Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:17:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Revised Bus-Link at Nailsea & Backwell  (Read 17607 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: August 18, 2008, 22:53:09 »

"Two new weekday bus services have been launched in Nailsea and Backwell by North Somerset Coaches.

One is an all-day service linking the two towns via the railway station and is timed to arrive at the station shortly before trains leave for Bristol and Weston.

The other is a Nailsea town circular service, operating hourly during the mornings only, from Monday to Friday."

For full details, see http://www.thisisclevedon.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=223432&command=displayContent&sourceNode=224133&contentPK=21285933&folderPk=104742&pNodeId=224152

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 22:57:10 »

One is an all-day service linking the two towns via the railway station and is timed to arrive at the station shortly before trains leave for Bristol and Weston.

Excellent stuff  Smiley

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
John R

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 20:48:00 »

Shame hardly anyone uses the new services. Even the peak commuter ones (which do wait for the services from Bristol to arrive) only have 2 or 3 people on them. I can't see it lasting.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 22:48:44 »

I agree with John R - the bus does indeed wait patiently at our station in the evening, but only one or two people use it.  I might, if it was raining heavily, but otherwise I'd prefer to walk - I live only ten minutes walk away.

I get the impression that those who persist in driving to the station live further away from the bus route - so it continues to make sense for them to drive, rather than catch the bus and still have a ten minute walk from their nearest stop?

To be fair, there is also a commendable number of people who cycle to the station - perhaps an extension to the perspex cycle shelter, with increased (and more secure) parking for cycles, would be an improvement?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

John R

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 20:03:36 »

At Nailsea & Backwell station, we have an excellent bus service, provided by a bus company unconnected with FGW (First Great Western), where the bus timetable is linked to the train timetable - and the bus waits (within reason) if a train is running late!

But does anyone use it? I've never seen more than 1 or 2 pax on it.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 20:17:12 »

To be brutally honest, John: neither have I.

I think the fact that it turns left down Queens Road, rather than right down Trendlewood Way, on its way into Nailsea town centre, is part of the reason for that - it's not running the route most potential passengers want?

It's a commendable initiative - but I'm not sure it's commercially viable.  Even less so, if we get all those additional car parking spaces in the station car park?

On the other hand: we could then perhaps re-brand our station as Portishead Parkway?  Roll Eyes

The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 20:47:19 »

To be brutally honest, John: neither have I.

I think the fact that it turns left down Queens Road, rather than right down Trendlewood Way, on its way into Nailsea town centre, is part of the reason for that - it's not running the route most potential passengers want?

It's a commendable initiative - but I'm not sure it's commercially viable.  Even less so, if we get all those additional car parking spaces in the station car park?

On the other hand: we could then perhaps re-brand our station as Portishead Parkway?  Roll Eyes

If the operator your talking about is North Somerset Coaches I suggest you contact their manager (who is known to me) I think you will find he is quite an ameanable chap and would be quite prepared to discuss any suitable changes to routes that increase custom, provided it can run without increasing the fleet size to maintain the service intervals or sends buses down unsuitable roads.

Trundling gently round the SW
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 20:55:52 »

Thanks, TheSprinterMeister!

To be fair, since I posted that comment last year, the route has been revised, and North Somerset Coaches do indeed now run past my back garden!  Grin

NSCoaches

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 14:02:34 »

Hello, we've just joined the forum here... any comments or suggestions about the Nailsea Bus-Link will be welcome, and if we can make any improvements to attract more users then please let us know. David, North Somerset Coaches.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 18:49:59 »

Hello, David - and a very warm welcome to the forum!  Smiley

I'm probably going to be embarrassed by some of my previous comments now.  Embarrassed

NSCoaches

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 10:28:10 »

Thanks for the welcome, and it is interesting to know what people think of the service we provide. It is hard providing an "integrated" service that actually works! We still have occasional hiccups but I think the connections usually work, and the drivers hang on the promised extra 5 minutes (10 on last bus) if trains are late. If it doesn't happen, I need to know!

We have thought about changing the route to serve Trendlewood - as more people seem to come from that side of town - but haven't yet for two reasons: 1) Risk of losing the people we already have from Kingshill and 2) First have run half-hourly 364s from the Station to Trendlewood - so it seemed sensible for us to provide something different.

However, from 6th April 364 is replaced by an hourly 362 via Long Ashton village - and stays hourly through the afternoon peak (loss of four PM peak journeys). We have a new Express service from Nailsea to Bristol starting on the same date, and may consider in due course changing the 2A to run via Trendlewood to Link Road, and back to the station via Kingshill. Comments on that proposal are most welcome!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 23:42:58 »

Dave

Slightly off topic, but thanks for operating your special services yesterday. The family really enjoyed the journey in a 1948 vintage bus, and although I'm not quite that old, it brought back memories of travelling to school on buses with crash gear boxes that did well to climb hills at 10mph.  I hope you raised lots for charity and repeat it next year.

In answer to your question, I'm not sure I have any suggestions. I suspect a lot of people are put off buses as they are perceived to be unreliable  (due to traffic) and they couldn't guarantee to make the train connection. I'm sure that isn't the case around N&B, so maybe a targetted mailshot of a week's trial at a nominal cost might persuade people to try the service. If they discover that it is in fact reliable then they could be persuaded to become regular customers.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 23:55:12 »

Thanks from me, too, Dave!

Driving into Nailsea yesterday, I was rather startled to see a green vintage bus, on its way down towards Backwell - unfortunately, I hadn't heard about that special service, so thanks to John R for posting here to explain it!

I agree with John, too: a mailshot could well benefit the excellent regular station bus service.

Regards, Chris.  Smiley

NSCoaches

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 13:00:23 »

Advance Information for Nailsea commuters- we are changing our rail-link services from 30th August...

The new routes will be half-hourly in both peaks.
2A becomes the afternoon (anti-clockwise) circular, Station to Station via Trendlewood Way, Lodge Lane, Stock Way, Silver Street, Hannah More Road and Whiteoak Way
2C becomes the morning (clock-wise) circular, Station to Station via Whiteoak Way, Hannah More Road, Silver Street, Link Road, Lodge Lane and Trendlewood Way.

There will be a new extra evening journey at 1842 to connect out of the 1630 HST (High Speed Train) from Paddington (and local DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) 1825 ex.Temple Meads)

Afternoon times will be xx12 and xx42, and buses will still wait up to 5 minutes (10 on the last journey) for delayed trains.

Also due in the autumn is (at long last!) a new bus shelter for the Nailsea-side bus stop.

Timetables will be available on our website (www.northsomersetcoaches.co.uk) shortly or you can request one by email (sales@northsomersetcoaches.co.uk).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 14:31:40 »

Nice to see a bus operator planning their timetable around train arrival times with a bit of leeway for late running services. Good work North Somerset Coaches!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: