Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:35 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
23:50 Maidenhead to Marlow
26/04/24 00:17 Marlow to Maidenhead
Delayed
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 23:45:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SWT train managers - what do they do exactly...and how often are RPIs on route?  (Read 5729 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« on: August 22, 2010, 23:07:07 »

Anyone?

Only common knowledge is ad hoc trips from reading - kew bridge/waterloo but today I did waterloo to sunbury

Same announcement from the guard on leaving waterloo as on leaving any other terminus station

Same announcement of where he is located

No ticket check, no communication after the announcement on leaving waterloo, - and in this case not all stations were gated - sun bury isnt

Dumbelling, or non payment must be worse on SWT (South West Trains) than on FGW (First Great Western)

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 23:10:37 »

Many guards on SWT (South West Trains) are non commercial so don't do tickets
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 23:13:14 »

As far as I know SWT (South West Trains) still calls its staff guards, rather than train managers.

Some of them are, strictly, guards - they are responsible for the safe operation of the train, doors, timekeeping etc etc, at least as much as they can be under today's current operating rules. If you're being a total purist, a guard per se doesn't have any responsibility for revenue.

SWT also have a second grade, "commercial guards" (exactly equivalent to a conductor) who have the full range of guard's responsibilities and also look after revenue.

I don't use SWT often at all so I don't know how the guards/commercial guards are distributed around the system, but I would guess that the inner suburban workings might use non-commercial guards with occasional checks by RPIs (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) since they'll have their work cut out working doors and despatching with frequent station calls. I'm also guessing that the staff used on longer distance services are generally commercial guards - I'm sure someone out there knows more about this than me and can fill in the blanks.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 23:13:38 »

On my recent travels with SWT (South West Trains), the guards* have always come through the train (this is on mainline 444/450, not suburban trains, though). Other than that, they're in their mini office halfway along the train, or at in rear cab.

Is the Shepperton branch operated by Desiros, or 455s (the ones that look like 150s)

Not sure why the guards bother with announcements, as Celia says everything again!

*They always announce they're a guard, not a TM(resolve). Tongue
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 23:17:14 »

Shepperton today was a a suburban unit with no toilets, no tables 2+2 seating and some tube style seating - was four car - was the 1948 from waterloo

No idea what it was as it was the front four carriages on platform 2 parked so close in front of the rear train I could not see the unit number and I wasnt being sad enough to walk to the front to look

Just trying to match the militancy of the ticket sellers on the gate lines should you dare not have a ticket even if you wanted to buy one - with the complete lack of any desire to protect revenue on other services

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 23:21:13 »

If it had openable windows and slide doors (not plug) then it was a 455.

They should switch to DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) on suburban, to enable the guards to check tickets.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 23:21:31 »

Whenever I've travelled through SWT (South West Trains) a guard has sometimes come through. Recent journey from Winnersh Triangle to Reading, before joining I asked to buy a ticket from him (so doing the right thing) it broke his Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) so he definitely wouldn't have been able to do anymore anyway Tongue

I know the Reading - Waterloo line has Revenue Protection work it, I think they join at Bracknell?
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 23:55:41 »

Revenue Protection have indeed got an office at Bracknell.

Just the one run-in with them there.....

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=5075.msg46854#msg46854

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 00:00:32 »

Oh yeah, remember reading that post Smiley
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 08:37:43 »

Around the Portsmouth area, SWT (South West Trains) are really hot on their ticket checks.  The guard leaves the goldfish bowl* after every stop and checks tickets quite thoroughly.  The barrier staff in the area are very cautious about what they accept through the manual gate (see my previous post about not being allowed on the platform at Havant before the previous train left as I had an advance ticket).  And presumably the barriers are set to gobble any ticket even if a valid journey is still left on the ticket Roll Eyes

* = The guard's office next to the central first class, which is surrounded by glass windows hence the slang local term goldfish bowl.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: