Train RunningCancelled
11:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
13:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 13:34:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[181] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[96] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[91] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[81] Death of another bus station?
[56] tram/rail meet up
[48] You see all sorts on the bus.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Revised Bus-Link at Nailsea & Backwell  (Read 17939 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 22:49:02 »

Whilst there may not be parking restrictions, there is still the possibility that an offence is being committed. Under Section 137 of the Highways Act 1980, it is a criminal offence 'without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway.'

There's also a much older common law offence. Under Section 28 of the Town Police Clauses Act 1847, it is 'an offence to obstruct the street to the distraction, annoyance or danger of residents or passengers.'

If I could be pedantic for a moment.  If it is under Section 28 of the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 (wonderful piece of legislation), then surely it is Statute Law not Common Law.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2013, 22:51:16 »

Ah!  You got there before me, ellendune: I'd just sent bignosemac a PM, gently pointing out that distinction.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2013, 23:13:41 »

Thanks peeps. I got a bit confused after reading some case law regarding obstruction of the highway. The Town Police Clause Act 1847 is of course statute.

It is a wonderful piece of legislation, I agree. Without wishing to divert the topic too much, some other offences are:

Every person who in any street, to the obstruction, annoyance, or danger of the residents or passengers, commits any of the following offences:
  • Every person who wilfully and wantonly disturbs any inhabitant, by pulling or ringing any door bell, or knocking at any door, or who wilfully and unlawfully extinguishes the light of any lamp
  • Every person who flies any kite, or who makes or uses any slide upon ice or snow
  • Every person who beats or shakes any carpet, rug, or mat (except door mats, beaten or shaken before the hour of eight in the morning)
  • Every person who fixes or places any flower-pot or box, or other heavy article, in any upper window, without sufficiently guarding the same against being blown down

From that, it would appear that my childhood playing of Knock, Knock, Ginger could have landed me in the slammer for up to 14 days.  Shocked Grin
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 23:27:10 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2013, 23:18:26 »

Thanks for that, bignosemac!  Wink Cheesy Grin

There is also an interesting legal question as to whether the Town Police Clauses Act of 1847 actually applies within Nailsea:

1 Extent of Act.

This Act shall extend only to such towns or districts in England or Ireland as shall be comprised in any Act of Parliament hereafter to be passed which shall declare that this Act shall be incorporated therewith; and all the clauses of this Act, save so far as they shall be expressly varied or excepted by any such Act, shall apply to the town or district which shall be comprised in such Act, and to the commissioners appointed for improving and regulating the same, so far as such clauses shall be applicable thereto respectively, and shall, with the clauses of every other Act which shall be incorporated therewith, form part of such Act, and be construed therewith as forming one Act.

Undecided

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2013, 00:18:22 »

The Offences Against the Person Act 1861 has some rather unusual offences in it still as well including:
s17. Impeding a person endeavouring to save himself from a shipwreck.
s36. Obstructing or assaulting a clergyman or other minister in the discharge of his duties.

There's also the rather relevant s32, 33 and 34 which are placing wood on the railway, casting stones on a railway carriage and doing anything to endanger the railway respectively. In a 1996 case two defendants were convicted to four years imprisonment for throwing stones at a railway carriage, but the offence carries a potential maximum of life imprisonment.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: