09:52 London Paddington to Hereford
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
13:18 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 11:27:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[114] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[55] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[47] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[46] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[38] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[34] Broadgage unwell.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I need a bit of help working out which tickets to buy  (Read 5291 times)
johoare

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2010, 19:41:59 »

I am struggling a bit here. I am going to Brighton on Tuesday..With 4 children but two are 16.. so 3 adults tickets and 2 child tickets..

I'd like to meet up with other family members on the Brighton train at St Pancras (who will already be on the train from Bedford) although could also pick the train up at London Bridge if that's the only option possible..

I managed to get one off peak fare that was ^53.80 for all of us but meant for some reason we couldn't come back until the 19.49 out of Brighton which is too late.. It wouldn't give me any earlier trains...I'd like to be heading back shortly after 7. That also included using the tube and then either Victoria or London Bridge but not St Pancras.. And whilst I agree going via St Pancras will take a bit longer.. I would still like to do it if possible..

I'm wondering if 3 adult travel cards (^13 each) plus two ^1 kids travel cards and then a return from the edge of zone 6 to Brighton would a) be cheaper and b) be allowed..

I will keep investigating but if anyone can help meanwhile I'd be very grateful...  Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 20:11:50 »

The ^53.80 fare which is an Off-Peak Day Return GroupSave 4 + 1 child at ^1, appears to be your best deal.

The restrictions on the ticket are the same as the Off Peak Day Return between Maidenhead and Brighton Route: +London. NFM06 gives the restriction code P7 which permits arrival into London Terminals after 1000 and only bars return travel on the High Speed services out of Paddington between 1600 and 1915. There are no restrictions on the time you can leave Brighton.

Route: +London is fine for travel via St Pancras or London Bridge (Farringdon is the suggested connection for a First Capital Connect train from Bedford to Brighton) on your way out and Victoria on your return.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 20:22:21 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 21:12:17 »

Thanks for that.. I'm not sure why it was restricting the trains I got out of Brighton then (the ^53.80 fare that is).. Does that mean if I book that ticket I can get whatever train I like back (assuming I don't get back so early I try and get on one of the high speed restricted services out of Paddington)?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 21:39:12 »

Yep. I'm assuming you're using the FGW (First Great Western) booking engine where you have to select an out and return service, but you don't need to stick to the booked services as your tickets are not Advances. You just need to abide by the time/train restrictions for the ticket type.

Oh and travel throughout as a group!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 22:48:30 »

It was the national rail website that didnt give me the trains home I wanted.. And yes.. we will be travelling as a group.. I bet our tickets don't get checked once however :-) Thanks!  Smiley
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 22:53:33 »

FGW (First Great Western): Unlikely but will likely need for the barriers.
Tube: Barriers only - rare to see RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) on board, I never have
FCC (First Capital Connect): Usually only RPI's to my knowledge, I have been checked on these services to Brighton
Southern: Usually pretty good from my experience with them.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 22:59:31 »

A pretty good summary from Ollie.

Of that list only FCC (First Capital Connect) would be a cause for concern. There are numerous stories out there on the web about FCC's RPIs (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) charging Penalty Fares when they are not justified.

However, there should be no problems with your journey, Jo.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 23:22:03 »

One final thing to consider Jo. It's probably worth changing at Farringdon, as it's cross-platform, rather than the loooong walk from the tube to the Thameslink platforms at Kings Cross/St Pancras.

And remember from Paddington it's a Circle/Hammersmith & City tube from the H&C platforms, not the Praed St platforms, unless you want to change at Edgware Road!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 23:33:13 »

And remember from Paddington it's a Circle/Hammersmith & City tube from the H&C platforms, not the Praed St platforms, unless you want to change at Edgware Road!
Platform 16 goes towards Farringdon Smiley
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 23:48:15 »

I guess the ticket won't be valid on the bus then...  Roll Eyes

But anyway I still prefer the Praed street platforms and changing at Edgware road (well unless my FGW (First Great Western) train comes into 13/14)..

After many years of travelling in that direction to work.. As often as not I'd get on the first train and change at Edgware road even when the circle line really WAS a circle line..  Grin It was usually quicker..

And I am going to have LOADS of time at St Pancras or Farringdon so the looong walk at St Pancras wouldn't be a problem.. Although it is a very long walk.. Something I wouldn't like if I used that station regularly I don't think.. It makes the trek to platforms 13/14 at Paddington seem like nothing  Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 23:53:44 »

Makes sense if you've got time to kill. St Pancras has lots more opportunities for constructive time-wasting than Farringdon!

Champagne and oysters for lunch?  Wink Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 11:54:15 »

Thanks bignosemac for reminding me about the champagne and oyster bar at St Pancras.

I'm going out of St Pancras on Thursday and was thinking of somewhere to have lunch.  Was thinking of quick noodle bar opposite Kings Cross. But as it's September and oysters will be back in season hopefully that will  relieve the tedium of the Eurostar to Brussells with a good kip ready for 330kmh dash down the Nuebau from K^ln to Frankfurt.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 12:06:47 »

Makes sense if you've got time to kill. St Pancras has lots more opportunities for constructive time-wasting than Farringdon!

Champagne and oysters for lunch?  Wink Grin

Ooh now that sounds nice but I shall have four children and no adults with me... Sad Wink
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 16:24:14 »

I've got the ^53.80 tickets via trainline in the end.. The trains I chose aren't necessarily the ones I am going to get but as bignosemac says shouldn't be a problem..I think they were just the fastest options..

The booking e-mail does say I'll have to show my group save 4 railcard at some point..That REALLY doesn't exist does it? I know it doesn't really.. but I have to check.. Roll Eyes

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 17:43:41 »

No.... doesn't exist. I guess the warning is there because the GroupSave options are listed with all the other railcards on the booking engine.

And why the trainline??! You've paid more than the face value with the added 'fees'.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: