Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:31:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'As new' ^7.5m upgrade to Arriva Trains Wales fleet (BBC News 02/08/2010)  (Read 8090 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2010, 15:24:25 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

A ^7.5m upgrade of trains on mainline routes from Wales has been announced. The investment to Arriva Trains Wales will take place over 18 months, with the latest stage of work on the trains due to start in December. It includes new seating, luggage areas and toilets, aiming to bring "as new" interiors to old carriages.

"We hope these refurbishments will get more people out of their cars and on to our trains," said Transport Minister Ieuan Wyn Jones. "There is strong growth in the number of people travelling on train services in Wales and we are investing in these improvements to make people's journeys more comfortable and more enjoyable."

Mr Jones said the investment was building on improvements to stations.

Arriva Trains Wales commercial director Mike Bagshaw said it would help deliver "a step change in quality" and benefit millions of passengers travelling on main line routes. The aim is to provide "as new" interiors on existing carriages.

He told BBC Wales the improvements would include power sockets at some seats on longer routes, enabling people to work on laptops during their journey, and extra luggage room.

The announcement will also help improve wheelchair access on services.

"We've been investing in the fleet in the Valley Lines trains. It's now time to turn the attention to the mainline fleet," Mr Bagshaw said. "Two trains have already been refurbished. We are taking one train out [at a time and] there will be no disruption to passengers while it goes on."

Asked why the company was receiving funding from the assembly government for the work, he added: "We are a subsidised business, therefore we do require a subsidy from the Welsh Assembly Government."

The investment will involve the company's 24-strong class 158 Sprinter fleet of trains, including routes from south, mid and north Wales. It will also go towards the class 153 Sprinter fleet, where work has already started at Arriva Trains Wales' depot in Canton, Cardiff.

There is also work underway refurbishing trains which run from north and south Wales to Manchester.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 21:11:08 »

Welcome news, but not before time! I haven't had the pleasure of travelling on an ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) 158 in a little while now, since the west Wales service switched over to principally 175 operation (on MAN-MFD) and 153s (on SWA» (Swansea - next trains)-PMD). They were looking rather tired and sorry for themselves back then, and I don't suppose they've improved in the meantime. The 153s have had a "refresh", but that was limited almost entirely to new seat coverings and fitting CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision).

Even the relatively new 175s are now looking quite, erm, "lived-in" internally, they see pretty heavy usage and ATW don't seem to keep up with the internal maintenance in the same way FGW (First Great Western) did with the 180s.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 21:41:09 »

Those 175s are indeed looking 'lived in'. My thought was 'falling apart at the seams' (at least internally) the last time I took one from Newport to Hereford.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 23:21:03 »

Now you see - I don't mind them - the 158s have lots of tables

175s less so

I prefer the 158s since they tend to have toilets with water in rather than suction (bleugh).

However I'd take any of them over any dmu run by london midland

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 04:32:20 »

Don't suppose the seating arrangement is going to change much in either class on a budget of ^7.5m for the fleet, so I think the tables will be safe!

Edited to add...
After watching the Beeb's video on the news website, it looks like they've done a nice job on that 153. Will have to see if I can score one of those on a PMD service next time I'm heading back home.
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 22:10:09 »

I dont mind the 175's - I regularly use them for travelling between South Wales and Manchester. They could do with a refresh tho but arent too bad.

I think the 158's are long overdue a refresh.
Andypandy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 21:00:02 »

I dont mind the 175s either. Travelled Hereford to Newport today on a "upgraded" 175 and wasnt thrilled by it. New seat covers rather than new seats so not terribly comfy,and didnt look like it fitted very well in the frame and interesting colours,bit dull compared to the purple but it doesnt look as worn out which i am pleased to see but hey ho it is the other fleet that needs it more. My other little moan over! Must be the weather! =P
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 18:40:24 »

Sorry to dredge up an old thread here, but I travelled on one of ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))'s refurbished 175s the other day and I have to say I wasn't hugely impressed.

Suffice it to say that the extent of the "refurbishment" appears to have been new seat covers and carpets. The toilets are untouched (and on this service, despite it being fresh off the depot at 0805 on a Saturday morning, was running low on toilet paper with a non-functioning hand dryer), seat frames are still bashed, scuffed and chipped etc etc.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 20:45:11 »

humm i cant see huge amounts of money being spent on the 175's, they are new in comparison to the 153's and 158's i would guess that they are just having a refresh and the bulk of the money being spent on the sprinters
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 23:21:34 »

Yes the 175's have had a refresh, new seats and carpets etc. Have yet to travel on a refurbished 158 or 153. 
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 23:25:40 »

Yes the 175's have had a refresh, new seats and carpets etc. Have yet to travel on a refurbished 158 or 153. 

Same story. Complete and utter bodge job from Arriva. Glad I never have to travel in Wales away from the Swansea - Newport mainline.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: