Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningDelayed
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 23:11:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[138] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[118] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[44] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[42] access for all at Devon stations report
[27] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[22] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost property  (Read 11693 times)
julian

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2010, 15:14:19 »

I managed to leave my glasses on a train travelling from Exmouth to Paignton. I left the Train at Exeter Central. I immediately phoned Lost Property who informed me that if I had left some tablets on the Train they would have contacted the Guard or Driver. As it was 'only' glasses they could not help.
My glasses are prescription items costing over ^200 and without them I am in some difficulty.
Is there any reason for discriminating between prescription medication and prescription glasses?
Needless to say they have not turned up in Lost Property...
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 15:22:56 »

Is there any reason for discriminating between prescription medication and prescription glasses?
Presumably because being without tablets could be lethal?  But is does seem an arbitary rule and one would have thought that the train crew could have been contacted and it then left to their decison as to how hard they looked for your specs.

Welcome to to forum.  I hope they turn up and that stick around when they do.
julian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 15:43:36 »

Thanks-I knew exactly where I had left them and could have provided an exact location.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 16:01:58 »

Which day did this happen? As sometimes apparently it takes a while for peoples lost possessions to end up at Lost property..(I think I was quoted 7 days when I recently lost something on the train)..

But I agree if you knew where they were, it wouldn't have taken too much for someone to have contacted the train/cleaners/paignton station staff.. I do think that some people may have helped you more than others when you rang up as I'm sure there are some people out there who would have done that little bit extra and contacted the guard/driver to look out for them..

Also I wonder if speaking to a member of staff at Exeter Central might have had better results?

I do hope you get them back soon  Smiley
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 20:18:44 »

Out of interest were you on the 1223 from Exmouth? 

If they turn up, they'll be handed in at EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains).  Check with the Duty Managers Office when you are next passing.  There is a high probability they will be sent to Bristol LPO tonight, but they'll still be logged, so if they've been sent there they can tell you.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 20:20:56 »

My son left his wallet on a train a while back and spent several fruitless days phoning various lost property departments at either end of the line (Portsmouth, Cardiff, Bristol) to no avail. Just as he'd given it up, a package arrived in the post. Station staff at Westbury had taken it on themselves to look inside the item someone had handed in, establish the address, and post it off to him (recorded).

I did mention it here at the time, as well as ensuring my son contact them and thank them himself, since their actions obviously went well above and beyond even the level of customer service one would like to expect. My point though in mentioning it again is that things do sometimes turn up via unexpected routes, and that Lost Property isn't always the end of the line. As it were.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 20:28:09 »

I once knew someone that did exactly that on finding lost property.
The customer sent in a thank you letter all full of praise etc. The person then got spoken to by the manager and then Form 1'd for not following correct lost property procedure and then sacked for theft. On appeal they allowed him to resign.

Of course silly b wasn't in a union, and im sure they could have thrown that out.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 22:31:38 »

And I know I posted this elsewhere at the time but will also add it here since it's relevant...

A few weeks ago I lost my purse on the train.. I realised it shortly after I got off the train, but too late to do anything about it..late at night..no obvious station staff.. no lost property phone numbers to ring.. etc..etc..

About 5 minutes after I arrived home, someone from the British Transport Police rang me to say he had it and it was at Reading (by then).. I was able to go and pick it up the next day as he had passed it on and apparently they hold on to things there for a while (since there is no longer a lost property office at Reading like there used to be)..

That to me is how it should be...  Cheesy
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 16:52:54 »

I suppose the answer is then to have a contact number on any personal property you might leave on
  a train.

So why not put a phone number in your glasses case,  as they are so expensive.
   Seems unfair to blame the railway for your own incompetence.   
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 17:28:31 »

I think incompetence is a bit unfair.. Lots of people manage to leave things on trains for various reasons (including me).. Smiley

But if Julian contacted them soon after and could have told them exactly where to find his glasses, you'd like to think they could have got them for him..Well I would have done had I worked for FGW (First Great Western)..

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 20:34:22 »

yeah - I managed to leave my berghuas rain coat on a train last week

Although alcohol played a part in that!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 00:51:06 »

It's not incompetence, it's called being human.

I hate it when everything has to go to the Central Lost Property Office. All items lost on LM (London Midland - recent franchise) are sent to B'ham. Not very helpful if you are at Hereford.

If you phone up/ speak to staff straight away, then they should phone down the line and get a staff member to get it off. It's what CT did for me in the past. Alas, LM is a "no, phone central office" TOC (Train Operating Company), so instead I had to phone a friend (who luckily I knew got on the train further down the line), who got it off for me.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 16:06:26 »

I had to phone a friend...who got it off for me.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Lips sealed
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: