Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 02:17:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[59] IETs at Melksham
[53] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[46] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: What brought you to the Coffee Shop?  (Read 10060 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2010, 04:20:20 »

In early 2009 I stumbled upon this wonderful forum unintentionally. The reason why I ended up here is lost in the mists of time... some random use of Google was probably involved!

My first post was in response to a (possibly) light-hearted idea that a loco-hauled service should be considered from Minehead to Paddington. Looking back at my posting history confirms this. However, I'd thought that I came here for fares information specific to the Severn Beach Line; turns out that wasn't the case and I went quiet for a few months, just reading stuff already posted, save for a rant about NXEC (National Express East Coast) removing a lot of their restaurant services.

I only got seriously involved on the forum after an unsatisfactory response from FGW (First Great Western) regarding Railcard discounts on the SVB Line - an issue that was eventually resolved thanks to a FGW staffer who is also a regular contributor here on the forum.

So, in the spirit of being a nosey ( Grin) old so-and-so, I'd be interested to hear other forum members' stories as to how they ended up here.

Over to you....

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 09:08:46 »

I stumbled on this site by typing First Great Western into goggle I was looking for their website to look up train times and saw this site.  I had recently returned to commuting into London by train in 2007 when I joined that smallish railway infrastructure I had a company car with my previous rail company employer, never did site easy with me using a car to do railway work as I had in all my previous career on the railways traveled by train.

So anyway as I said in 2007 I was enduring the excellent punctuality and reliability of FGW (First Great Western) [sic]  Roll Eyes when I looked through this site I found that it obviously had the ear of some in FGW I found the comments here on the service provided by FGW balanced and not a rant as they still are also that the non railway members want to understand how the railways work and the willingness of railway professionals to share their knowledge.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 20:50:40 »

Referred by a previous member who resides on the route of the 'trans wilts'  Wink
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 21:07:44 »

I think through First Late Western / I Hate First Great Western

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 21:09:59 »

I was googling this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBoRcBmLKyY&feature=search

At a time when the 2006 time table change made it random if I got into work at all let alone on time - lost my contract over that one......

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 21:36:18 »

I accidently stumbled accross it whilst looking for main FGW (First Great Western) site. Like many no doubt I started out as a lurker but after seeing the friendly and informative nature I took the plunge and joined. It was one of the best/worst decisions I've made (Delete as applicable  Tongue Grin)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 22:39:07 »

.... and I think I spotted one of grahame's photos of Melksham station accompanying that video.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 22:44:09 »

It was through the I Hate First Great Western blog..I've come here to try and be helpful, in some cases I have been, others maybe not =P
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 01:28:53 »

lol ohh dear on: July 24, 2008, 11:42:54 AM my first post umm, well i would like to think that i have grown up at some point since then as some of my comments, rants have been well, cringeworthy to say the least and as for spelling and grammar.... well somethings just never change  Grin but i believe that i ended up here while researching the okehampton line  a place that i now volunteer (although, and i'm not sure if any other volunteer's use this forum  i have not been for some time due to personal circumstances changing somewhat). now i class myself and fairly internet dependent,the funny thing is and i'm sure that i am not alone in this respect, is that this forum has found itself embedded within my daily life and although i have many contacts online who i have known for years i can honestly say that i have never met such a group of friendly people that are willing to help anyone that comes along and although we have all had our disagreements on some topics i have never seen anything get out of hand, this is thanks to the decent people on here and graham and the mods who put in so much hard work it really is appreciated! thank you so much for providing this forum and helping me over the years as well as putting up with me  Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 02:09:04 »

After all the fun I've had, as a member of this forum, over the past two and a half years, I'd almost forgotten why I joined in the first place. Roll Eyes

However, a look at my own first couple of posts, at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=1249.0 reminded me. Grin

Somehow, I remain as positive and hopeful now as I was then - and, to be fair, so much has already been achieved, in terms of improving reliability. On the other hand, my son no longer goes to swimming lessons.  Roll Eyes

Having progressed from 'newbie' to administrator on this forum in that time, I'd just like to add my personal thanks to all those members who have contributed so much to my enjoyment of this forum.

Chris.  Embarrassed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 07:44:44 »

I don't remember how I came across the forum, possibly when I read about the second FGW (First Great Western) fare strike.  I was a "lurker" for at least 6 months - 1 year before posting anything, so my first posts won't really help.  Since then, I seem to have become an anorak when it comes to the fare system in our region.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 11:51:40 »

I was pointed to it by Christian Wolmar to Lee Flectcher in my role at Taplow Rail User Group. Had the pleasure of meeting Lee at Taplow when he did one of his walk abouts.

Have kept an eye on it ever since posting on operational issues, timetables, new services and line reopening,  the mess fares are in.

Reopenings, first choice Bourne End Wycombe to give a North South rail link through Bucks connecting with the East West rail at Claydon.

Second choice Okehampton Tavistock Bere Alston.

Think proper tram trains (600V DC (Direct Current) 25Kv AC) with street running through Bristol should be considered for Portishead Severn Beach and Thornbury services.

Not too keen on HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) would rather see GWML (Great Western Main Line) an MML» (Midland Main Line. - about) electrified with necessary in fill from Southern to Westbury Exeter Salisbury Reading Baingstoke, and Reigate Reading. Also favour loco hauled for through services with engine change at end of the wires. I cringe at the use of HST (High Speed Train) on the Leeds service because of the lack of 91s and Mark4.

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 13:21:39 »

My first post has me slagging off FGW (First Great Western) (this was 2007 and in them days they deserved it)  and, bizarely, signing the praises of Northern and saying that FGW could be as good as them if they tried.

I think I found the forum thriough MTLS (More Train Less Strain) or I Hate First Great Western.  Incidentally, I found my "I Hate First Great Westen" badge a few days ago.  It was rusty and I threw it away. 

I have learnt alot since then (thanks everyone), but I am still frustrated with our Rail Network. 
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 16:39:26 »

The Internet brought me here!   Grin Wink

Here, there and Everywhere!!
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 21:07:55 »

I was just about to join FGW (First Great Western), so wanted to see what views there were of the company back then (and you're all thinking "he still joined anyway?!"  Roll Eyes  Grin )  I also wanted to expand my knowledge of the FGW area and wider rail network and I always like a good forum atmosphere.  I typed "FGW forum" into Google and up this place popped... the rest is history  Cheesy

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: