Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:13:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[171] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[66] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[52] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[41] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: "Nationalise to end chaos" - Diane Abbot MP (Sunday Express 22/08/2010)  (Read 6632 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2010, 18:02:47 »

From the Sunday Express:

By Diane Abbott, Labour leadership candidate

My Uncle Mackie was my favourite uncle and was a railway porter at London^s Euston station. He was devoted to his job and would boast happily that he had never taken a day off sick in his life.

Ever since, however, generations of committed railwaymen and harassed rail users like myself have been ill-served by successive governments^ chaotic policies towards the railways.

Recent fare rises (and the even bigger ones in the pipeline) go to show that when it comes to the railways the Government doesn^t know what it is doing and long-suffering rail commuters are paying the price. Transport Minister Philip Hammond has been hinting at huge price rises but Britain already has some of the highest train fares in the world.

They are not just hitting us all in the pocket they are bad for the environment and wider society. Since 1997 train fares have gone up by seven per cent but the cost of motoring has dropped by 13 per cent and the cost of domestic air fares has halved. It is almost invariably cheaper, for instance, to fly from London to Glasgow than take the train. Consequently people who might actually prefer to travel by train find themselves forced to use their car or take a plane. How does this make sense when the Government claims to be concerned about the environment? Cutting rail fares 20 per cent would increase rail travel 17 per cent, which would be good for our pockets and for the cause of climate change. Instead fares are set to rise even higher. One thing that makes this worse is the difficulty in getting your hands on the cheap fare deals. Not even the people who work for the train companies can work out the system. A survey by Which? last year revealed two-thirds of station clerks failed to quote customers the cheapest fare.

THE chaos extends into management. Rail union TSSA» (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association - about) (Trans- port Salaried Staffs^ Association) is in dispute with Network Rail because of what it claims are serious management failings. Among the allegations are a series of inappropriate payments to managers. There were apparently 95 compromise agreements signed by network Rail with managers in the period 2007/2008. Compromise agreements are normally an indication that a member of staff has agreed to go by mutual agreement. If Network Rail had to let go of 95 managers then it really is in a mess. Further to this there are allegations of sexual harassment against network Rail^s head of human resources Peter Bennett. All of this would be just about bearable if the railways were genuinely private but they continue to cost the taxpayer billions.

We subsidise train operators to the tune of ^1billion a year and subsidise network Rail by ^4billion. yet managers continue to pay themselves fat, private-sector salaries and bonuses and the companies continue to squeeze the travellers. That is why I believe it is time to take the railways back into public ownership. It was a mistake to privatise them in the first place as it^s allowed private companies to profiteer without regard to public interest.

My opponents in the battle for the Labour leadership are the Miliband brothers, Ed Balls and Andy Burnham. They all claim that it would be too expensive to bring the railways back into public owner ship but they are wrong, it would actually save the public money. For one thing network Rail is effectively state-owned already. The rail infrastructure was effectively renationalised when Railtrack went into administration in 2001. Network Rail debts are underwritten by the Government and the company is  partially funded by it. Network Rail was described at the time as being ^nationalisation in all but name^. New Labour^s administration at the time did not want to call it the renationalisation of Railtrack because they were terrified of being seen to go against the private sector, even when the taxpayer was getting a bad deal. More duplicitously they also wanted to avoid compensating Railtrack shareholders. So they let Rail-track go insolvent and then took it over.

It would cost nothing to bring back train operations into public hands. The Government would have two options: either it would not renew the franchises when they expire or, as the companies got into financial difficulties, they could be taken over. Additionally private-sector train operators receive a huge direct subsidy from the Government. This is just subsidising their profits. It would be cheaper and in the public  interest to operate the trains directly. The current mess doesn^t serve the general public, the taxpayer or the rail commuter. The labour Party that I would lead would start listening to the public for the first time in a long time. On the railways, as on other issues, I would introduce policies that made sense instead of  running scared of big-money interests.

I do not have the corporate backers that my opponents have. So this summer on the leadership campaign trail I have travelled to every corner of the British Isles by rail, from the Highlands to the South coast. I have marvelled at the beauty of some of the wonderful Victorian stations and the kindness and efficiency of so many staff. The railways are too dear to the British people to be left to rapacious private companies. let^s stop these huge fare rises and make the railways the people^s railways once more.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 07:18:33 »

From the Sunday Express:

My Uncle Mackie was my favourite uncle and was a railway porter at London^s Euston station. He was devoted to his job and would boast happily that he had never taken a day off sick in his life.

Ever since, however, generations of committed railwaymen and harassed rail users like myself have been ill-served by successive governments^ chaotic policies towards the railways. ....

From Sky News

Diane Abbott says she is "sincerely sorry for drinking on TfL» (Transport for London - about)" after a picture emerged of the Labour MP (Member of Parliament) enjoying a cocktail on her commute.

The snap of the shadow home secretary began doing the rounds on Twitter after it appeared in The Sun, which showed her sipping from a can of M&S mojito on a Transport for London Overground train - which is banned.

The Labour frontbencher tweeted an apology for drinking the minty alcoholic beverage, which is made with white rum and lime flavours.

I have some considerable sympathy for Diane Abbott ... it's a strange system where a train operator on the main network will happily sell you alcohol on one of their services and the operator on the local trains that run under London - and out into the 'burbs - make it an offence to drink alcohol on their services.

How on earth are people supposed to know?   

Do we / will we have drinking and none-drinking trains between London and places like Hayes and Harlington?

But ... there is already so much nationalised control - how does Dianne Abbott think that further national ownership would sort out such inconsistencies?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 08:00:35 »

From the Sunday Express:

Ever since, however, generations of committed railwaymen and harassed rail users like myself have been ill-served by successive governments^ chaotic policies towards the railways. ....

From Sky News

Diane Abbott says she is "sincerely sorry for drinking on TfL» (Transport for London - about)" after a picture emerged of the Labour MP (Member of Parliament) enjoying a cocktail on her commute.

The snap of the shadow home secretary began doing the rounds on Twitter after it appeared in The Sun, which showed her sipping from a can of M&S mojito on a Transport for London Overground train - which is banned.

The Labour frontbencher tweeted an apology for drinking the minty alcoholic beverage, which is made with white rum and lime flavours.

I have some considerable sympathy for Diane Abbott ... it's a strange system where a train operator on the main network will happily sell you alcohol on one of their services and the operator on the local trains that run under London - and out into the 'burbs - make it an offence to drink alcohol on their services.

How on earth are people supposed to know?   

Do we / will we have drinking and none-drinking trains between London and places like Hayes and Harlington?

But ... there is already so much nationalised control - how does Dianne Abbott think that further national ownership would sort out such inconsistencies?

It was banned by the Mayor in 2008, the signage is pretty clear too at Tube Stations.

I guess we have to accept that Dear Diane is as adept with words as she is at numbers...……..but drinking a bourgeois drink like a Mojito...….purchased from a Jewish owned store...………..what will Jeremy say?  Wink
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 10:24:05 »

On the Tube, yes.  But I must admit I had no idea it was banned on the Overground too.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 11:06:22 »

Diane Abbott needs to take a leaf out of my book.

I have a nice looking re-usable coffee cup marketed by a national coffee shop chain going under the 'double 'C' banner and which looks quite swish and resembles a small vacuum flask. It has the added advantage of having a capacity of 440ml which is sufficient to place the contents of a 440ml can in which many alcoholic drinks available today are marketed in. Cheers. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 12:59:57 »

From Yahoo!

These are the rules of drinking alcohol on public transport

London

Transport For London has a policy in place that bans passengers for drinking alcohol or carrying open containers of alcohol on public transport.

The alcohol ban came into force in 2008. It includes all of London’s public transport – buses, trams, tubes and Docklands Light Railway.

You can, however, carry closed bottles and cans to and from your destination.

Then sections for England and Wales, for Scotland, and for Northern Ireland

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 08:13:03 »

I have a nice looking re-usable coffee cup marketed by a national coffee shop chain ....

I have some sympathy for Diane Abbott ... who (I would be pretty sure) wasn't aware that she was breaking the rules when she drank from her Mojito on the Overground.   The very fact that there's so much press comment telling us all what the rules are now indicates that the detail may not be as well known as the should be.

But by transferring her booze into a re-usable coffee cup, would she not have been indicating a knowledge of the rules and an intentional breaking of them?

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 08:26:32 »

I have a nice looking re-usable coffee cup marketed by a national coffee shop chain ....

I have some sympathy for Diane Abbott ... who (I would be pretty sure) wasn't aware that she was breaking the rules when she drank from her Mojito on the Overground.   The very fact that there's so much press comment telling us all what the rules are now indicates that the detail may not be as well known as the should be.

Ignorantia juris non excusat
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 10:04:40 »

No excuse, but not exactly a big deal either.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 11:34:06 »

purchased from a Jewish owned store

Irrelevant and wrong. 🙄

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 13:28:00 »

...or, as Jack Mogg might put it:

Caesar adsum jam forte
Brutus aderat
Caesar sic in omnibus
Brutus sic in at

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 16:44:20 »

...or, as Jack Mogg might put it:

Caesar adsum jam forte
Brutus aderat
Caesar sic in omnibus
Brutus sic in at

………...is that a Western National Omnibus that he was sic in?  Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 20:57:34 »

From The Independent

M&S stores have sold out of mojito cans days after a photo emerged of Diane Abbott sipping one on a London Overground train.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2019, 22:11:25 »

From The Independent

M&S stores have sold out of mojito cans days after a photo emerged of Diane Abbott sipping one on a London Overground train.

Folk will just have to make them themselves.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 02:21:06 »

#A little ditty 'bout Mac and Diane
Two rail travelling kids drinking mojitos out of a can
Diane wants to be Home Secretary
Mac just wants to get home to Finn on a damn IET (Intercity Express Train)

Saying oh yeah, life goes on
Long after the last HST (High Speed Train) buffet has gone
Oh yeah, life goes on
Cant even go back to M&S and get another one

Static trolley walk on...#

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: