Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:21:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Coaches and buses bursting into flames - why are they apparently so combustible? (merged topic)  (Read 20670 times)
tomL
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 12:42:07 »

But of course!  Grin

Don't worry, Harry, I won't tell your guv'nor about it!  Grin

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 13:38:29 »

Hope it was fitted with a Fire Distinguisher!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 22:03:54 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Double decker destroyed in south London fire

The bus was out of service at the time

A double decker bus has been destroyed in a suspected engine fire in south London.

Fire broke out in the bus at about 09:20 GMT on Forest Hill Road in Wood Vale near to Honor Oak Park. Clouds of thick black smoke could be seen for miles around.

The route 172 bus was out of service when the fire broke out, with only the driver on board.

London Fire Brigade said the fire was quickly put out and no-one was hurt.

The Metropolitan Police said the blaze started with a suspected engine fire and was not suspicious.

Ken Davidson, Transport for London's head of bus operations said the fire was being investigated.

Now, I have raised this concern before, but whenever I see such stories, I wonder why buses are so apparently - well - combustibleShocked
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 22:13:41 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2015, 01:05:01 »

Just out of curiosity, what are buses made of?  What material was able to melt away like that?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 01:37:59 »

Extruded aluminium and aluminium panels for the structure typically. More modern buses than the one in this thread may make greater use of composite materials. Relatively low melting point for aluminium and with lots of laminates and plastics to fuel a fire I can see its perfectly possible for the 660 degrees celsius heat to be reached to melt the aluminium.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 19:47:11 »

Where do bendy buses go to retire?

Malta, I'm told.

OTC
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 22:17:53 »

Where do bendy buses go to retire?

Malta, I'm told.

OTC

I seem to remember reading in Buses magazine that they've been banned from there some time ago after a series of engine fires.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 23:03:45 »

I seem to remember reading in Buses magazine that they've been banned from there some time ago after a series of engine fires.

Indeed they were - from the London Evening Standard, on 29 August 2013:

Bendy buses sent from London to Malta taken off their roads after three burst into flames

Up in smoke: Malta have suspended the fleet after three went up in flames

The doomed bendy buses decommissioned by London Mayor Boris Johnson and shipped to Malta have been taken off the roads by the government after three burst into flames in as many days. The fleet of 68 of the so-called ^chariots of fire^ have been temporarily suspended while an investigation into the causes of the blazes is carried out. So far this year nine bendy buses have caught fire, with Malta^s transport ministry instructing operator Arriva to remove the unpopular vehicles.

No-one has been injured, but the incidents have prompted a barrage of complaints from the public already angered that the 18-metre buses have been brought in to negotiate Malta^s narrow and winding historic roads.

The Maltese fleet was bought from London in 2011 after being phased out by the Mayor who replaced them with a new-generation Routemaster. They had a chequered history in the capital, with a number of fires breaking out and cyclists complaining they were unsafe for other road users.

Decommissioning the vehicles, Mr Johnson said: ^These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear ends round our corners for the final time.^

In a statement, Arriva said: ^The safety of our passengers, employees and vehicles is central to our operations. To have incidents occur so closely together is extremely rare and as a result we are taking the precautionary step of bringing our vehicles in for a series of checks before returning them into active service. While these checks take place we have appointed another transport operator to support the delivery of day-to-day services and reduce the impact for our customers. We are ensuring that all routes are covered. We apologise for the disruption but ask passengers to bear with us while we conclude these important checks. We would like to reassure them that we are looking to resolve the disruption as soon as possible.^

Arriva said it expects it to take up to five weeks for all vehicles to be checked.

Edit note: Details of date and context of article added, for clarity. CfN.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 11:28:30 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 23:18:34 »

I was in Cyprus earlier this month. The buses going past my hotel between Paralimni and Water Park via Ayia Napa were old (actually not that old) London single decker buses of the non bendy and non flammable variety. We caught one every evening for our nights out. They have been modified with air conditioning and speakers playing which ever radio station the driver fancied.

Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2015, 08:13:09 »

The Evening Standard story looks odd. There's a quote from Arriva - but I thought that they stopped running the buses on Malta att the end of 2013. Is this a re-cycling of an old story perhaps?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2015, 09:03:12 »

The Evening Standard story looks odd. There's a quote from Arriva - but I thought that they stopped running the buses on Malta att the end of 2013. Is this a re-cycling of an old story perhaps?

The  Evening Standard story is indeed dated 29 August 2013. That's why I think it helps to capture the date when copying a news item as a quotation.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2015, 11:30:55 »

Comments noted. I've amended my previous post to include details of the date and context of the article I quoted. My apologies for any confusion. Embarrassed

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2016, 01:24:43 »

Bus engulfed by fireball on Kingston High Street

A bus erupted into a fireball on a busy street during rush hour, causing people to be evacuated from their homes and businesses.

The 371 service became engulfed in flames on High Street, Kingston, south-west London, at about 09:00 GMT.

The driver was taken to hospital for treatment for the effects of breathing in smoke.

There had been fears the bus might explode, although the fire has since been brought under control.

One witness told The Telegraph the scene was "pretty chaotic".

Witness Martin Delaney said: "The road was taped off, there were acrid burning smells, local shops' fire alarms or smoke detectors had been triggered - it was quite a mess."

No passengers required medical treatment. Transport for London said there would be a full investigation into the fire, the cause of which is not yet known.

Kingston High Street remains closed.

I think I have asked this question before, but what is it about modern buses that they are apparently so combustible?  Shocked

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2017, 20:34:21 »

Coach carrying 25 schoolchildren catches fire

The children were safely evacuated from the bus after the smell of smoke was detected

A coach carrying children to school caught fire on route to its destination in West Sussex.

Smoke was smelt on the bus, which had 25 children on board, at 08:20 BST on Vowels Lane, near East Grinstead.

Head teacher at Imberhorne School, Martin Brown, said all the pupils managed to get out safely before the blaze took hold.

"They are now in school and being monitored in case of any shock or upset after the event," he added.

The cause of the fire is being investigated.

The children are being monitored at school for "shock and upset"

The children were kept a safe distance from the burning bus, the school said

I rather think that I have raised this question before, in previous cases of such conflagrations, but why is it that buses seem to be quite so, erm, combustible?  Shocked

chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 23:23:51 »

Cars are much the same, it only takes a few minutes to reduce a car to a bare shell once a fire has taken hold.

Is that 3+2 seating I can see on that coach?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: