21:00 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:15 Great Malvern to Bristol Temple Meads
22:36 Worcester Shrub Hill to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 22:41:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Arriva Trains Wales drivers vote for strike action  (Read 29737 times)
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 21:01:49 »

But now they've backed down on legal advice.  Presumably, since ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) members wouldn't have crossed the picket lines, ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) would have sued RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) for the revenue loss on the grounds that they'd induced the problem.
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 22:00:31 »

Well now the ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) strike has been cancelled on Friday, are they likely to strike again in the near future - likely to be a Saturday or weekday? Its so annoying you cant make plans to travel incase they end up striking, its so inconvenient for the passengers!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2011, 23:46:24 »

Please don't shoot the messenger, but the result was ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/9386391.stm  Tongue

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2011, 00:20:42 »

Please don't shoot the messenger, but the result was ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/9386391.stm  Tongue

B*gg*r. I was gonna watch the highlights on iPlayer shortly. Clicked on the the link without thinking and then tried to close the window with my eyes closed. That worked, but I then went to bbc.co.uk/sport to cue up the highlights and the bleddy score was there in bold on the front page. Arggghh  Angry

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2011, 20:01:13 »

Unless ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) and ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) reach agreement
Andypandy

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2011, 18:48:46 »

and Strike action again on Sunday and Monday! yey!
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2011, 23:18:47 »

First cymru putting extra vehicles on their  Swansea - Cardiff greyhound servce on monday to hel cope with extra passengers.

i suspect a lot of their buses will be crowded with extra passengers.

I suspect Stagecoach will find their X4 Hereford -Abergevenny - Brynmawr - Merthyr Tydfil - Pontypridd - Cardiff service will be very busy on monday.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2011, 18:06:26 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Arriva Trains Wales strike to go ahead from midnight

Train services will be affected from midnight on Saturday as two days of industrial action by drivers from Arriva Trains Wales begin.

The action called by the Aslef union follows a long-running pay dispute.

There will be no Arriva Trains Wales services on Sunday or Monday and no alternative transport is being provided.

Managers say an offer of a 12% rise over two years is extremely generous.

The union has accused the company of paying Welsh drivers less than their English counterparts.

The 01.50 GMT Fishguard Harbour to Cardiff service on Sunday will be replaced by a bus service but passengers on all other services are being advised to make alternative travel arrangements.

Services on Tuesday are also likely to be disrupted as the network returns to normal.

Peter Leppard, Operations Director for Arriva Trains Wales, said: "Arriva Trains Wales' senior management and officials from the ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) and RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) trade unions have been in talks for many months in an attempt to reach a final agreement on pay and working conditions for train drivers.

"We are extremely disappointed that once again our generous offer has been rejected and that the planned industrial action by ASLEF for 27 and 28 February will go ahead."

He said the strike would cause significant inconvenience to customers.

An Aslef spokesman said: "We regret the disruption to the service and our passengers but we would not have staged the strike if there had been any alternatives."

For service updates customers are advised to check the Arriva Trains Wales website - www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk or contact National Rail Enquiries on 08457 48 49 50.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Jez

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2011, 11:05:27 »

Its going to be like a ghost town at Cardiff Central today and tomorrow - especially tomorrow.

Im booked onto the 0756 Neath-Manchester service (0745 off Swansea) on Tuesday so hoping it does run. Im guessing if its late or cancelled I can get the next available ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) service to Manchester despite having an advanced ticket?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2011, 16:46:09 »

A video news report, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Rail stations in Wales deserted as train drivers strike

Train services across Wales have been severely disrupted for a second day because of a strike by drivers.

Members of Aslef at Arriva Trains Wales are staging a 24-hour walk-out in a dispute about pay.

More than 900 services have been cancelled as a result.

By the way: that seagull at the beginning of the report looks rather disappointed with no train drivers for it to attack ... (see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=8517.0) Grin

anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2011, 18:00:17 »

There was a bit of anger today as members of the public were playing hell about there being no ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) services.

Stagecoach bus  services from the valleys into cardiff and First cymru services into Swansea & Cardiff were also doing very well.

Sadly for the ALSEF drivers it seems that  from talking to a lot of people today that this strike has backfired on them as it seems that a lot of people  are not happy with them for going on strike today.

Mind you not to be out done a few people i was talking today today while in swansea had a few choice words to say about the ATW management which i wont mention here

overall  the only winners today seem to be the bus bandits
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2011, 18:38:50 »

It was strange to see only FGW (First Great Western) 125s pass today, no DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit)'s. Hopefully it will all be back to normal tomorrow.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2011, 18:57:50 »

I was a bit dumbstruck by the people in the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) article claiming they had no idea there was a strike going on. I can only assume they spend their lives with their head stuck in a bin, never reading a newspaper, listening to the radio, turning on the TV or looking on the internet. I live in America and it's been made pretty prominent on the BBC News website for the last several days, I'm amazed it was possible to live in Wales and not be aware of the strike.
Andypandy

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2011, 20:12:42 »

No Services on Sunday 6 March
01 March 2011
There will be no Arriva Trains Wales train services on Sunday 6th March. This is due to an overtime working ban imposed by the ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) union.
There will be a limited bus service to key locations throughout the network and details will be published here as soon as possible.
First Great Western, Cross County and Virgin Trains services will not be affected by this strike action.

Again!!
Coming back from Manchester to Hereford, can I use my ticket on crosscountry to Bhm then on london midland to Hereford?
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2011, 20:35:12 »

Most likely, but if you go to the ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) website and follow the link on the front page, there is an "FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)" section lower down the page in which they state both that they're working on some limited rail replacement buses, and a ticket easement policy for 6 March. Check that nearer the time.

http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/Templates/News.aspx?pageid=2217

Presumably since ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) haven't got their way through striking they're now exercising their right not to work on Sundays. Which, if I was ATW management, wouldn't encourage me to give them a pay deal in which they can continue to refuse to work Sundays, if you see what I mean. Roll Eyes
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: