09:52 London Paddington to Hereford
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
13:18 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 10:55:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[114] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[55] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[47] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[46] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[38] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[34] Broadgage unwell.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Sample fares  (Read 5163 times)
northwesterntrains

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2010, 11:26:43 »

I'm trying to compare equivalent fares from different parts of the country.  It's certainly not easy to compare off-peak fares as some routes have peak fares only and in the north of England an off-peak single ticket is indeed very rare.  Then the range of advance tickets available in some parts of the country is poorer than in other areas.  So I think the only way of comparing them is to look at non-PTE (Passenger Transport Executive) subsided routes that don't involve London travel.  London travel is usually expensive wherever you start from - the difference being in the South East London is a local fare opposed to a long distance fare.

I've started looking at peak return journeys of around 11 miles each way (for some reason it's easier to find than 10 miles) and picking journeys at random for three areas has made the South East surpringly the cheapest (obviously avoiding London as I said):
* North West: Northwich to Knutsford: ^5.30
* Yorkshire: Marsden to Greenfield: ^5.70
* South East: Rye to Hastings: ^4.90

Can anyone throw in some South, South West, South Wales fares or any other area you'd like to add?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 12:24:52 »

Bristol Temple Meads to St Andrew's Road (10 miles approx) ^3.00 SDR
Bristol Temple Meads to Bath Spa (11 miles approx) ^6.80 SDR
Melksham to Dilton Marsh (11 miles approx) ^3.50 SDR

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
basset44

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 12:40:55 »

Pontypridd to Cardiff Central  ( 10 Miles Approx)   ^5.10 SDR
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 14:08:39 »

What times that train again?  Grin Wink

Here, there and Everywhere!!
northwesterntrains

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 14:13:09 »

Bristol Temple Meads to St Andrew's Road (10 miles approx) ^3.00 SDR
Bristol Temple Meads to Bath Spa (11 miles approx) ^6.80 SDR

I wasn't expecting that big-a-difference in the South West.  We have big differences in the North but it's always given the excuse that one's a PTE (Passenger Transport Executive) fare and one's a standard fare.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 14:20:45 by northwesterntrains » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 16:14:32 »

The train service to St Andrew's Road is on the Severn Beach Line which receives subsidies from Bristol City Council and South Gloucestershire Council. Bristol to Bath is a very popular journey so I guess FGW (First Great Western) can maximise revenue with a relatively high pence per mile fares structure.

What times that train again?  Grin Wink

Grin Grin Grin

To be fair, northwesterntrains was asking about fares and not service provision. But for the record that fare would be applicable on the 0641 to Dilton Marsh, returning on the 1822, waiting an hour at Westbury and arriving Melksham 1947.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 17:04:29 »

South Hants, Fareham to:

Portsmouth Stations ^4.80 (10 miles)
Eastleigh ^5.20 (10 miles)
Southampton Central ^6.20  (14 miles)

Paul
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 17:12:56 »

Another couple around 11 miles distance:

Plymouth to Calstock ^6.80
Plymouth to Ivybridge ^5.10

Should point out that all the SDRs I've quoted also have a CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')) available, except the Severn Beach Line which only has a SDS or SDR for journeys wholly on the line.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 17:35:48 »

Bristol to Bath is a very popular journey so I guess FGW (First Great Western) can maximise revenue with a relatively high pence per mile fares structure.

But still very competitive when compared to the X39 bus service. Haven't used it in a while but I was certainly charged GBP3.90 single from Bath to Keynsham on the 339 (Sunday equivalent of the X39 service) two or three years ago and I doubt it's got cheaper. I would guess that the return Bristol-Bath bus fare is probably not too dissimilar to the peak rail fare, and that the off-peak rail fare actually works out cheaper! Does anyone have the actual numbers for the bus fares to hand?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 17:54:41 »

Bristol to Bath -  Peak day return bus fare ^7.50. Off Peak day return (after 9am Mon-Fri) ^6.85.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 10:00:12 »

I think for the southwest we should compare CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')) fares as on many routes off-peak is very early and big differences in fares-

i.e. Penmere to Truro (about 11 miles) ^4.10 SDR, ^3.40 CDR
St Ives to Penzance (9ish miles) ^5.50 SDR, ^3.40 CDR
Camborne to Truro (14ish miles) ^5.40 SDR, ^3.90 CDR
then you look at Par Newquay (20 miles) ^7.80 SDR but ^3.90 CDR!
or Penzance Exeter (131 miles) ^15.60 CDR but ^41.00 SOR! (but cheaper to split at Ply in peak time)
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 17:40:36 »

How about Worcester to Bristol? Only ^10 return! Many miles.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 10:07:12 »

Worcester Shrub Hill to Bristol Temple Meads 66 miles 30 chain or 67 miles 41 chain via Gloucester.
Add an extra 52 chains for Worcester Foregate Street.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 13:30:55 »

Even more miles per pound if you go WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains)-BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) via Hereford and Newport!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 14:27:07 »

Pangbourne to Didcot  (12 miles approx) 6.40 SDR

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: