Delayed
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 12:21:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[119] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[45] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[39] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[38] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[28] Broadgage unwell.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: First off peak train from RDG to BRI today?  (Read 5602 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« on: August 31, 2010, 11:21:05 »

For once I have to do a full day....I know the restriction means I have to get on before 5pm - which is what I normally do

But if I don't make it, when does the restriction end - and whats the first train from RDG(resolve)?

I always get confused over this

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 11:41:38 »

I will assume you are travelling on a Off Peak Return.

Valid leaving Reading on any train leaving after 1859
basset44

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 14:43:15 »

Hi,

Am I right in thinking that it is the first timetable train after 19.00 which would be the 19.11 change at BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) or 19.27 direct.

Just because a train is running late you tickets are not valid, is this correct?

Basset
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 14:45:50 »

How annoying is that

There is an 1856 direct to nailsea

:-(

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 14:53:09 »

Hi,

Am I right in thinking that it is the first timetable train after 19.00 which would be the 19.11 change at BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) or 19.27 direct.

Just because a train is running late you tickets are not valid, is this correct?

Basset
Correct. It is based on scheduled departure time rather than actual.

And yeah 19:11 change at Bristol PW (Permanent Way) is fine with Off Peak.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 15:50:44 »

No evening restrictions from Reading if you split your fare at Didcot.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 15:59:23 »

I already have the ticket - its a return portion that hasnt been used.

I supposed I could get a Reading-Didcot and then Didcot-Nailsea off peaks return(s) and save this one for the next time I'm travelling back mid afternoon - tis valid until the 25th

Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 16:03:43 »

Or just buy a single to Didcot and use your current ticket the rest of the way, providing your train stops at Didcot of course.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 16:12:35 »

Or just buy a single to Didcot and use your current ticket the rest of the way, providing your train stops at Didcot of course.

You know something - great minds think alike - was just about to post if I could do this.....

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 16:13:43 »

Does it work the other way in the morning?  Say from Nailsea to Didcot there being no peak restriction and then a peak from didcot onwards?

- you can see where the mind is going

Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 16:18:14 »

Valid on services after 08:00 from Nailsea or 08:15 from Temple Meads (so same as the Reading ticket).  Only appears to be relaxed in the westbound direction.

BTW (by the way), it is always cheaper to split at Didcot when travelling "off-peak":

Off Peak Return from NLS to RDG(resolve) ^47.00 (std) or ^114.00 (1st)

Off Peak Return from NLS to DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) ^38.00 (std) or ^94.00 (1st)
Off Peak Return from DID to RDG ^5.00 (std) or ^16.80 (1st)*

* = Restriction on this ticket is shown as:
Restriction : B3
OUTWARD TRAVEL               
By any train except those     
timed to depart Mondays to   
Fridays before 0900           

RETURN TRAVEL                 
By any train                 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 16:23:42 by Brucey » Logged
TheLastMinute

This really isn't worth reading.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 22:30:58 »

If a ticket isn't valid on the, say, 1730 from Paddington then surely it's not valid throughout the whole journey?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 22:51:04 »

Doesn't work like that TLM. In this case the split point is Didcot. Off Peak tickets are valid from Didcot in the evening peak and the NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage) allow you to start your journey short. So FA is allowed to use her station x to Nailsea Off Peak ticket from Didcot, she just needed a suitable ticket to get her to Didcot.

The restrictions in this case apply only to journeys starting at Paddington or Reading. FA was using the allowed split ticketing and starting short rules for her journey by using her Reading to Nailsea ticket from Didcot onward.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 22:58:44 »

Well turned out it was a moot point.....

I got the a train which was about 18 late at reading.......Got off the 1738 from crowthorne and as all services were randomly delayed with late changes and platform changes, I was not going through the barriers to sort a ticket.

First time I saw the TM(resolve) was after chippenham - flagged him down and told him I needed a reading to didcot peak single.

Got told basically if I knew that loophole it wasnt worth the effort to sell me the ticket.

Not mentioning which it was as dont want the guard to get in trouble if mangemint are reading

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 23:02:08 »

mangemint?  Eurrgh Shocked Wink

Nice to see a guard using discretion.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: