Foundation, Beatties of London (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:18 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 22:54:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[200] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[54] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[48] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[23] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[22] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: What brought you to the Coffee Shop?  (Read 10091 times)
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 22:19:21 »

A couple of nightmare journeys on the Cotswold line got me enraged. I think I found this website through various "I hate FGW (First Great Western)" blogs or the Charlbury Commuter website. I can't remember.

I think, like many people hear, I have learnt a lot and changed my attitudes, I slagged FGW off a lot in the early days - but they did deserve it. I was unfair at times I think. Now the Cotswold Line is being partially redoubled and I understand a lot more about the railway, so I am try to make my posts more positive.

I've also used this website for info, as there is such a good range of people here.

Thanks to all the Admins/Moderators and Graham for keeping this site going! You all do a terrific job - our commutes would not be the same without it!
bigdaz
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 16:42:49 »

I am a train enthusiast  - but with a difference:  not so much worried about writing down individual train numbers but (and we all have our own idiosyncracies) I love talking about timetables, train deployment, fares.....more of a logician I suppose.  In real life I am a Primary School Deputy Headteacher so it takes me away from the world of education!!

Looking forward to meeting some of you face to face on Wednesday at Reading.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 01:04:11 »

After all the fun I've had, as a member of this forum, over the past two and a half years, I'd almost forgotten why I joined in the first place. Roll Eyes

However, a look at my own first couple of posts, at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=1249.0 reminded me. Grin

Somehow, I remain as positive and hopeful now as I was then - and, to be fair, so much has already been achieved, in terms of improving reliability. On the other hand, my son no longer goes to swimming lessons.  Roll Eyes

Having progressed from 'newbie' to administrator on this forum in that time, I'd just like to add my personal thanks to all those members who have contributed so much to my enjoyment of this forum.

Chris.  Embarrassed

Just looked at this - I thought it was well after that I joined!

But it was the december 2006 time table change that caused me grief and a lost contract - I lost it end of Jan so I guess it was causing me issues then.

That was when I spent a couple of hours a night sitting in the sloe bat if I missed the 1822 waiting for the 2022 because the 1922 was a two car 165

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 11:37:42 »

If I remember correctly, I stumbled across the site three years ago while searching for information regarding the Penryn loop.  I've been visiting ever since, not because I have an awful lot to say but to read the informed and informative posts by many of the regular posters.

I'm a great believer in the largely (imo) untapped potential of the railways in the C21st and have a deep attachment to the railways of the south west in particular. While the last three years have seen significant improvements in many areas, including branch line services in Cwll and punctuality across the FGW (First Great Western) region, it's frustrating that improvements to the Trans-Wilts service and reopenings to Portishead and Tavistock have not moved forward greatly due to changes in economic and/or political conditions. 

edit:
I'd also like to add that I have enormous respect for the front-line employees of the railway, which is the result of countless acts of kindness and consideration shown to me as a passenger over the years from BR (British Rail(ways)) days to the present, and enormous sympathy for them as they are so often caught in the firing line when problems arise that are most often the responsibility of those safely sitting behind a desk miles away.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 14:35:09 by Andy » Logged
coolsecretspy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 01:09:16 »

i was introduced to the First Great Western Coffee shop by a regular poster here who most have you may know by the handle "thetrout". he is my best friend who is also a train enthusiast who has been teaching me stuff about trains on long train journeys which i find fascinating. i am learning new stuff about trains all the time thanks to thetrout Cheesy
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 18:31:46 »

Hmm.  I, too, have enormous respect for thetrout's quite amazingly detailed knowledge, about trains and buses!  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
coolsecretspy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 19:10:59 »

What amazes me about thetrout is I can randomly point at a train from a far distance and say what train is that, and he'll actually be able to answer. I haven't yet been able to trip him up Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 20:33:30 »

What amazes me about thetrout is I can randomly point at a train from a far distance and say what train is that, and he'll actually be able to answer. I haven't yet been able to trip him up Smiley

Ah ... now that's inspired me to post up a few pictures for the most expert of our members here to try and recognise.   Note on the simple stuff like pictures of Melksham or Taunton  Grin

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=9669.0

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 07:42:14 »

I seem to remember that a 3 hour journey from Totnes to Paignton, a few years ago caused me
 to stumble across the coffee shop.
 I needed someone who would listen as I ''threw my toys out of the pram''.

Sometimes it's interesting to read what fellow Mb's find 'narks' them, 'No banana's in 1st class'
  or 'a 4 minute delay awaiting signals at Paddington'.
  Whilst I sit at Totnes for an hour because the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) is cancelled because of high tide at Dawlish.

Fortunately the 'Signal Box Cafe' comes to my rescue, a fine dining establishment where I can escape
  my fellow 'bleating commuters'.
  Alas retirement looms so you will no longer need to suffer my sarcastic rants.
  (Will miss the bacon baps, though)

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: