Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 17:37:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[273] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[84] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[36] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[7] IETs at Melksham
[6] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 1730 Manchester to Milford Haven service  (Read 9559 times)
Jez

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2010, 18:45:37 »

Anyone know why this service appears to be 2 different services now? The National Rail Enquiries is showing it as a Manchester-Cardiff and Cardiff-Milford Haven service with around a 6 minute connection time in Cardiff. Im booked on this to travel from Manchester to Port Talbot tomorrow and my ticket when I bought it showed a direct train.  Is this to do with engineering work?
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 20:10:44 »

Interesting question that...

It's shown in the printed timetable as a through service, arriving Cardiff 2059 and departing at 2106. But using a different journey planner shows 1V92 1730 MAN-CDF» (Cardiff - next trains), booked into platform 3A at CDF 2059, then a 2106 departure 1B92 CDF-MFH from platform 7. That's the minimum connection time for Cardiff of 7 minutes.

That train is a bit of an oddity, since it goes round the curve at Landore and doesn't call Swansea (to my knowledge it's the only train each day that misses Swansea, at least in that direction). But I've used it before, admittedly before the new timetable came into force, and it was a through train.

Either way shouldn't be much of a problem for you I suspect - you can check with the staff when you get on, and even if you do need to connect in Cardiff you have the appropriate connection time available.
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 21:07:35 »

I can only think they are using a different unit which is why, but it must be a very late change as I booked it less than 2 weeks ago and on the print out of the journey its says at Manchester Pic to get on the Milford Haven train.

Platform 7 is a bit odd too - usually they depart from 3 or 4. Will post when I return what unit it is and why they have changed it.

Yes it is odd for a train to miss out Swansea especially as people will want to travel from Swansea to West Wales.
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 21:25:05 »

I had a quick look earlier and the arrival was showing on live departures as going into platform 7 today - very strange. Nothing showing under alterations. Perhaps some sort of work affecting access to platforms... or maybe one of those errors!

Isn't it the one the hour before that misses Swansea? It overtakes and then waits for the FGW (First Great Western) Padd-Carmarthen, so journey opportunities to and from Swansea are covered for that hour by the Padd-Carmarthen service. The first Carmarthen-Manchester in the morning also misses Swansea; they also miss out Neath, suggesting that they go via the District Line (like the daytime Fishguards) - probably to allow drivers to retain route knowledge at times when it causes the least inconvenience.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 22:22:03 »

Nope, 1B92 is definitely shown by NRES (National Rail Enquiry Service) as running fast Neath to Gowerton, bypassing Swansea. I was wondering if it takes the Swansea district line, seeing as it's booked a massive 44 minutes between the Neath and Gowerton calls, but I think the call at Neath rules that out, doesn't it? I'm a bit puzzled.

You are correct thought that 1V91, the 1630 MAN-MFH, is due to run via Morlais Junc and makes no station calls between Port Talbot and Llanelli - I've almost been caught out by this before when using tickets to west Wales that were split at Swansea, so had to hop on the FGW (First Great Western) service then make the change in Carmarthen, albeit arriving at my destination at exactly the same time I would have!

Edited to add...
On reflection I suppose a boring answer might be just that for some weird reason the Swansea call is missing from the journey planner, since the paper timetable shows a Swansea call arriving 2207. I can't find any indication of engineering work on the ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) or NRES websites that would explain why this train would by by-passing Swansea tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 22:51:35 by inspector_blakey » Logged
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 21:08:20 »

Oh dear...after all that it looks like 1V92 was part-cancelled and started short, 17 late from Crewe. I assume this was caused by a delay to the outward working. But it's now showing as a through Crewe-Milford train, with a call at Swansea and has apparently just left Cardiff 6 down. Although I don't suppose that was much use to you, Jez, if you were going to board it in Manchester!
Jeremy Segrott

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 22:08:21 »

My first post on this forum ...
Noticed a board at Cardiff Central tonight advising of changes to normal platform arrangements until 5th November.  Very unusual to see anything other than Valley Line services and the odd freight using Platform 7 normally.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 22:17:05 »

... in which case, may I offer you a very warm welcome to the Coffee Shop forum!  Grin

Chris.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 23:58:26 »

We were advised to board the 1738 service to Crewe - this was the stopping service calling at most stations between Manchester and Crewe. It took what felt like forever!  Then had to wait in Crewe for the 1909 Carmarthen service (which should have formed the 1830 off Manchester) but arrived from South Wales and then terminated and went back to Carmarthen.

Ended up getting back 1 hour 10 mins late. Were told at Crewe the reason was a broken down train in the Cwmbran area and no trains were able to pass for up to 3 hours, so trains were terminated early and cancelled for the Manc-Crewe part of the journey it seems. Luckily staff at Picadilly were able to inform passengers to use Northern Rail services to Crewe.

So what would have been the 1730 left Crewe 17 mins late? Had it not taken so long on the Crewe stopping service I might have got that. It was advertised as Cardiff Central rather than Milford on the departure boards at Picadilly, with cancelled by the side. Maybe its an error as im sure that service runs direct to Milford. Its the 19.30 from Manchester which requires a connection to Carmarthen.

Another thing, is there an issue for some of the 175s - had to change units at Cardiff as they said there was a fault with it. The train going up this morning didnt sound too clever either.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 00:03:47 by Jez » Logged
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 00:00:49 »

Noticed a board at Cardiff Central tonight advising of changes to normal platform arrangements until 5th November.  Very unusual to see anything other than Valley Line services and the odd freight using Platform 7 normally.

Welcome to the forum.

The 22xx service from Cardiff to Carmarthen departed from platform 4 tonight.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 15:30:55 »

Well, at least some small consolation is that you were late enough for a full refund!
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 19:14:06 »

Well, at least some small consolation is that you were late enough for a full refund!

Yes thats true!  Grin
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 19:43:59 »

I have been on a few class 175's that have developed faults. Although according to some staff i have spoken to the class 175's do seem to sometimes have trouble starting from stations on the marches line if the rails are slippery although i have noticed that the class 158's are worse.

As for avoiding swansea using the Llandore curve, i do know that the Fishguard - cheltenham service does sometimes work via that route rather than the Swansea district route.
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 20:25:12 »

I noticed the 175 was having trouble starting off at certain stations.

Well looking at the departure boards tonight it looks like the 1730 is running up to 45 mins late! I wonder whats going on tonight.

What time does the Fishguard-Cheltenham run?
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 23:37:37 »

1G97, dep FGH 1330, arr CNM» (Cheltenham Spa - next trains) 1731.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 18:53:53 by inspector_blakey » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: