19/04/24 05:33 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 00:03:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Information updates when a train gets into difficulties  (Read 7469 times)
Commuting Bookworm

View Profile Email
« on: October 30, 2010, 00:38:53 »

Tonight my train from Basingstoke to Reading, skidded through Mortimer, apparently unable to stop. Even though we ended up quite frightened, and not knowing what had happened, the information passed to us from the guard was useless, let alone not reassuring. Sometimes things go wrong, this is life, but why can't staff realise that knowledge is not a power kick and we passangers have a right to just as much as they have! Very disgruntled commuter. Angry Sad Cry
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 00:49:59 »

Very sorry to hear of your bad experience on the train this evening, FISHERMANFRED.

On FGW (First Great Western) live updates, the only reference was,

Line problem between Reading and Basingstoke.
Train services are being disrupted due to a trespass incident between Reading and Basingstoke. Short notice alterations, cancellations and delays of up to 50 minutes can be expected.
Last Updated: 29/10/2010 21:40

Can anyone offer more information on this?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
coachflyer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 01:11:38 »

Mortimer is a well known area of poor rail conditions. Its a regular place for trains slipping through.

When the wind and rail started this evening it became very treacherous out there for a time. Very easy to get caught out.

I know its no excuse but the guard is not one of Readings finest and am not too surprised at their lack of communication skills.

SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 15:29:40 »

Thats why I have FGW (First Great Western) LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) and HSS (High Speed Services) controls on speed dial on my phone.
I'll always give them 10mins before I'll go and find out what's going on, and to offer my assistance if so required.

Else ill phone up someone with access to trust and get them to tell me what is going on.

Now why cant they invent Trust on a mobile phone.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Commuting Bookworm

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 08:20:00 »

Thank you Chris, Coachflyer and SDS pad, for your words. They do help, especially when experiancing a bad journey. I was not aware of the fact Mortimer being so bad, but I will at least stay a bit calmer next time. 
Fish

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 11:35:21 »

I received a few reports that the information given to passengers was of a poor quality and have reported the fact directly to the Guards Manager at Reading depot.
The driver informed me train may well have had a fault with the sanding mechanism which attempts to provide better adhesion between the rails and wheels and was immediately taken out of service at Reading.  The driver had worked the train forward very cautiously to avoid further problems before the train was able to be inspected.  It is worth pointing out that although this point is notorious for poor adhesion, it is also a potentially alarming situation for the driver!
Its a pity better information was not given to passengers who were understandably concerned.  Unfortunately some people are able to deliver to a higher level of service than others.
The trespassing incident referred to above was a separate thing which occurred later in the evening near Southcote Junction, and led to the cancellation of the 2210 service from Reading.
Commuting Bookworm

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 11:57:14 »

Fish... I felt for the driver becuase as passengers we knew something had gone wrong, but did not know what. The driver must have been even more scarred becuase he knew the train had a fault, but had to drive back to Reading. I can only compare it to when I have skidded in the car, as the driver its worse I think.

Its not fair that all guards have the same job discription, and pay, but some are just rubbish and others are good. Are they not measured on their performance? I understand that not all passangers are as polite as they should be, and no doubt all guards have bad days, but as paying passangers I do think we derserve a better level of service & information than was offered on Friday night.

Thank you for letting me know what went wrong though, beleive it or not it does help, especially when the journey has to repeated every day.
Regards
Fish

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 12:40:57 »

Of course you are right, though guards are primarily measured on their ability to safely operate the train, communicate correctly with the driver, knowledge of the line of route and understanding of the railway rule book.  That is not to say customer announcements and service is not covered, but is only a small part.  And what is measured in a simulation exercise can be quite different in reality.
The main way in which a member of staff is likely to be challenged about poor customer service is if a number of similar complaints were made against them (as anyone can be complained about unreasonably by an angry customer in isolation) and this is why I passed the information on the line manager concerned, so if there is a pattern it can be investigated.
hornbeam

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 14:15:57 »

I travel from Reading to Newbury. I know this time of the year rail conditions are poor and my train took an extra 15mins to get to Reading on Friday as the train just couldn^t get any grip for the whole journey. However, even in summer if there is just a hint of rain the same thing happens. Do all the units have sanders? I guess even a little bit of slipping causes damage, and if a unit has an engine down are they less likely to run it this time of the year? Also are turbos worse than the rest of the fleet? Just interested  Grin
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 15:05:08 »

Turbos are probably as good if not better than other similar units.  They are fitted with both sanding under braking and sanding under traction (the former is automatic when step 2 or more of the brake is selected and the system detects wheelslip, the driver chooses whether to use the latter).

Some other types of unit only have sanding under braking, some still have neither - those are generally not fitted with disc brakes, so the brake pads rubbing against the outer part of the wheel stops most of the problems.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Commuting Bookworm

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 08:26:10 »

I think the 0707 this morning had the same problem, pulling out of Bramley, though not as sever today. Also not so scary for me becuase I know, thanks to you guys what was going on. But sadly, still not reasuring announcement from the train guard. Perhaps becuase they spend all their working hours on the trains they forget about these little instances causing passangers worry.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: