06:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
06:50 London Paddington to Evesham
07:12 Plymouth to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 08:27:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] You see all sorts on the bus.
[53] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[46] Where have I been?
[44] "We can’t get from A to B in Britain and it might just be th...
[41] "Mayflower"
[34] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Brand New Rolling Stock for FGW.  (Read 5680 times)
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2007, 21:51:01 »

I'm dreaming again but please read on.

Is there any reason under The Railways Act which led to the privatisation of the UK (United Kingdom)'s railways why FGW (First Great Western) should not procure brand new trains by :-

1. First Group setting up a ROSCO» (Rolling Stock Owning Company - about), First Trains Leasing.

2. Procuring brand new rolling stock vested in this ROSCO.

3. Leasing the stock to FGW.

In the event that FGW lost the franchise at some future date then the stock could be leased to the new franchise holder or offered to any other franchised operator who may be operating clapped out stock.

Cash to pay for this stock could be raised from all those affluent shareholders who have been promised by the Board of First Group, "to grow dividends by 10% annually for the forseeable future". The cash could be raised by way of a rights issue. This is a method commonly used by companies listed on the LSE to raise money for investment. Say for instance that they needed to raise ^65 million to pay for the new trains. Assume their current issued number of shares is 100 million and they are trading around the 700p per share on the Stock Market. A rights issue of 10 million shares on the basis of a 1 for 10 rights issue at 650p per rights share would gross the required ^65 million to finance the trains. Under a rights issue the existing shareholders have the right to acquire 1 new share for every 10 shares held and in the example I have laid out, the shareholders would get an immediate return of 7.5% on their investment assuming that the share price stayed static throughout. However share prices go up and down like a yo-yo but stock analysts would probably look on such move as a positive step towards securing a brighter future for the FGW franchise. This in turn can chase the share price up and the rights shares would rank "pari parssi" with the existing shares and if the shares traded on the LSE rose to 750p the investors will have made a paper profit of 15% on their "rights issue" investment.

Just a thought as I wake up from my dream.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 21:54:13 by martyjon » Logged
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 22:15:13 »

Wouldn't that be nice, turn up to work a train and its a shiny new 3 car clas 172 with first class, air conditioning doors that close on their own (without having to kick them shut like on most 158's)zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....... oh bugger, i've woken up and theres a nice purple 142  waiting for me in platform 3 but I can go back to sleep coz it's just failed!
mada
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 22:50:24 »

As a more realistic suggestion how about FGW (First Great Western) start running the longer local services such as Cardiff to Portsmouth using Locos and Mark 2 Carriages refurbished to the same standard as the HST (High Speed Train)'s? I imagine they could get these trains for next to nothing. Also can someone explain why they aren't putting high density style seating without tables on the refurbished class 158's etc? What's the point in tables on local journeys? It just turns into a big battle for leg room which no one benefits from especially when people are standing yet there is nothing on the tables.

Alternatively if FGW's true motivation to hold this franchise is to run the high speed services why don't they simply contract out the local services to another operator such as SWT (South West Trains) or Virgin?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 22:54:24 by mada » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 08:49:20 »

Also can someone explain why they aren't putting high density style seating without tables on the refurbished class 158's etc?

I understand it is a technical issue related to what's where in the undercarriage / under seat equipment.  (Source - Andrew Griffiths, Tuesday evening, when this question was asked)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 14:46:06 »

Quote from a speech by Tom Harris , Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Transport at the Railway Forum Symposium (link below.)
http://www.dft.gov.uk/press/speechesstatements/speeches/railwayforumsymposium

"By January next year, we aim to publish a rolling stock plan.  This won^t be a definitive carriage by carriage allocation, but it should give a clearer indication of where capacity needs will be met."

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 21:21:02 »

Also can someone explain why they aren't putting high density style seating without tables on the refurbished class 158's etc? What's the point in tables on local journeys? It just turns into a big battle for leg room which no one benefits from especially when people are standing yet there is nothing on the tables.

I'd have to argue,there are a lot of people who do do long distance journeys on the route, especially with Children/Family

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
mada
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 21:38:56 »

Also can someone explain why they aren't putting high density style seating without tables on the refurbished class 158's etc? What's the point in tables on local journeys? It just turns into a big battle for leg room which no one benefits from especially when people are standing yet there is nothing on the tables.

I'd have to argue,there are a lot of people who do do long distance journeys on the route, especially with Children/Family

But the majority of users and the ones who pay most for the "privilege" are commuters.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 13:31:57 »

Just saw some FGW (First Great Western) 43's pulling what looked like MML» (Midland Main Line. - about) stock, are they hireing these for cover for the refits, or are they simply part of the HST (High Speed Train) expansions?
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 14:08:18 »

FGW (First Great Western) hired one coach set whilst the refurb is going on, they've had them since about March though, suprised you hadn't seen them before?
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 14:24:13 »

first time i've seen them go through here
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 17:31:22 »

The rake was down in Cornwall alot in the summer working an extra summer only service most days. Quite nice inside. Better than FGW (First Great Western) un-refurb sets.
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 19:12:59 »

First already OWN some HST (High Speed Train) set's which are used on Great Western. 5 in total I think. On the sheet given to Drivers and Guards which list variuos things including Power Car and Coach numbers they are listed as

this is a First Rail Holdings Vehicle
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 19:25:29 »

Would this be who the 142's are to be owned by as well?
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 19:30:23 »

Don't know about the 142's but Wessex owned a couple of the 143's and one would presume that FGW (First Great Western) own them now.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 11:46:12 »

Would this be who the 142's are to be owned by as well?

Don't know about the 142's but Wessex owned a couple of the 143's and one would presume that FGW (First Great Western) own them now.

The Class 142 units are all owned by Angel Trains.

All but 2 of FGW's Class 143 units are owned by Porterbrook Leasing , the exceptions being 143618 & 143619 which are owned by Rail Assets Investments Ltd.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: