Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:20:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Plaque marks place in history for 1880s listed footbridge at Wokingham Station  (Read 16143 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2021, 16:19:56 »

Does Wokingham have a dual sewerage system (foul and storm)?

Thames Water do have big surface water sewers, mainly for the roads, and one runs close to the car park. Where that leads I don't know - there is another one that does the obvious, and runs down the main road, but this one goes cross-country and actually runs right under those cabins.

So that end of the new road, and the car park (before and after up-storeying), drain into that 975 mm SW sewer. There are no houses along Station Approach (aka Link Road), so it has no foul sewer along it - the station has its own drain going the other way, to Station Road.

The terminology is a bit confusing - are there really some places with surface water sewers separate from road drainage? And practice varies a lot too.  Whether a surface water sewer discharges to a watercourse (the Emm Brook would be the nearest here) or into a foul sewer is another question altogether.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2021, 20:29:08 »

The terminology is a bit confusing - are there really some places with surface water sewers separate from road drainage? And practice varies a lot too.  Whether a surface water sewer discharges to a watercourse (the Emm Brook would be the nearest here) or into a foul sewer is another question altogether.
Some definitions

A sewer intended to transport both foul sewage and surface water is a combined sewer. 
A sewer intended to transport only foul sewage is a foul sewer
A sewer intended to transport only surface water is a surface water sewer
A pipe transporting only surface water from roads is technical a highway drain and is not a sewer at all. 

I could go on, as I could write a whole book on it - well I have written a whole chapter of a book on it. 
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2021, 23:03:36 »

The confusion goes further. Over the decades the responsibility for sewers has changed hands. One upon a time it was the old borough, rural and urban districts. After the 1974 local government reorganisation it passed to the new second tier authorities before being transferred to the new privatised water and sewer companies under the Water Industry Act 1991.

The old local authorities had varying standards of record keeping and supervision of drainage works. An extreme example was when much of Caversham passed from Henley Rural District Council to the County Borough of Reading in the 1920s there were almost no records kept to pass over, so even in the 1980s Reading Borough Council did not know where many of Caversham's sewers ran. Prior to 1974 the highways and sewerage authority were often the same, so the distinction between surface water sewers and highway drains seems to have not been something that many councils saw as important.

In the vicinity of railways there are also drains constructed as accommodation works when the railways were built too. Who know what has been connected into them since the nineteenth century.

The categories set out by Ellendune is I think clear. The problem is finding out what the sewers actually do if they are old, rather than modern sewers laid out under agreements with the sewer undertakers.
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2021, 23:43:05 »

Perhaps this subject and the new siding could be merged, called interesting things at Wokingham. yes drains and sidings, with the re instatement of existing mechanical signalling from the levers in the signal box IS good to learn about, if that is what is afoot?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2021, 18:56:53 »

Perhaps this subject and the new siding could be merged, called interesting things at Wokingham. yes drains and sidings, with the re instatement of existing mechanical signalling from the levers in the signal box IS good to learn about, if that is what is afoot?

I can't see why - it's not as if either board is particularly full of threads. However, it does look a bit odd that they are not on the same board. I guess that just happens if boards are labelled for services, and two run through Wokingham station.

Incidentally, the crew support module has disappeared, as have all the crews. Presumably it was for the scaffolders and wrappers. The next step is I think to wait for listed building consent - all that's been done so far is a little light dismantling, perhaps to facilitate scaffolding and wrapping.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2021, 23:03:57 »

Incidentally, the crew support module has disappeared, as have all the crews. Presumably it was for the scaffolders and wrappers. The next step is I think to wait for listed building consent - all that's been done so far is a little light dismantling, perhaps to facilitate scaffolding and wrapping.

Following the revised planning application (no. 203386), and that burst of on-site activity, we expected a decision after the end of the consultation on 4th February. It came the next day, but that urgency was not matched by the work: nothing for four weeks. Then the grit-blasters (Tighe) arrived, for four days of blasting, then today it was on to painting.

The blasters turned up with loads of mysterious machinery, heaps of grit, and their own generator, plus a Very Big Hose. The wrapping (plus all the extraction and containment kit) did appear to keep the paint dust inside the wrappings, but not the noise they were making. I can't believe it's a remotely pleasant way to spend your day. There was more stuff in their work site, on the nearer car park, and an employee welfare van. So, not using the plumbed-in shed in the other car park? No, because my guess about its purpose was wrong. I've now been able to get to its front door, and seen the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) sign saying it provides extra staff accommodation to conform with Covid-19 rules.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2021, 23:28:28 »

The footbridge was allowed out of housetent arrest last weekend. I'm not sure why some bits had not been given the full blasting and coating treatment - most likely the scaffolding and wrapping got in the way. There wasn't a full possession today, so maybe it will be done next time there is one - nothing much was done this week, anyway. So I still have to watch the time when I zoom out for my daily walk; I keep getting caught by the barriers.

The final colour is to be Maunsell Green, though I'm not sure that was ever used for structures or buildings. So is that what's already been applied to most of it? I'd been expecting a protective coating and then a final finish coat done heritage-fashion. But maybe not.

But the good news is that there does seem to be a lot of metal left.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2021, 17:48:39 »

At long last the footbridge reopened yesterday - no ceremony, and we'll have to wait and see if the council's heritage officer has any quibbles. It's been closed since 3/12/20, which is more than 24 weeks. I don't think that actual work on the bridge can have occupied more than eight weeks. There's been a lot of waiting - for planning decisions, for wood, for other bits and pieces, and mainly for scheduling the several contractors' teams to turn up.

The old bridge has been fully coated in this famous Maunsell green, but the new bits have come in approved colours for NR» (Network Rail - home page) footbridges. So the tread edges are white, with yellow at the top and bottom of a flight; the handrails are yellow, and already seem to have bits missing (but may have been fitted like that), and those big fixing bolts are au naturel. There were arguments about what they were going to do to fix the masonry, but seem to have ended up doing very little.

In the first picture you can see how the one of the three supporting rails curves out of the platform face towards the track. This was far from evident before the painting. According to the original drawings, those three "verticals" are bolted to a big slab (of concrete, I guess) just below track level.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: