bus station to Tiverton Parkway is scheduled to arrive at 0657 with an all shacks via Bristol London bound train departing at 0658. Although if London is where you're headed then take the next bus an connect comfortably with the 0757 CrossCountry, same platform change onto a FGW (First Great Western) HST (High Speed Train) at Taunton and be in London 12 mins earlier than the direct service. Not ideal, but until we have truly integrated transport it's up to the passenger to find the workarounds.

Oh, and also the cynic in me asks, why would Stagecoach want to connect their buses with First Great Western? Connect with the Exeter bound services and get passengers onto SWT (South West Trains) services to London!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 11:57:51 »

Does it have to be staffed 24 hours? It seems to operate perfectly well when unstaffed after 21:00 in the evenings, it has even been unstaffed during the day once or twice when the station building closed early due to staff shortage, but trains still stopped - you don't have to walk through the station building to exit the station.

The dispatcher works longer hours I believe.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 12:18:08 »

I've been to Banstaple a few times and the thing about Banstaple is that coming from the east it is much quicker to get the train to Tiverton and then be met by car for the journey to Barnstaple by road.  Many of the cars at the overfull P&R (Park and Ride) will be from Barnstaple.  However, IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), there is a decent express bus from Tiverton to Barnstaple.  Extending this bus to the station would give much better access to the railway for journeys West and if the first bus of the day connected with the train at Tiverton, a decent am arival time in London would be possible, earlier than catching the first am train out of Barnstaple and cheaper I assume to implement than staffing the branch line an hour earlier. 

I am not an expert on this area but it does seem that better bus/tain coordination could improve acess to a part of North Devon in need of economic development at low cost.

When visiting friends in Barnstaple (from Bath) my first though is to drive.  That woudl change if I could catch a train to Tiverton and connect to a fast bus, but having to go via Exeter, just tips teh balance away from public transport
Feckham

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 13:07:27 »

I've been to Banstaple a few times and the thing about Banstaple is that coming from the east it is much quicker to get the train to Tiverton and then be met by car for the journey to Barnstaple by road.  Many of the cars at the overfull P&R (Park and Ride) will be from Barnstaple.  However, IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), there is a decent express bus from Tiverton to Barnstaple.  Extending this bus to the station would give much better access to the railway for journeys West and if the first bus of the day connected with the train at Tiverton, a decent am arival time in London would be possible, earlier than catching the first am train out of Barnstaple and cheaper I assume to implement than staffing the branch line an hour earlier. 

I am not an expert on this area but it does seem that better bus/tain coordination could improve acess to a part of North Devon in need of economic development at low cost.

When visiting friends in Barnstaple (from Bath) my first though is to drive.  That woudl change if I could catch a train to Tiverton and connect to a fast bus, but having to go via Exeter, just tips teh balance away from public transport

I'm sure that if you do a comparison on fares to/from TVP -v- BNP (Barnstaple), usually going all the way to BNP will be the most cost effective - albeit not so many connection opportunities on the Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) line. 

signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 07:36:36 »

Trains - First

Buses - Stagecoach

or is that too simplistic?

EDIT  Should have read posts above properly Sorry!

« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 07:43:01 by signalandtelegraph » Logged

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 14:05:13 »

Honiton :

trains stagecoach
bus stagecoach

the look on peoples faces when they see their connecting bus drive away just as the doors on the train open, priceless!
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 12:46:04 »

I'd agree here, at the moment if I travel by train to Tiverton and then need to get a bus to our house in Devon, I have to get the 1 at TVP to Phoenix Lane and then wait a little while for the 155 (as lovely a town as Tiverton is, it can get a bit boring waiting!) - of course both these routes are Stagecoach run*.

When I go to visit my girlfriend in Bovey Tracey the bus connections from NTA» (Newton Abbott - next trains) station are much better and they're pretty much all Stagecoach run - they even have services on Sunday in that part of Devon!

* 155 runs between Barnstaple & Exeter via Tiverton (Phoenix Lane) & South Molton - the route used to be run by First as the 346 between Barnstaple & Tiverton (Phoenix Lane)
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 14:11:42 »

When I go to visit my girlfriend in Bovey Tracey the bus connections from NTA» (Newton Abbott - next trains) station are much better and they're pretty much all Stagecoach run - they even have services on Sunday in that part of Devon!
However the 39 doesn't run from Newton Abbot station, has a poor hourly frequency and doesn't run after 8 PM.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: