27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 01:04:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UK's worst rail crash at Quintinshill remembered by relatives of victims and survivors  (Read 7739 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: September 26, 2010, 11:54:42 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

A new memorial overlooking the scene of the UK (United Kingdom)'s worst rail disaster is being unveiled.

The commemorative plaque has been installed at Quintinshill Bridge near Gretna Green in Dumfries and Galloway.

It has been put in place to honour the 227 people who died when three trains crashed at the site on 22 May 1915.

Many of those who lost their lives were soldiers with the Royal Scots who were on their way to fight in the First World War.

The special dedication ceremony is part of plans by the local community to create a heritage trail in the area.

It hopes people will turn out in force to pay tribute to those who died.

As well as claiming the lives of more than 200 people, nearly 250 more were injured in the crash.

The accident happened when a troop train carrying about 500 soldiers of the Royal Scots en route to Gallipoli crashed into a stationary goods train.

An express train from London subsequently ran straight into the wreckage.

The Royal Scots suffered the vast majority of casualties, with 215 killed, as fire ripped through the wooden train, fuelled by the gas lamps used for lighting.

The crash accounted for a large percentage of the battalion's casualties for the entire war and it remains Britain's worst rail disaster.

Two signalmen were later found guilty of negligence and jailed for their part in the incident.

The Times reported at the time under the headline "Troop Train Disaster".

It said: "Many passengers were burned alive. The dead bodies, which lie in a white farm building near the railway and in a little hall at Gretna, are charred and scorched. There will be no remains to identify some of the soldiers. The debris of the trains has been their funeral pyre."

It was also reported that King George V had sent a telegram to the general manager of the Caledonian Railway Company. "The King is shocked to hear of the terrible railway disaster near Carlisle which has cost the country many valuable lives," it said. "His Majesty deeply sympathises with those who have lost relatives and friends and trusts that you can send satisfactory reports about the injured."

Eyewitness described hearing cries of help from those who were trapped in the wreckage.

Many of those who scrambled out of the debris tried to rescue the people still stuck inside but were driven back by the heat.

Initial estimates put the death toll at 158 but that subsequently rose to more than 200.

A dedication ceremony in their honour at the site where they lost their lives takes place at 1500 BST.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 16:29:45 »

From the Daily Record:

(Note: It's a long article with many accompanying images, but given the significance of the incident and its anniversary I thought it worthy of quoting in full. bignosemac)

Quintinshill tragedy: Families gather to remember the 226 victims of Britain's worst rail disaster 100 years on

THE train crash near Gretna killed 214 of the Leith-based 7th Battalion the Royal Scots Territorial Force, who were heading the front line at Gallipoli, as well as 12 civillians.

Locals gaze disbelievingly at the scene of the crash

ON the night of May 21, 1915, Sergeant William Allan penned a love letter to his wife, in which he told her his regiment was ready to set off to war.

These were the last words Cassandra would ever hear from her husband. Less than 10 hours later, he was killed at Quintinshill near Gretna in what remains the worst rail disaster in British history.

The train crash at 6.50am on May 22 killed 214 of the Leith-based 7th Battalion the Royal Scots Territorial Force, who were heading to Liverpool before sailing for the front line at Gallipoli.

This week, more than 100 relatives of the victims and survivors will travel from all over the world to meet for the first time to mark the 100th anniversary of the tragedy which shocked Scotland.

Sergeant Allan^s grandson Dick, 67, will attend a commemoration service in Leith^s Rosebank Cemetery, where the majority of the young soldiers are buried together.

Dick^s father Eric was just 21 months old, when his father perished in the disaster.

He admits that finding his grandfather^s last letter hammered home the true extent of the tragedy.

The retired finance director, of Edinburgh, said: ^William wrote my grandmother that letter at 9pm and the following morning he was gone, killed before he had the chance to fight for his country.

Sgt Allen with his wife Cassandra and son Eric in the days before his death.

^It^s a letter of love and the last words Cassandra would ever hear from my grand-father. She died when I was nine but never spoke of the tragedy as it was too painful. But she kept the letter and the telegram sent from her brother, who had gone to Carlisle to identify William^s body before it was brought back to Leith. The horror of the tragedy is almost too much to comprehend. There was not a street in Leith that did not lose a man that day ^ a whole community of young men wiped out in minutes. That^s why it is so important to mark the 100th anniversary. I go to Rosebank every year where there is a memorial cross and a plaque in memory of the men who were killed. It will be good to meet the families of other soldiers for the first time and remember the men, whose pointless deaths had a profound effect on so many.^

The crash occurred when the troop train carrying 498 members of the battalion travelling from Larbert, Stirlingshire, collided with a local train parked on the wrong line at Quintinshill, Dumfriesshire. One minute later, a Glasgow-bound express ploughed into the wreckage. In the crash and ensuing fire, 214 men from the battalion died and a further 226 were injured.

The disaster also claimed the lives of 12 civilians including Rachel Nimmo, 28, and her baby son Dickson.

It is still the worst accident for casualties in the history of railways in Britain.

Dick, who has four grandchildren of his own, admits it is hard to comprehend the carnage the emergency services would have encountered that morning.

He said: ^The devastation must have been beyond belief. The Royal Scots troops were crammed into carriages that were still lit by gas. They would have exploded on impact setting fire to the coaches and causing horrific injuries. The true death toll is hard to know as only 53 of the soldiers, including my father, could be positively identified. His body was brought back to the drill hall in Leith, where all the coffins were laid out side by side. Those whose remains could not be identified were buried in a mass grave in Rosebank. My grandfather was buried in a family grave in Warriston Cemetery which, thanks to local historian Andrew Grant, we were able to locate a few years ago. We are one of only a few families who have an individual grave to visit.^

The anniversary of Quintinshill will be commemorated at events in Gretna, Larbert and Leith. The Edinburgh event will be attended by Princess Anne ^ the Royal Colonel in chief of 1Scots ^ and First Minister Nicola Sturgeon.

A telegram confirming William Allen's death

John Edward, 46, is the man responsible for bringing the Quintinshill descendants together for the first time.

His great-grandfather Private James McSherry was killed in the crash. He said: ^I have been going to Rosebank cemetery on the anniversary for years and as the 100th year approached the Royal Scots asked if I could help track down families of the soldiers.

^I set up a Facebook page and was soon getting messages from all over the world. To date, I^ve managed to locate the families of 120 soldiers and have uncovered some amazing stories. I^ve been able to access death certificates and provide them with photos of their loved ones who, up to now, have just been part of family mythology.^

The dad-of-two, whose mother Elizabeth will read a psalm at the service on May 23, added: ^When I started sending out tickets, I realised just how many families still live in Leith, some just doors from each other. I can^t begin to imagine how the tragedy affected the community back then. A military parade will precede the Rosebank ceremony and will follow the route taken by the funeral cortege in 1915, leaving from the old drill hall in Dalmeny Street. We are hoping people will line the streets and, although the service is all ticketed, the public can watch the ceremony on big TV screens in Pilrig park.^

The service will be conducted by South Leith parish minister Iain May, 55, who discovered his great uncle Private John May died in the disaster while preparing for the event.

He said: ^I could not believe it when I saw his name among the roll call of the dead. A bit of digging revealed he was my uncle and the spitting image of my son. I^ve always been moved by the disaster but this year, the anniversary will have personal meaning.^

Alistair Stark, 66, whose great uncle Pipe Major James Gear perished, has flown in from Ontario, Canada.

James has a Royal Scots march on the pipes composed in his honour.

Former Canadian reserve soldier Alistair, who will march in the parade, said: ^James was 42 when he died. He had been told he was too old to join his former regiment the King^s Own Scottish Borderers so he joined the Leith territorials instead and ended up on the fateful train. I will march with great pride and honour in his memory next Saturday.^

Amy Biggers, 55, the grandaughter of Private John Biggers, has travelled from New Jersey for the centenary.

John survived the crash and the horrors of Gallipoli and went on to fly Bristol Fighters. His brother Martin also survived, having missed the train that morning.

Amy said: ^My grandfather would have been 19 when he boarded that train. He spoke often about the crash and remembered every detail as if it were yesterday. I can^t imagine such a devastating event ^ his friends were burned alive next to him and he only managed to escape by the skin of his teeth. He was a lucky man indeed. The Quintinshill disaster was really a double tragedy. First, there was the event itself then there was the loss of remembrance as the event was publicly minimised. This year, we will all gather together to bring respect and honour to those involved.^

Royal Scots soldiers who survived the crash load wounded men onto a hospital train at the disaster site

No enemy plot just a terrible mistake

BRITAIN'S War Cabinet at first feared the Quintinshill rail disaster was an act of sabotage.

Secret government documents released in 2012 show that David Lloyd George and his team considered suspicions that signalman George Meakin was a German sympathiser.

The rumours were never substantiated but Meakin was jailed for 18 months for his part in the crash.

Meakin had worked the night shift and was relieved by James Tinsley who started work half an hour late because he had been on the local train which stopped at Quintinshill.

Meakin had covered the extra half hour and recorded all the details of the delay on a piece of paper so that Tinsley could copy it into the train register.

Tragically, it is believed that while catching up with the paperwork, Tinsley had been distracted and forgot about the stationary local train and oncoming troop train.

A jury took just eight minutes to find both railmen guilty of culpable homicide due to gross neglect of their duties. Tinsley was jailed for three years.

George Meechan was jailed for 18 months for his part in the crash

TV history man charts the horror

A new BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) documentary includes a dramatic re-enactment of the disaster at Quintinshill.

Presenter Neil Oliver said: ^By 1915, the reality of the Great War was beginning to dawn.

^Military disasters were plaguing the government and the strain was starting to take its toll. Then, in May 1915, everybody got precisely what they didn^t want, another disaster.^

Colonel Robert Watson, of the Royal Scots, said many of the victims would have been boys as young as 15 who lied about their age to join up.

He added: ^They were worried the war was going to be over by Christmas and they would miss out.^

Quintinshill: Britain^s Deadliest Rail Disaster is on BBC2 on Wednesday at 9pm.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 18:07:36 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 17:40:12 »

According to this page of the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) website, the programme is only on BBC Scotland at that time & date. Make sense - the Daily Record is a Scots newspaper!

Page to the bottom & there are two repeats on BBC4 - Thursday at 2100 & 0245 very early Friday morning.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 17:46:48 »

Will also be in the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) iPlayer.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 17:56:42 »

Thanks for those clarifications about the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) programme.

There are some teaser clips available to watch at the link ChrisB provided.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05vqx7v?ns_mchannel=email&ns_source=inxmail_newsletter&ns_campaign=bbcfour_iplayer__&ns_linkname=na&ns_fee=0

Also, the text below final picture in the article I quoted has spelled George Meakin's name incorrectly. The Daily Record's error, not mine.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 18:56:34 »

Got it set to record at 2.45am Friday BBC4 HD. Both showings have only optional subtitles, not someone talking over it or making rude gestures at the bottom of the screen.

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 19:00:32 »

Many thanks for posting about the centenary commemorations of this tragic event, bignosemac.

Purely in the interests of continuity, I've merged a couple of topics here, and amended the heading for clarity.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 22:24:34 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Quintinshill: train disaster mercy killings 'probable'

A senior retired army officer has said some soldiers were "probably" shot in mercy killings after Britain's deadliest rail disaster, 100 years ago during World War One.

The crash, at Quintinshill near Gretna, involved a military train filled with troops - most of them from Leith - two passenger trains and two goods trains.

It claimed an estimated 228 lives and left hundreds more injured.

There are no official army accounts of the alleged shootings on 22 May 1915.

However, many reports written in the press at the time of the accident suggested that some trapped soldiers, threatened with the prospect of being burnt alive in the raging inferno, took their own lives or were shot by their officers. These reports were long denied for lack of official reports.

Now 100 years later, Colonel Robert Watson, one of the most senior veterans of the Royal Scots, has told the makers of a BBC documentary - Quintinshill: Britain's Deadliest Rail Disaster - it "probably" did happen.

He said that despite the lack of formal documentation he believed that in a very few cases, perhaps only one or two, they might well have taken place.

'Sense of compassion'

Colonel Watson said: "All those that could be rescued were rescued. Many of them had amputations carried out underneath burning carriages so that they could be rescued. But many, of course, were trapped in such a position that they couldn't be got out or else the fire had taken hold and they couldn't be got to. And of course since then we've heard stories of some soldiers being shot and some soldiers possibly taking their own lives. It's never been formally documented."

Referring to the reported shootings, he added: "My own personal belief is that it probably did happen, in a sense of compassion, of mercy killing. It's almost impossible, sitting here, to comprehend what it was like that morning."

This section of the interview will not feature in the documentary which focuses on the events which led up to the horrific collision and the court case and inquiries which followed.

Presenter Neil Oliver examines the investigation and trial of two signalmen, held entirely responsible for the tragedy, that took place afterwards.

The documentary, produced by Finestripe for BBC Scotland, explores the series of mistakes that may have caused the collision and the part played by the train companies and the government and determines whether the investigation would have come to the same conclusions if it were carried out today.

Dramatised reconstructions add to the account of a tragedy which had a profound effect on several communities in Scotland and remains the deadliest in the annals of Britain's railways.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 18:44:06 »

A reminder that the documentary is now available on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) iPlayer and will be broadcast on BBC Four tonight at 9pm.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: