I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:45:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 50
  Print  
Author Topic: New Customer Information Systems  (Read 229523 times)
Louis94

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2010, 23:00:35 »

Hey,

Does anyone know what I can expect when the new customer information systems are installed at FGW (First Great Western) stations (New departure screens, etc?), and will it be exactly the same as at Slough and Oxford, or is it going to be totally different?

Also just to let anyone know who is interested, have heard Teignmouth is due its new system between mid august and beginning of september!

Cheers Louis  Smiley
TheLastMinute

This really isn't worth reading.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 02:13:26 »

Whenever it is, it can't be soon enough. Travelling from Nailsea to Bristol TM(resolve) on Friday mid-morning, the CIS (Customer Information System) at both stations wasn't working. Both the Great Western and Wales & West systems are showing their age and becoming increasing unreliable and I believe that all the different systems are going to be replaced across all FGW (First Great Western) stations.

There's a good mock-up of the CIS, CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) and help point system that's going to be installed at Yatton in the listed building consent application which is available to view here (CIS & CCTV) and here (help points). In summary, FGW are planning to rip out the existing CRT(resolve) screens on P1, P2 and the booking office and each replace them each with a TFT Departure Board plus there will be a 3-line Next Train Indicator on each platform and a Induction Loop for hearing aid users on P2. The CCTV cameras will also be replaced and some additional cameras fitted, including some dummy housing fixtures which the planning application (rather helpfully to some, no doubt) details!

Cheers,
Mike
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 02:40:00 »

Now, I thought this almost unbelievable - but Mike is quite right: those planning applications actually include specific details of the exact location(s) of the dummy camera(s).

Words fail me.

C.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 02:46:27 »

Well, lets hope they don't compound the situation by doing this:

Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 10:37:25 »

Whenever it is, it can't be soon enough. Travelling from Nailsea to Bristol TM(resolve) on Friday mid-morning, the CIS (Customer Information System) at both stations wasn't working. Both the Great Western and Wales & West systems are showing their age and becoming increasing unreliable and I believe that all the different systems are going to be replaced across all FGW (First Great Western) stations.

There's a good mock-up of the CIS, CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) and help point system that's going to be installed at Yatton in the listed building consent application which is available to view here (CIS & CCTV) and here (help points). In summary, FGW are planning to rip out the existing CRT(resolve) screens on P1, P2 and the booking office and each replace them each with a TFT Departure Board plus there will be a 3-line Next Train Indicator on each platform and a Induction Loop for hearing aid users on P2. The CCTV cameras will also be replaced and some additional cameras fitted, including some dummy housing fixtures which the planning application (rather helpfully to some, no doubt) details!

Cheers,
Mike

Very interesting documents there Mike! Thanks very much for sharing them! Does shed some light on what I can expect at stations with the new system fitted!

It could not come soon enough down here too! The system down here is as useful as a chocolate fire guard  Roll Eyes
Nibat

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 19:51:37 »

I don't know the exact dates, really.  The only thing I know is that every single station must be done by the end of the year.

For what I've been told by one of the managers involved in the project, Telent is now delivering the projects for every station and FGW (First Great Western) is signing them off.  Planning application should have gone through by now, it could be some case with permission rejected, but I'd be very surprised if that's the case.

For what I heard, Dawlish will have one departures board on each platform, 2 3-line indicators on the up platform and 1 on the down.  Should be 1 or 2 boads downstair in the ticket hall area, but not sure where.  And hopefully will add some computer with TRUST (Train Running System TOPS) in the platform office.

CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) was originally included in the project, but I was told that due to money issues it's not decided which stations will have it replaced or installed, if any...

And see if anybody can guess the answer: do you know how much each helpoint costs???
TheLastMinute

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 21:02:12 »

As it happens, a listed building consent application has been made for Dawlish - the plans for the CIS (Customer Information System) are here and for the help points here. Basicly, it's a 3-line Next Train Indicator for each platform and a departure screen for Platform 2, in ticket hall and another in the ticket office. In addition there is a 2 button help point on each platform. As Nibat said, no details of any CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) changes & as CCTV is

Cheers,
TLM
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 21:17:26 »

As it happens, a listed building consent application has been made for Dawlish - the plans for the CIS (Customer Information System) are here and for the help points here. Basicly, it's a 3-line Next Train Indicator for each platform and a departure screen for Platform 2, in ticket hall and another in the ticket office. In addition there is a 2 button help point on each platform. As Nibat said, no details of any CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) changes & as CCTV is

Cheers,
TLM

Thanks for the links to those documents
Any idea, who the announcements are due to be provided by? Will it be the same as at Slough/Oxford or will it be the same as at Paddington?

Cheers
Louis
TheLastMinute

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 22:25:29 »

According to the press release issued by the contractor Telent it's going to be Atos Origin's CIS (Customer Information System) software as used by South West Trains. How that compares to the existing systems at the stations you mention, I don't know but the systems at Slough and Oxford should be replaced - a major aim of the project is to have the same system across the FGW (First Great Western) network.

Cheers,
TLM
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 22:32:01 »

According to the press release issued by the contractor Telent it's going to be Atos Origin's CIS (Customer Information System) software as used by South West Trains. How that compares to the existing systems at the stations you mention, I don't know but the systems at Slough and Oxford should be replaced - a major aim of the project is to have the same system across the FGW (First Great Western) network.

Cheers,
TLM

But Slough and Oxford have recently just had a new system, exactly the same of what appears to be going in at other FGW stations.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 22:41:37 »

Slough and Oxford were the trial stations as far as I know, the CIS (Customer Information System) at stations should be the same as Slough and Oxford unless this has changed since I last saw anything about it.
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 23:20:19 »

Slough and Oxford were the trial stations as far as I know, the CIS (Customer Information System) at stations should be the same as Slough and Oxford unless this has changed since I last saw anything about it.

That was my understanding aswell! Hope it has not changed since then, The trial systems there were a big step up from the old ones!
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 00:22:10 »

And see if anybody can guess the answer: do you know how much each helpoint costs???

^10,500

TheLastMinute

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 01:14:42 »

I assume that's the version seen here with the inbuilt departure screen rather than the standard two button versions? I think I read somewhere (but can't remember where) that these are to go into the larger small stations without a CIS (Customer Information System) e.g. Clifton Down. To be fair, I would think that these units would cost a lot less than installing a full CIS and still give a good level of functionality.

Cheers,
Mike
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 01:40:54 »

Stations on the SVB Line have been kitted out with these CIS (Customer Information System) for some months now. A couple were stolen soon after installation though!!!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 50
  Print  

Jump to: